[OBSOLETE] BI Fusion v3.0 - Adds: Blue Iris Device Type Handler, Blue Iris Camera DTH, Motion Sensing

Blue Iris Users, this is what we’ve wanted! BI Fusion now includes:

• Simplified setup – Only enter your password, IP, etc. ONCE! OAuth tokens only change when you want them too, and they can be found in multiple places to enable copy & paste!
  • All the smartapp functions in one smartapp: SmartThings events trigger Blue Iris recording, SmartThings modes control Blue Iris profiles, PTZ to presets (and back) based on SmartThings events.
  • Blue Iris Server Device – You can manually control Blue Iris mode’s and traffic light from SmartThings, monitor online/offline status, get alerts.
  • Local LAN connection status updates and error notifications – no more need to use port forwarding, etc. But still works with external connections as before.
  • Blue Iris Camera Devices – Act like switches so other automations can manually trigger recording, and like motion sensors so other automations (like SHM or Super Notifier) can react and alert you to motion sensed by your BI cameras. Plus you can manually trigger recording from the device’s page in the app.
  • Works with webCoRE so you can create your own automations

Blue Iris Server Device Type:

Blue Iris Camera Device Type:

• No Limited live stream capability - limited by SmartThings’ live stream capabilities. No image capture due to the way BI Fusion builds all the capabilities into one set of smartapps and DTHs. I strongly encourage you to use the Blue Iris Mobile apps for video and image viewing. It has all the capabilities now and works better than non-SmartThings-branded video will ever work within SmartThings.

Plus BI Fusion still does (and now does better):

• Profile Integration – Sync’s ST Modes with BI’s Profiles so they match
  • BI Triggers – Triggers BI camera’s to record based on motion/contact sensors/etc. This can now be done from other smartapps as well through the Blue Iris Camera DTH.
  • WAN/External connection control if you need it.

How to Install:

1. In the SmartThings API, Create a new Smartapp. Either from code and copy the code from the links below, or add my Github repository to your Github Integration settings:
    Owner: flyjmz
    Name: jmzSmartThings
    Branch: master

2. Follow the rest of the install instructions in the README on Github. Feel free to post questions here though, it’s just easier to manage instructions on github itself.

This is a major update, hence the new thread. v3.0 will install non-destructively over your existing BI Fusion smartapp with 2 caveats:

1. The notifications for BI Triggers changes, so please review your settings
  2. If you installed the Blue Iris Server DTH v1.0, you’ll need to manually uninstall it before installing this version of BI Fusion. I tried to prevent this, and you may get away with not needing to, but you could end up with 2 Server Devices fighting each other if not. Don’t worry though, BI Fusion will install a new one and you won’t have to repeat your settings if you had a previous BI Fusion install.

If you’re unfamiliar with Blue Iris (BI):
Blue Iris is an outstanding Video Security/Capture NVR (Network Video Recorder) program that works with virtually every IP camera out there, creating a web server that manages them all and monitors them for motion, triggering recording. http://blueirissoftware.com/ Big shout out to Ken, the program is great and his support is outstanding.

Updates for the future:

• Motion alerts via LAN instead of using OAuth – This will make the setup simpler and you won’t have to worry about expired tokens. Next on my list.

Clarification of the Camera DTH’s Intent & Purpose:

• The Camera Device can be selected as a switch to turn ‘on’ from other smartapps, this triggers the Blue Iris Camera to start recording for the preset length you setup in Blue Iris.
  • The Camera Device can also be selected as a Motion Sensor, which becomes active/inactive based on the Blue Iris motion sensing settings you set up in Blue Iris.
  • You don’t want to have your Camera Device’s motion sensing trigger the Camera Device’s switch to enable recording, because you’ll create an endless loop of recording… Treat the two function separately.
    • Example: Front door contact opening triggers the Porch Camera Device’s switch ‘on’ to ensure the event is recorded. Separately, you can have SHM monitor the Porch Camera DTH’s motion and alert you when it is active.

