[OBSOLETE] BI Fusion v3.0 - Adds: Blue Iris Device Type Handler, Blue Iris Camera DTH, Motion Sensing

This is pretty neat!

Is there a way to have BI Fusion update the Blue Iris Presets? I have schedules that change profiles based on time of day, with a preset for Home and preset for Away. It’d be swell to have ST going “away” change to the “away” preset in BI, as I’ve found BI’s geofencing to be spotty on Android.

Yup, that’s exactly what the “Blue Iris Profile <=>SmartThings Mode Integration” part of the settings is for! (Blue Iris calls them ‘Profiles’ :wink: )

The BI Fusion app will list your SmartThings modes when you go to that part of the settings, and you just need to enter the number of the corresponding Blue Iris Profile number.

…right, and I get that, but that’s not what I’m asking for. Example: Profile 1 is Weekday (alerts), 2 is Weekday (no alerts). Currently, BI geofences manage which BI Preset is active, which determines which schedule is active, which picks the profile. My schedules shift profiles throughout the day, but it’s different depending on preset (home v. away):

I’m looking to short-circuit the BI geofence (not great) by having a way to call the “Away” preset (and therefore schedule) when SmartThings moves to my away mode (very reliable!), but keep the BI scheduler/alerts functionality.

Ok, gotcha. I don’t use the presets or schedule at all because it is all tied to my ST modes. I think you can probably do the same thing unless your presets and profiles are more complicated than you indicate.

Your profile 1 sounds like a normal ‘away’ mode that records on motion, and your profile 2 would be a normal ‘home’ mode that doesn’t record. For those, there wouldn’t be any need to have a schedule in Blue Iris because your geofence (through ST) would use your coming and going to switch between them.

I see your differences in screenshots that the weekends are much different, so if what I’m saying doesn’t help at all please elaborate.

My point is just that if you are using geofences to change settings based on when you’re home or not, you shouldn’t need to also use schedules (because the geofence will be correct). If you use schedules to account for daylight/nighttime changes, you could probably just create a different mode in ST to switch with (I have a Night mode but it’s more for an ‘arm/stay’ type mode than for anything different in Blue Iris). My Blue Iris Schedule is simply the “away” profile for all time and all presets; and I just use this app in SmartThings to change it from Away to other modes based on my geofence.

Hey, just some follow up on this… I found the issue. It was the password I was using. Not that I had the wrong password… for some reason, this SmartApp doesn’t like the exclamation point I had in my password… not sure if other symbols would cause issues…

Yep, that makes sense. I thought I had a note in the settings that said not to use special characters in your username, password, or camera short names, but I apparently only thought about it, I never added it. Those three things are passed in http commands, and some special characters have other meanings, so using them may cause problems in the communication between your ST hub and BI server.

I’ll have a new version posted soon that cleans up some of the directions and takes care of all the posted issues.

Is it possible to delete only one camera and then re-add it without changing the web address used in BI for motion status? I have one that will change to motion and then never reset to no motion.

Yes, the cameras and the web address for motion are completely separate,
but also because of that, deleting the camera and reinstalling it shouldn’t
have any effect on anything. To delete it, id delete it from that camera’s
device settings. You’ll first have to remove it from any smart apps
connected to it (if BI fusion is listed, ignore it, just remove it from any
others, to include BI Fusion trigger apps. Then when you go back into BI
fusion it’ll just rebuild that device.

But, I doubt that’ll solve the problem. I’m sure you already checked your
settings, but maybe recopy the URL from the trigger URL, just changing the
active to inactive (because we know the active URL works) also make sure
the right shirt name is used, I noticed after inset mine up in had the same
problem, but I had gotten ahead of myself and had the wrong camera
shortname).finally, make sure the check box is set for waiting for how long
until it resets back to no motion. If all that is right and the Motion
active is triggering correctly, then maybe a delete and reinstall like you
say will work. If not, we can start PM’ing and pass log screenshots with
debit on so we have a chance of running this down.

uninstalled everything, re-installed and getting the same problem. I am getting Smart App not found errors. Streaming works on all cameras, but it does throw the Not Found error. Porch triggers active, but never inactive.

Are those log screenshots from the camera device instance in the logs? I’m not sure what it happening for you. My first guess is maybe the trigger app isn’t loaded into your API. But then you wouldn’t be able to set up triggers. The log pictures are just the error you get when you view the video, right? If the video is working but you’re getting this error, I hate to say it, but probably ignore the error. There isn’t any documentation to really troubleshoot the video stuff, but it’s working…

For the motion going active but not inactive, the pertinent logs are actually the BI Fusion logs, because the motion is collected there, then sent to each camera’s DTH to activate/inactive motion. Check those logs for an error, but if the active is going, and the issue is just the inactive, then it means there is something wrong in either the address you entered in Blue Iris (delete the http part, change to ‘inactive’ instead of ‘active’, make sure the shortname is right, etc), and your BI settings are correct (checking the box to “request again when trigger is reset”), the “wait at least” timer is something reasonable like .5 min, etc. Also, these alerts are totally dependent on your BI profile settings. If the motion trigger and then the profile switches to home but that camera’s motion isn’t set to send alerts in the home profile, the “request again” part may not fire.

