[OBSOLETE] BigTalker 2.x

If anyone is having trouble getting BigTalker 2 set-up or would like to see BigTalker 2 used with Echo Speaks I made a video on how to do both!

I still have no sound coming from Sonos, others have said the same. As others have replied here, the Sonos speakers are now showing with Audio Notifications. The app can be configured for defaults and then add

Have you been able to resolve this? If so, how?

@the_stranger, Please excuse me. I donā€™t know what are you talking about. Almost 3 weeks ago, I have posted here an updated version of the app called Bigtalker2-SonosMod

You are the only one who complains all around the community forum that something is not working, but meanwhile you are not reading what other people has replied to you.

If you have any problem with the aforementioned version of the SmartApp, then post here the debug from the live logging. Otherwise read what other has already wrote to you.

Thanks, while I do very much appreciate your contribution to update the Bigtalker app, Iā€™m not the only one asking questions here. Sonos quit working as it had before, Iā€™m just trying to understand how to solve this, if it can be solved. I did try your code, Iā€™m not getting sound from Sonos, others reported the same and again, I was simply trying to see if others found a solution or if I had missed something. Sorry if my communication or question came across to you as complaining.

@the_stranger, Who other? Where? What is the error in the live logging when there is no sound from the Sonos?
I cannot do anything with that, ā€œit is not workingā€.

Tell me what is the problem. What DH are you using, what is the error message. Make screenshots shots of the SmartApp, how you set it up. Make screenshots of the error in the live logging. Etc.

Thanks @jnewbury2280! Works great.

So @the_stranger, so far 5 days has gone and you havenā€™t replied with any error messages, screenshots or anything. The same has happened before. If you cannot read what other people wrote to you. And you are unable to answer the helpful questions, then please do a favor for the community and donā€™t post here any more issues of yours. Thanks!

Did you come up with a solution? This would be a worthwhile addition to Bigtalker.
Al

100% noob hereā€¦ I have Sonos speakers with Google Assistant as my voice service on them; should this still work? My Sonos speakers are linked to ST but when i try to configure BigTalker, where it states ā€˜Talk with:ā€™ my Sonos speakers are not listed here for me to choose. I have tried this with BigTalker setup for both ā€˜Music Player and Speech Synthesisā€™ and the result is the same. Can anyone advise me? ā€“ Thanks

Edit: I am trying this on the latest version of the app, not the original oneā€¦

Iā€™ve posted above a mod version which works with the new Sonos DH. Have a look on that, if you have migrated the DH to the new one.

Iā€™ll apologise in advance; Im not sure what DH is and Iā€™m also struggling to find the mod that youā€™ve posted. Do you mean youā€™ve posted new code that I copy into smart things to create the app? As i say, 100% noobā€¦struggling to even find my way round the forum lol. Are you able to send me the code, or post it in a message? - Many Thanks :slight_smile:

The new DH is the LAN Websocket version. You can check in the IDE which one you are using.

Iā€™ve postet the mod here:

Sorry for the delay, Iā€™ve had personal issues that have kept me away. I was able to get GSzbados solution to work, as well as the Echo Speaks solution. Thanks again to @jnewbury2280 and @GSzabados for your contribution.

For Alan, @AJM3 the update for BigTalker that @GSzabados provided does work, allowing the app to do exactly what we had before the change in the Sonos device type.

1 Like

Thanks for making this mod. It looks like it was as simple as changing all the capability.musicPlayer items to capability.audioNotification ā€” is that about right? Iā€™m asking because if true that means adding support for this in my own app is as simple as supporting this new capability.audioNotification capability since everything else will stay the same. Also, given how elegant this change is I donā€™t understand why the original author hasnā€™t embraced this and officially supported it. Maybe heā€™s just no longer active.

1 Like

I believe, he is no longer active. And if you read the license, it says ā€œas it isā€ :wink:
Yes, the change involves the replacement to audioNotification and another one in the playTrack, as I can remember. The playTrack doesnā€™t require anymore the length of the track.
You will see what I mean if you look at the old documentation page, where audioNotification is listed as proposed capacity. Smartthings hasnā€™t updated the new dev workspace documentation with any/most of the capabilities what are used by the new Sonos DH. (And there is no clear differentiation what playTrack, resumeTrack and the third one does, as it seems all plays on the currently playing music if you listen any. It is a notificationā€¦)
Let me know if you need any help.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I am working on enabling this capability in HousePanel. So far it is going well - very straightforward although I noticed that Sonos devices return a wealth of attributes and commands including group data and track info so it is really weird that the ST app doesnā€™t render any of that very useful info. It will get rendered on HousePanel because I am working on the default layout and CSS styling as we speak. Might get around to doing the same for echo devices. We will see.

1 Like

The new ST app does have a use some of it (track info, but I think the old one displays that too). Especially the preset list is only available in the new app. Works great. You can even add in the Sonos app a LAN source and use music from there in the Sonos favorites. It shows up in the preset list and the Sonos can start to play it even the if the phone (control) is not on the same network. So basically the ST app gives remote control over the Sonos, when the Sonos app offers only LAN control.
Some of the album art is linked locally what is on the Sonosā€™ internal memory. You need to consider how you display LAN stored data vs cloud stored data, if you want to display it outside of the LAN.

Thanksā€¦ good info. I decided to skip adding the preset field for now. I included the group volume and group mute functions since that seemed useful. HP does not really work outside the home since it is designed to be a local panel to hang on the wall in your home - and thus runs best on a locally hosted Raspberry Pi. Since Sonos has the same philosophy of not working outside the home, I didnā€™t think I needed to fuss with that. I just grab the album art and display it. Here is my current draftā€¦ the green one is the new Sonos app while the purple one is the old musicPlayer thing which Hubitat still uses so I was able to do a side by side comparison.

I will post the update over in the HP thread soon. Thanks again for all your help.

[EDIT:] The one thing I canā€™t figure out is how to trigger a song change to make my hub pusher work. I subscribed to the field ā€œaudioTrackDataā€ but it doesnā€™t seem to do anything. The volume, mute, and playbackStatus subscriptions work fine.

1 Like

By the way, the Alexa DH enables this capability but it provide similar fields as with music player so this new logic I put in for Sonos doesnā€™t work for Echo devices. It is best to keep using the old MusicPlayer capability for those devices for now.

Suddenly the attribute of trackDescription and audioTrackData are not real attributes as we know from Groovy. They are variables rather than attributes and they do not initiate an event change in the IDE. Just have a look and you will see how has it changed. You need to poll it to get the change or highlight to ST how it should be working, but the documentation of the capability and attribute is still missing many things. Probably it works differently with the new AWS SmartApps.