SmartThings Community

[RELEASE] BI Fusion v3.0 - Adds: Blue Iris Device Type Handler, Blue Iris Camera DTH, Motion Sensing

smartapp_cameras
dth_security
smartapp_security
dth_cameras
project_cameras

I love what you did!

I set everything up and it all seems to work as expected with one issue. My cameras get stuck thinking there is motion within SmartThings. At one point I had one camera working properly but now they are all getting stuck. Any thoughts?

(Alcopop2006) #352

Hi, I am just about to set this up. I’ve got a Reolink camera added to Blue Iris, which was fairly easy to set up. What I am struggling with is adding a Yale WIPC-301w camera into Blue Iris. What I ultimately want to do is use the motion detection to trigger lights within SmartThings, I’ve tried other methods before but was hoping this method would work. The Yale camera is not in the Blue Iris list but I’ve read elsewhere that you can usually import most IP Cameras if you have the correct credentials? I’ve previously been able to add the Yale camera into other 3rd party apps but it has always been tricky.

(Chris Schoepp) #353

Anyone have suggestions on the best way to allow an exit delay? I want the modes to sync with smartthings but I use blue iris for alerts so I can still see video clips. Currently when I leave the house, I change the mode to away, which immediately arms the cameras. then as I drive away I get an alert. Whats’ the best way to work around this? Any suggestions?

Why not use GeoFencing to trigger the arming/disarming that way your already a little ways away by the time it arms so you don’t have that issue.

(Chris Schoepp) #355

Geofencing isn’t very reliable from everything I’ve read… I’d rather not use it.

@Dan_Leising That’s a cool idea, I’d like to hear how it works out. There are a couple of different stream URL options, but here is one:
http://username:password@ipaddress:port/mjpg/cameraShortName
Check out this post if that doesn’t work, there are a lot of variations: https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/blue-iris-urls-for-external-streams.24994/

@sitruk It sounds like one of your alert URLs has a typo. With all the URLs and having to change “active” to “inactive” it’s easy to make a mistake, I sure did. Double check your URLs to make sure you have the right camera device name and that it says inactive. If that doesn’t work, lemme know.

@alcopop2006 Do you have the Yale camera added to Blue Iris? Camera model doesn’t affect BI Fusion, all it receives is information from Blue Iris, not directly from any camera.
Your plan should work out fine once your camera is set up within Blue Iris. The Blue Iris support is great, talk to them if you’re having issues with Blue Iris setup.

@Chris_Schoepp I’m not aware of anything that actually delays the mode changes during an exit delay. The old Smart Alarm app and the new SHM Delay Version 2.0 app have an exit delay and work well, but don’t affect the mode changes. They just wait for the mode to change from home to away (for example), then wait your exit delay time period before any of your configured contact or motion sensors become active. But for your purposes in BI Fusion, you need the actual SmartThings mode change to wait as well.

The easiest solution is to use geofencing in SmartThings like @Terk suggested. I assume you have to use a keypad or your phone to manually change modes now? Geofencing makes it all automatic (so you don’t have to remember) and would have a built-in delay.
While there have been problems in the past, it’s been extremely reliable for a long time now (I think we’re at a couple of years now). There are other geofencing solutions for SmartThings other than their native support too. I used webcore’s presence app while SmartThings was fixing theirs, and it was great (I’ve since switched back only to simplify things).

If that is out of the question, I think the only other solution is using webcore. It’s free and extremely powerful, and you should be able to set up a few pistons that monitor all your security sensors, wait your exit delay period, and then change the SmartThings mode.

Hope that helps!

Yeah, I went through and reconfigured them. They seem to register motion correctly now. Thank you.

Thank you,

Kurtis Overdorf

1 Like
(Arn B) #358

I’m unfamiliar with Bi Fusion, so I don’t know if either of these two solutions for achieving a true exit delay, “actual SmartThings mode change to wait”, with SHM will do anything with this smartapp. They are:

Yup, BI Fusion needs the actual SmartThings mode change to be delayed. Your app wouldn’t work for their desired outcome, I was just pointing out that the exit/entry delay options that I’m aware of function by inserting a delay in notifications after the mode is already changed. It’s a cool app though, and I really like your thorough instructions!

1 Like
(Arn B) #360

I don’t understand. Why is it, with the system disarmed, requesting away status & mode by performing an action, waiting a user defined number of seconds while system is disarmed, then setting away status & mode, is not delayed?

Since this does not seem to work with BI Fusion, what would work?

Edit: When setting Away status & mode from the PhoneApp, SHM Delay works as you expect. System is armed and sensors are ignored.

BI Fusion is only a conduit to sync SmartThings modes with Blue Iris profiles. Blue Iris is a network video recorder software that processes camera streams for motion, and is 100% independent from SmartThings. The user is getting notifications from Blue Iris directly when a camera detects motion, apparently to view the video clip more quickly, which is wholly outside of SmartThings and unaffected by apps like SHM Delay.

When SmartThings’ mode changes the Blue Iris profile is changed simultaneously, which means that Blue Iris alert will fire, despite any delay created with an app like SMH Delay. That’s why they’d need the actual mode change to be delayed.

If the user opted instead to use motion alerts generated by SmartThings, and not directly from Blue Iris, SMH Delay would work. In that case, when the SmartThings mode changed, the Blue Iris profile would still change, and when the user drove away Blue Iris would still trigger the camera to record based on the motion, but that motion activity sent to SmartThings would fall silent because the SMH Delay app wouldn’t process it until after the exit delay. Once the delay has passed, any future motion alerts would notify as desired.