I know I’m blaming your setup here, and I’m trying not to, but if it’s half working for one camera, and whole working for others, it’s gotta be in the settings.

those were the camera logs. I’ll check out the Fusion logs. And its ok to blame my setup! It very well could be. The only thing different about my Porch camera is that I use one motion zone so that it doesn’t record our flag. My other two cameras don’t use zones. I’ll keep working with it.

I’m having issue with motion triggering as well. I do get that same Not Found error and always have. When i put in the URL in to Blue Iris and test, it shows in the logs and app that motion is active, but when I trigger the camera or there is motion nothing is sent anywhere. I recreated the URLs because i had an issue with one camera stuck on motion that wouldn’t clear. Oddly enough live logging isn’t showing anything from Fusion.

UPDATE: I disabled and enable logging and now I can see the camera URLs, but again 1 camera is stuck sending motion and the others don’t report. They only report when i test the request.

It has to be a install problem with my one location. I installed Fusion at my other location and connected the camera to the same Blue Iris server and there are no issues with motion. It is triggered accurately and disarmed correctly.

All the settings in BI are a pita to get lined up first try, especially if you don’t want recording in the Profile but do want motion alerts. So make sure your trigger is setup for that profile and alerts are also turned on.

You have two hubs both connecting to the same BI Server though BI Fusion?

If it is triggering motion in smartthings when you click on the BI alert test, then your setup from BI to ST is all good. Then it means that there is something in your BI settings like @Automated_House mentioned. You have to make sure you have the alert setup correctly for each BI Profile. Which yes, is a complete PITA, but that’s how Blue Iris is built to give you complete flexibility. So you could very well have it correct in one profile, not in the other, so it could trigger motion just as you arrive home, just before ST switches from away to home, and if the alert isn’t set up correctly in the home profile, then the inactive will never make it.

Fortunately it’s just a lot of copy and paste, but it can be A LOT. In looking around to see what else you might need to check, I found I actually missed a couple camera/profile combos in my own setup (still had the old IFTTT motion trigger I was using)…

Howdy peeps. So I’ve spent a bit of time and a bit of work and I’m getting there. My profiles change perfectly. None of my cameras display video; however, outside of my network.

So when I finally got all the settings right yesterday, it worked and I thought I was good. I forgot to turn off WiFi though to test. Got to work today and I’m in the dark.

I had previously run BI externally to view everything. I killed port forwarding and unchecked the always use checkbox as instructed. Are there any obvious/most likely errors I might have made that would cause my cameras to work LAN but not WAN?

Thanks! A little direction is good, otherwise I just poke blindly at settings that sound kinda right :wink:

Here’s what I get when I try to start one. There are 4 different types of cameras, so lots of variety here to know it’s not one particular camera type causing the issue. Safe to assume PEBCAK error

Glad everything else is working for you, but as it says in the initial thread, viewing live video only works on your local LAN. There is a way to make it work externally, but it isn’t coded that way because there are some security hurdles to clear in the process and I want to make sure it is secure before publishing anything. No ETA on when that may be, I’d recommend the Blue Iris app if you want to view cameras live externally (and locally as well). It loads much faster than smartthings ever will. Plus it gives you all the other controls that don’t exist in BI Fusion yet.

I have a question regarding motion triggers. I tried my best to figure this out, but no luck. I set up my BI Fusion and everything looks good, but I’m unable to get BI server to send alert to Smartthings.

I looked through the previous posting and have done the following:

• Added 3 camera and verified I can see the video feed so that login credentials are good
  • Reinstalled server again in case I missed something
  • I can change profiles
  • From the logs the main problem is the URL to send to Smartthings does not look correct. The URL access token is null. I have verified I have Oauth enabled on only the “Blue Iris Fusion” SmartApp, Do I need to enable oauth on something else? Hopefully I just missed something that you guys can catch.

Here is what is hows in the log:
garage Active URL:
graph.api.smartthings.com:443/api/smartapps/installations/…/active/garage?access_token=null

any ideas?

It looks like the access token was never created. Which thinking about it now, for initial installs like yours, you’d need to go into BI Fusion settings > Camera Installation and then scroll to the bottom and turn on “Do you want to (re)Create the URLs?” to first create the access token. Once you turn it on, you’ll also need to tap to view them, because opening that page in settings actually triggers the token creation.

I added that switch to help folks not have to deal with changing URLs all the time, but after seeing your issue I took it too far. It should at least create them once before adding that layer of security.

If that’s not the case, and you did do that, let me know. I really appreciate the details you included with your issue, it narrows it way down!

Jeez, I told you the error was on my end! :wink: Sorry, totally read and misinterpreted.

OK, well then I have the modes and the triggers all working as expected! One more quick question. Can I run the BI fusion for the modes and motion, and also have the BI app connect? Just seeing if that is possible before I get to trying to figure out the settings.

Thank you!

Yes that did the trick! Thanks for the support. Yeah that question did stump me a little, but it make sense to me now that you explained it. Great App JMZ!