FAQ:

What settings are important in Blue Iris?
Go to Blue Iris Options, the Web server tab, click Advanced, and make sure “Use Secure Session Keys and Login Page” is unchecked. This enables the login to work, but also uses a less secure method of login. If you are using it LAN only and do not port-forward or otherwise expose your Blue Iris server to the Internet, then there is no need to worry. If you do have it set up for external logins (i.e. to log into the BI server when you’re away), then please make sure you have secured that connection in another way. I recommend two different options:

1. VPN. You can set up a VPN server on your computer, a network device like a Synology server, or on your router using DD-WRT firmware (which is a relatively simple and doesn’t cost anything if you have a good router already). The VPN will take care of all the security, it’s as if you don’t expose it to the internet but you can still reach the server! I have a not-yet-ready-for-publishing How-To, PM me if you want to know more.
  2. HTTPS. Blue Iris has stunnel integration. It’s not to difficult to set this up either. You port forward the BI server but secure the connection so your login and viewing are all encrypted. I have an extensive how-to in the initial post in the old BI Fusion Thread. You can also PM me. I also made this guide for setting it up.

What is the difference between WAN and LAN?
LAN = Local area network, WAN = Wide area network. For BI Fusion setup, LAN specifically means all traffic will stay on your home network, nothing out to the cloud (the SmartThings hub sends commands directly to the computer running Blue Iris). The WAN setup differs by having the SmartThings cloud send the commands to your Blue Iris computer.

With BI Fusion v3.0+, using the Blue Iris Server DTH is the best option, but if you don’t want to use it, there is a functional difference between the Local and External options in setup. The WAN option provides feedback if Blue Iris didn’t actually receive the command (no way to make this happen within this app alone when using LAN), and the WAN setup requires opening a port so the cloud can reach your Blue Iris computer. Again, the Blue Iris Server DTH does not have any limits to functionality, and it provides more.

I can think of few situations that WAN would be a better fit, primarily if you have your SmartThings hub on a different network than your Blue Iris computer. I would imagine most people would use LAN.

Updates are made regularly and uploaded to Github!

Current Version Changes:

• Custom Polling improved
  • Added ability for triggers to move PTZ cameras to a preset, and then move them back (if desired)

History:

• Added triggers for door knocking and mode changes
  • Added ability to set your own icon for the Server and Camera Devices
  • Expanded error checking to lock status (hold/temporary profile change mode)
  • Improved settings and operation when not using profile<>mode integration.
  • Added ability to display motion URLs in API Live Logging so you can copy & paste into Blue Iris
  • BI Fusion updated to allow user to change Camera Device Names after installation.
  • Added triggers for: acceleration, presence, shock, smoke, carbonMonoxide, and water sensors.
  • Added ability to send preset commands to cameras when triggering.
  • Enabled full Camera Device DTH support even when not using Server DTH (works for both local and external connections).

(Thank You! Only if you want to, no guarantees this will work perfectly, but brew money helps keep me going!)

28 Likes

oh boy! will have to get this setup this weekend. looks really good. i’ve gotten sick of having to update my WAN IP in whichever current version I have,

1 Like

BRUTAL! I could recommend some tips on setting up no-ip, but you’re better off using the new features. Much easier!

I’m very interested to see how the motion sensing works out for folks. I could only do limited testing on that aspect, and it worked great once I fixes some initial errors, but I look forward to feedback from the larger audience. Definitely let me know if there are any issues so I can get them fixed quickly.

Does this work with SHM like say an Arlo camera would?

Hi @JMZ. Great Work!!!
So far I’ve replaced my old Blue Iris smartapp with BI Fusion SA and Blue Iris Server and the sync is working great.
Today I’ll create one Camera to test motion from BI to ST and run some tests. I’ll let you know how happy I am :wink:

I have set up and am able to trigger blue iris profile changes from within smartthing… i am having a couple problems with motion detection…
the test button in blue iris changed motion to active in smartthings and it has been stuck on active for about an hour… i double check and i did change the string to inactive…
Also i am not able to set more than 1 camera

Same here. Can only setup 1 camera. Motion detection seems to work well.

This is an awesome project. Exactly what I’ve been looking for. I’m running into the same issue when I try to install more than one camera.

Shoot, I’ll check on the one camera issue.

1 Like

The test button in Blue Iris only sends the first http command. So it worked and changed your motion to active, but now you need your camera to sense motion on it’s own, send the active command, once that motion stops, it’ll send the inactive command and your sensor in SmartThings will reflect those changes. So make sure it’s in a trigger mode in BI and walk in front of it I guess!

