SmartThings Community

[Release] BigTalker 2.x

smartapp_alerts
smartapp
smartapp_voice
tts
voice
(Brian S. Lowrance) #244

It appears that SmartThings did provide some alternate weather data when the WeatherUnderground API was deprecated 1/1/19. Those being

getTwcConditions()
getTwcForecast()
getTwcLocation()
getTwcAlerts()
getTwcAlertDetail()

That said, it will require a bit of work to support those in BigTalker2. The functions and returned data is not the same as the code currently expects. The future of Groovy code for SmartThings is concerning as well so I’m not sure it’s worth the effort to rework it to use the new API’s. They also post this note on each of these API calls which concerns me that these may not remain available as well: “If you are considering the development of an application that makes extensive use of weather data, you should consider gaining direct access to APIs from a weather data provider.

More info on the weather issue: Weather API Changes

This is a change in the platform API that BigTalker (and many other apps) used to obtain the data needed for weather reports. Technically, SmartThings could write the same functions that were used with the Weather Underground integration and translate as needed to get the data to/from the new “The Weather Company” API and perhaps not break app code, but I doubt they will do that.

1 Like
(Matt) #245

Thanks for the info - yea sounds like I’m just going to remove it. Hopefully a new contender will emerge in the new world.

Ok I’m going crazy here. I literally have everything installed and working.
I can control VLC through the smartthings app with (VLC Things) with the installed code given.
I installed both codes for bigtalker and big talker child in the smart things site. Both state they are working properly.

I can’t seem for the life of me to figure out how to use everything now. Where do I get the bigtalker app? Theres a video on youtube that shows the steps as well and it informs me to go to the marketplace on the smartthings app, which I can’t seem to find?

Realistically at this point I can get essentially only get one event to happen as all I can make my automation do is play or pause vlc for a single file from the smartthings app on my phone.

Not sure what I’m missing and/or where I’m going wrong! Help please and thank you!

(Brian S. Lowrance) #247

You are probably using the new SmartThings App. Go to your app store and look for the SmartThings Classic app. From what I have read it appears that custom apps can only be installed and configured from withing the classic app.

Yup you’re right. That’s a bummer. I can find it now however now I just keep getting an error, “something’s wrong - we cant load your screen right now.”

Also, is there a location everyone is getting the sounds for their automation tasks? Any idea where to get a dog barking sound?

(Brian S. Lowrance) #249

I host a few for your use. See this post
http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=BigTalker#Hosted_MP3_Sounds

1 Like
(Brian S. Lowrance) #250

BigTalker 2.0.8.5 released. I’ve not tested on SmartThings but have completed minimal operational testing on Hubitat. Save your current parent and child code in case it bombs on SmartThings and you need to revert.

This version brings native weather reports along other things. See the announcement below.

If you try this version on SmartThings (Classic), please let me know your experience (works, doesn’t work along with details). I would like to keep the codebase the same for both systems if possible.

(Devesh Batra) #251

i’ve been having a ton of issues with the App on ST along with my Sonos devices where it would cut part of the announcement

Installed the hubitat app in ST, and now get a big X through the app icon and none of my announcements work nor can i check the settings for the app on my phone

Reverting back

(Brian S. Lowrance) #252

The X through the BigTalker icon was due to Hubitat (HE) not using this icon. I changed it to not use an icon that was versioned for HE.
I’ve now updated the icons that are in the HE code to no longer show that X if you attempt the Hubitat version in SmartThings.

I’ve found quite a few bugs in 2.x one huge one recently that was introduced with 2.0.0 where BT didn’t subscribe to devices in your event group upon event group install. It only subscribed after install if you went back and edited something for event types within the newly installed group. This would have given the perception that BigTalker2 didn’t work initially (until you played around with it, editing your event groups).

If you wish to try that newest Dev version in ST, it’s located here (Parent: 2.0.8.5.8, Child: 2.0.8.5.5): https://github.com/rayzurbock/BigTalker2/tree/Hubitat-Dev/smartapps/rayzurbock
(Parent installs as BigTalker-Parent-DEV and the child installs as BigTalker-Child-DEV).

I have no clue if the HE focused version works in ST or not so try if you wish. If it works, great, please let me know!

Is there a way to set big talker to announce presence after 2 events ?

Sorry if this has been asked, SmartThings community doesn’t make it easy to get into something later.

I’d like to do a welcome home announcement when a door opens, only after presence has been recently detected.

(Brian S. Lowrance) #254

It does not chain events together as a rule before announcing. It speaks when an event occurs and doesn’t take into account other events before doing so.

(Devesh Batra) #255

i installed the latest dev release [2.0.8.6.0 Parent BETA] from your GitHub today and the app refuses to load on my mobile device. Get the following logs in IDE

b2733962-de53-4f67-b6b7-0f2c965afa38 4:49:23 PM: error java.lang.RuntimeException: Metadata Error: Cannot nest section ‘null’ inside existing section ‘About’ @line 2227 (displayVersionStatus)

b2733962-de53-4f67-b6b7-0f2c965afa38 4:49:23 PM: info You are using the current version of this app

(Brian S. Lowrance) #256

I’ll try to make some time to dig into it this weekend. Thanks for testing it out.

2 Likes