[OBSOLETE] BigTalker 2.x

I’m not sure how Echo Speaks exposes your Echo’s in SmartThings, but musicPlayer mode is the only mode/device type that supports volume changes. speechSynthesis devices do not support volume changes.

I do not know the answer to this. Perhaps if LANnouncer has a debug logging option, turn that on (as well as BigTalker’s), then log into the IDE and monitor while causing a hub and/or LANnouncer device power outage then subsequent speech request.

I am sorry I do not. The issue could be anywhere from SmartThing’s servers through the internet, through your ISP, through your router, through your network (wired/wireless) and finally to the LANNouncer device/app itself.

Bigtalker 2 is a must with any smart home automation and alarm system. A great app thank you. I’ve been using a trigger to use spoken word at a certain time In. The morning %weathercurrent% , no longer works for some reason, I used to have it working fine for almost a year…I have tried with my postal code in brackets … Nothing works anymore…other phrase tokens work perfect…%day%…%date%…etc…did anything change in the code…weather underground ?

I asked in the big talker 2.0 post if Brian was porting over the app to the new smartthings app & the answer is no. Look up the post. Hes moved on to another HA platform…hubutat would be my guess. He said the code is open for anyone to mess with. Unless someone picks it up…this will be no more. I asked on the echo speaks posting if its gonna be available on the new app but I’m wondering if th hats gonna go the route big talker went? Time will tell.

I think I read somewhere that SmartThings has discontinued their Weather API. I’m not sure what kind of work around there is.

My understanding is that Weather Underground has pulled their (free?) API support so none of the SmartThings built in functions work for obtaining weather data.

Ok so bigtalker 2 uses the API from weather underground…through smarthings?

I did eventually figure it out. I wanted to thank you for continuing to respond to this thread, it’s fairly uncommon and I appreciate it!

@rayzurbock GM. I have installed ur amazing app and enjoying it for over an year now. Kudos for such a great app that u have give to the community.

I have a doubt to clarify. I have installed it in music player mode and it seems u only slow one instance of the app. What if I want to use ur app in speech synthesis mode song with music player mode? Cos I want to use my google homes that are published with cast-web-api for siren or strobe or chirp sounds.is there any way I can do that?

Looks like cast-web-api doesn’t expose the GH as an alarm capable device. Any solutions here? Pls advise.

Thank you

Edit the code for the parent app. Delete line 7 or change it to
singleInstance: false,

Then you can install another instance and choose “speechSynthesis” mode.

Thank you. Thought of that but just wanted ur inputs on it. It wont conflict with the existing one right?

Nope. It will be a separate install with it’s own variables/settings apart from your original install.

Great. Thank you.

Hi @rayzurbock I do see that there is no option to save each instance with a different name. Could you help direct me on how to get this done?

Right now I should save each instance as BigTalker2 ??

You can have 2 SmartApps named the same thing, it’s just confusing as to which one to select for configuration and also when looking at logs.

The only thing I can offer is to install the code a second time, but before saving, change:

Parent App, Line 2: name: “BigTalker2”, to name: “BigTalker2-SS”, (SS for speech synthesis, use what you want such as -MP for musicPlayer mode).
Parent App, Line 23 and 24 (name must match Line 2):
state.childAppName = “BigTalker2-SS-Child”
state.parentAppName = “BigTalker2-SS”
Save the new parent app code

Child App, Line 2: name: “BigTalker2-Child”, to name: “BigTalker2-SS-Child”,
Child App, Line 7: parent: “rayzurbock:BigTalker2”, to parent: “rayzurbock:BigTalker2-SS”,
Save the new child app code

Once the new code is saved (you now have 2 BigTalker2 parent app code sets and 2 BigTalker2 child app code sets), go through the SmartApp install process for the newly named code.

Thank you @rayzurbock

So is the weather portion just not going to work anymore? It’s the only reason I use big talker and now my sonos announces there was an error processing my request every day.

@fquick I’m just curious, do your sonos speakers work in the new app & does it work with the notifications built into the new app automations. I use echo speaks but it does not work in the new app with the notifications.

Haven’t moved over to the new app - I haven’t been prompted yet and I’m waiting for the last possible moment.

I dont blame you.