Thanks for the help… It was a simple mistake in setup on the blue iris side… I forgot to change to reset command to to https://… works great now…

1 Like

Fixed! Sorry about that. I introduced a bug after I had the camera install working and got bogged down getting the motion stuff to work.

v3.0.1 uploaded to Github. Changes:

• Fixed bug preventing install/operation when not using the Server DTH.
  • Fixed bug that would only only allow one camera device to install.
  • Enabled full Camera Device DTH support even when not using Server DTH (works for both local and external connections).
  • Changed Software Update input (defaults to enabling update notifications, so if you want that no need to change anything).

Please keep posting feedback. I no longer have an external connection setup so I can’t test that very well, and will the changes I had to make to allow the Camera DTH to work, there’s a strong chance there is a bug in there that I can’t test for.

I’m also interested to see how a BI Fusion - Trigger will handle triggering a bunch of cameras at once (if you’re using the DTH you can select multiple, if not, you’re still limiting to typing in only one name per trigger). I tried to streamline the code to trigger a bunch of cameras at a time, but I’d like to hear if it actually does or if it just dies.

After update I was able to add 6 cameras… all working properly…
I will try out the tomorrow and report back…
Thanks for the great work

1 Like

Its working great for motion detection. I haven’t been able to get it to switch profiles for me though, re-checking my settings to see what is up with that. I was using OATH per camera for motion (using the camera as a smartthings motion device) in the past, kinda nice to have them use the same OATH code with your app/handler. Another thing I use is the ability to have a motion detection (smartthings) to send a command to a PTZ camera to go to a certain preset, would love if your app did that, too… then I could do away with all other BI apps that I have. Much thanks JMZ, wish I could buy ya some brew! For reference, I currently do the PTZ as shown at the end of Blue Iris camera trigger from smart things . If I recall correctly, you and I have talked about this a few times.

*edit
I also noticed, changing the Display Name of a camera in Blue Iris Camera Installation does nothing later on, it keeps the original name. Not a big deal, just wanted to make sure you knew. For instance, I went back to all of my cameras and inserted "BI " in front of all the names so I could organize them better in Smartthings, they remained the original name.

1 Like

That shouldn’t be a cosmic addition, I can take a look.

I should’ve mentioned this, I knew it was a problem. The issue is the Display Name is set when the device is created. It doesn’t reinstall the devices unless the short name is changed (only because that is a part of the device network ID, so in that case it’s actually deleting the old and creating a new). If it did, you’d have to remove the camera device from any smartapp, including the trigger apps, before reinstalling. A warning would be useful.

I know you could technically change the display name from within each device’s settings (I have warnings against changing anything there because it could de-link it from the rest of BI Fusion since it wouldn’t know the new name), but now that I think about it I could probably run through the code to make sure it doesn’t actually refer to the original display name in setup, and does a real-time check for the current one.

The Server device is different (well the name can’t change) in that all the profiles names and things are passed after the device is created, so they can be updated all you want without issue.

It should. The cameras can be motion sensors for SHM to monitor.

Thanks for putting together the great app!

Can I request that you add acceleration as a trigger capability?

I have a multisense mounted on my door bell that triggers push alerts and tablet integration. If I can add acceleration as a trigger it would be super helpful for some of my other integrations.

Cheers

Works beautifully now. Added three more cameras with no issues. Thank you much!

1 Like
  • BI Fusion v3.0.2, BI Fusion - Trigger v3.0.2, Blue Iris Sever DTH v2.1, Blue Iris Camera DTH v1.1:
    • BI Fusion updated to allow user to change Camera Device Names after installation, removed warnings in this DTH. (Must change in devices’ settings page, the change in BI Fusion preferences is irrelevant unless the shortname changes as well).
    • Beta - Added Video Live Stream - need user base help. It should work, but I can’t get it to. Make sure you don’t use any special characters in username/password/camera shortName. Let me know what you find.
    • Added triggers for: acceleration, presence, shock, smoke, carbon monoxide, and water sensors.
    • Added ability to send preset commands to cameras when triggering. **NOTE: Check each Trigger app instance to confirm settings & tap ‘done’ to ensure settings take.

Done!

Correct, but now you can change it in each device’s settings page. Just know that the BI Fusion preference for display name won’t update (not a problem though).

Done! Thanks to your help beta testing!!

For video: I don’t know if it’s me not being at home (I’m on a VPN) or what the issue is, but it doesn’t work for me. Everything is as others have reported it to work. So check it out (it works local only) and let me know if it does/doesn’t, and let me know if you use a different app that does work so I can find my problem. If it doesn’t work, it won’t affect the normal functionality.

3 Likes