@Chris_Schoepp You said you “use blue iris for alerts so I can still see video clips.” If you turned off notifications from Blue Iris and instead used SmartThings to get them, it wouldn’t affect Blue Iris’ recording of the motion events. You’d get the notification from SmartThings but could still open the Blue Iris app to view the video clips. If that is an option, you could use SHM Delay to achieve your exit delay. I’m not sure if using the Blue Iris alert makes it faster to view the video clip or not (like if when you tap the notification it opens the video clip in the app immediately), I haven’t tried it that way before.

(Alcopop2006) #362

Hi again, managed to bring both my cameras into Blue Iris now so I’ve got that stage ticked off. I’ve installed the smart apps and device handlers in Smart Things through the api manager and on my phone. I’ve now got stuck on a few sections…

-When inputting the BI Webserver IP on my phone… I have tried inputting two different IP addresses that I have displayed on the Web Server tab on Blue Iris (one is beginning with 169 and another under the interfaces section that begins with 192.) Neither seem to work as my Blue Iris server on my phone still appears Offline.

• I’m confused by the stage that says If using the Server Device or a local/LAN connection, only enter the IP address, nothing extra… does this mean to not input a username/ password ad it doesn’t appear to allow that option?
    -I’ve made sure that I’ve unchecked the “Use Secure Session Keys and Login Page”
  • I’m not sure what to do with stage 5 in regards to using the access tokens (where to find them in ST and where to input them in Blue Iris).
  • I have attempted stage 7 but no option to tick request from a web service appears to be able to tick and configure?

Really sorry to be a pain.

I’ve been using ST for over a year now and always seem to get stuck on certain sections when installing new things but I am completely new to Blue Iris.
Many Thanks :slight_smile:

169 is usually a non-routed subnet that Microsoft assigns when it doesn’t have access to a DHCP server and may be what your using between your cameras and BI server, at least some users do that to keep the cameras off the internet. The 192 address is a normal range for a home router to assign and if you look at your phone it is likely on that same range when connected to your home WiFi. If so that address should work. You can look at the DHCP or LAN section on your router to find out which subnet is correct.

(Alcopop2006) #364

I’m pretty sure that I’ve got the right IP address added to the settings in the SmartThings app then (the 192 one…). I don’t know what else I am doing wrong though…

Just to clarify, the IP address that I input as the Blue Iris Server IP is the IP address for the computer that I’ve installed Blue Iris on? Should I be able to see the live feeds in SmartThings even before I have set up Motion Alerts in Blue Iris? I’m guessing that the option that I have: ‘Post to a Web Address or MQTTT’ server is the same as ‘Request from a Web Server’ ?

In the Blue Iris Fusion SmartApp under Blue Iris Server Settings make sure Use/Install Blue Iris Server is on (to the right) The Blue Iris Username you use should be an administrator in Blue Iris, with the corresponding password, the Blue Iris Server IP is the 192.x.x.x and Blue Iris Port is 81 by default unless you changed it. It can take a few minutes after entering that all correctly for it to start working. Then you should see the Blue Iris Server device show which profile is currently set and the status of the traffic light. You can then Install cameras, I have added mine but don’t really use them for video in SmartThings mainly I use the integration to change the profile based on the SamrtThings Modes since I haven’t forwarded any ports to my BI server so native Blue Iris GeoFencing didn’t work because my phone couldn’t talk to the server without an active VPN tunnel.

1 Like

Yup!

Maybe. We’re down to about 20% of the time this works for people. Just like @Terk does, BI Fusion is best for the integration of the two systems, it doesn’t work very well (or at all in most people’s case) for viewing video streams. The Blue Iris app is your best bet for viewing video. (Too many issues with the smartthings framework).

yup, they changed the settings and I haven’t updated my directions :open_mouth:

You have options, but the easiest way is to open the smartthings IDE logging webpage, open up BI Fusion settings on your phone, then open Camera Installation, then scroll to the bottom and turn on “Display URLs in API logs”. Once you click Done and save, the URLs will show up in your logs. You may have to also turn on the “Do you want to (re)create the tokens” on that same settings page to get them to generate the first time. If you do that, make sure you go right back into setting once you’re done and make sure it turned itself off (it should automatically). If you leave it on, every time you open settings you’ll regenerate tokens and have to reenter them in Blue Iris.

Once you do that, you can copy/paste the URLs from the IDE into the Blue Iris Alert settings for each camera. (per your question, it is the “Post to a Web Address…” option in each camera’s settings, alert tab).

You’re getting there! All the cameras, Blue Iris, and BI Fusion integration is a bigger beast than some other SmartThings additions, but once it’s running you shouldn’t have to mess with it.

(Alcopop2006) #367

Got it all sorted ,:slight_smile: Not really sure what I did to actually get it to work other than perseverance. I’m thinking of getting a Synology NAS at some point to run Blue Iris from as don’t fancy leaving my pc on all the time. Thanks for your help guys :grinning:… Just realised that one of my cameras is constantly recording through SmartThings. Can’t seem to turn it off?

1 Like

I don’t have any experience with Synology however when I was looking at one for NAS it appeared that you could only hook up a few cameras depending on the model without buying more licenses which looked like it would get cost prohibitive pretty quickly.

(Alcopop2006) #369

Yeah, I’ve done a little more research into this and it doesn’t seem as straightforward as I’d hoped:

I just don’t feel comfortable leaving my current laptop on all the time.

Has anyone on here had any luck with using a NAS with Blue Iris? Or can recommend a cheap PC or something else for this purpose? That’s also affordable to run?

(Also managed to stop my camera from constantly recording by deleting it and reinstalling)

(phil) #370

If Blue Iris would work with a PI board, running on Linux, would make this a whole lot easier and cheaper. However since BI is so CPU and hard drive intensive just not sure who it worked even if they put something together