[OBSOLETE] BigTalker 2.x

I sure did sir!

I have a feeling there is something funky going on with SmartThings right now. I tried to go into the IDE to look / test code but I keep getting the 500 Internal Server Errorā€¦ Maybe itā€™ll work again when this is resolved

(EDIT: I think I have found the issue, Day restriction isnā€™t being calculated correctly with SHM eventā€™s. Iā€™ll resolve once I can get back into the IDE to edit and test.)

LOLā€¦ And they just issued an alert.

I am having the same issue here. But its with BigTalker 2 parent and child apps along with some others. Not every smartapp when i try to edit gives this error. Strange. When I click few smartapps I am able to edit them.

IDE is working again so I was able to test the patch for the SHM issue.
2.0.4 has been released to resolve the SHM issue.

Is there a way to add a sound (like a ding or a short alert tone) before speech? For two reasons, one is that it would be much cooler to have an alert sound before speech, and also as others have mentioned the first part of the the speech Iā€™m setting is getting cut off (likely from my speakers taking time to start, ā€¦Iā€™m using Bose)

@rayzurbock

Good news and bad news.

Good News:

• SHM is working again!
  • SHM using Voice overrides work! Brian our British Butler is announcing wonderfully!

Bad News:

• SHM does not use global default voice. Hence Good News #2 but really bad news as another bug

Great job btw!

1 Like

Is it using ā€œSalliā€ if you do not set a voice?

Just for others as @rayzurbock and I are working on this in the background (more him than me).

Salli is the only voice when no override occurs for SHM.

1 Like

Wondering if you can help me figure out why this phrase isnā€™t working. The phrase tokens for day and date are just being spoken literally saying ā€œpercent date percentā€. Thanks!

Its Now %time% %today% %date% And %weathercurrent% And The Forecast For %weathertoday%

I was able to duplicate the issue using your phrase. Iā€™ll have that resolved in the next release.
Note: %today% should be %day%.

This phrase spoke a little weird, Once the next release is out, I would suggest:
Its now %time%, %day%, %date%. %weathercurrent%. %weathertoday%
which speaks:
its now 10:59 am - Saturday - march 03. the current temperature is 59 degrees. todays forecast is plentiful sunshine. high 64 degrees fahrenheit. winds east southeast at 5 to 10 miles per hour.

Your current phrase (with %today% replaced with %day%) speaks:
its now 10:59 am Saturday march 03 and the current temperature is 59 degrees and todays forecast is plentiful sunshine. high 64 degrees fahrenheit. winds east southeast at 5 to 10 miles per hour.

Just a suggestion, if you like it that way, keep it.

1 Like

Thanks for the help and also many thanks for including all of those phrase tokens in the smartapp - theyā€™re useful.

@rayzurbock I have BigTalker 2 setup with Cast-web 0.2 on Raspberry Pi and everything works in getting the notifications out of my GH devices. The only issue I see is that the music i am streaming before the notification is being played, doesnā€™t resume after the notification is played. Is there anyway that this could be done? I see that PlayTrackAndResume or PlayTrackAndRestore commands are sent to Cast devices (GH) and currently cast-web has no implemenation on the resume function and the developer Tobias mentioned that he has plans to implement resume only for preset tracks being played when the notification arrives.

Is there anyway to find out the track or stream that is being played on the GH device and send that info to the Cast-web or DLNA player to resume it?

@rayzurbock ,

I use BigTalker 2 and LANNouncer , love its !
Could you add : Power monitor ( power goes below or above a threshold ) in your support events.
Thanks.

This is in the development version now. I still have some bugs to work out but it will be in the next release

2 Likes

BigTalker just handles the event processing/logic. Once it makes the call to the Device Handler (ie: playTextAndRestore(), playTextAndResume()), itā€™s up to the device handler to process and send the commands needed to the physical device. BigTalker doesnā€™t have any other way to handle the device except through the Device Handlerā€™s standard calls.

RELEASE 2.0.5

• P2.0.5
    • Resolved an issue with some phrase token translations not working as expected (specifically %date%, %day%)
    • Attempt to resolve preservation of default voice selection for musicPlayer mode (default selected voice wasnā€™t properly applied, always used Salli)
  • C2.0.5
    • Added Power Meter event (speak on high, normal, low wattage options), use %value% to speak the wattage value (only applicable in PowerMeter event).
    • Small visual adjustments for Restrictions section in event configuration
    • Added option to tie an event to a physical/virtual switch for disablement (ie: selected switch off = donā€™t speak for this event)

To Update:

2 Likes

Small oops.
If you updated within the last hour, I forgot to update the icons in 2.0.5 to the 2.0.5 version; therefore even after updating, the SmartThings apps will still show an ā€œUpdate Availableā€ X over the BigTalker icon.
Iā€™ve resubmitted 2.0.5 to the repo correcting this.

Hi. I hope someone can point me in the right direction here.
I found this project yesterday (Iā€™m new to SmartThings) and got the BigTalker2 working with VLC. I created a number of Groups, and one of them - Smart Home Monitor, is giving me some problems. Everything worked at first, but now for some reason, no matter what I do, I keep getting error ā€œBigTalker couldnā€™t announce: Smart Home Monitor is nowā€¦ā€. I tried deleting and recreating the group, but it still doesnā€™t work.

Any help is appreciated.

Iā€™m going to guess that this is related to the SmartThings Platform issues today. ( https://status.smartthings.com/). Once those are resolved, If you still have issues, please enable debug logging in BigTalker (Configure Defaults page at the bottom), then login to the IDE and go to Live Logging ( https://graph.api.smartthings.com/ide/logs ) then change SHM modes to see if errors from BigTalker are shown.

1 Like