[OBSOLETE] August Pro Smart Lock Z-Wave devicehandler with Doorsense support

SmartThings August Smart Lock Pro Z-Wave Device handler with DoorSense

I’m happy to share the first version of this device handler. Feel free to contribute!

• SEE INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS

Z-Wave device handle for August Pro Smart Lock device handler with DoorSense™.

Due to limitations (recognize contact sensor in automation and displaying information using tiles) this device handler creates a child contact sensor (based on new child contact sensor device)

Devices interfaces - New app vs Old App

Why use it?

You should use this device handler if you have a August Lock Pro and you want to use DoorSense™ in automations with no need to have an august connect acting as a bridge (see Validation scenario)

Validation scenario

This device handler was tested using Samsung Connect Home Pro (Smartthings V2 Hub) with Firmware version 000.027.00010 in a set up with +10 z-wave devices.

August Smart Lock Pro was connected to both, Smartthings via Z-wave and August Doorbell as a wifi bridge (Wi-Fi bridge is not necessary to use this device handler). No issues were detected when tests were made from different channels (Bluetooth, Wi-Fi bridge or z-wave commands). All three interfaces are able to update status properly.

August Smart Lock Pro firmware was 1.12.2-1.59.0.

Automation in new app using Lock vs Child contact device

Known issues

• Responsiveness to update child device using new app
  • Delays to execute commands using new app (1 to 3 seconds)
  • Any update to the device handler makes the DoorSense™ unresponsive during the development phase. The reason for it is unknown. When updating the device handler, delete it and create a new one to avoid this issue. This issue somehow affects new installations using github integration

Install Instructions

Follow Smartthings Git Hub Integration Guide, using user rafaelborja and repository SmartThingsAugustPro.

FIXED: Due to an unknown issue installation using GitHub is making the device handler unresponsive to events. Please create the august-lock-pro-zwave-lock-with-doorsense device handler source code by following the instructions bellow

Developer note: Please feel free to try Smartthings Git Hub Integration and validite if this issue is specific to my installation.

You can also create create a new decive handler from code copying and pasting child-contact-sensor device handler and child-contact-sensor device handler source code

FAQ

Why a child door sensor?

Due to a bug in Smartthings, only a child device can be used on standard automation app.

Contributions

Please feel free to contribute with suggestions forks, and pull requests at GitHub - rafaelborja/SmartthingsAugustPro: Z-Wave device handle for August Pro Smart Lock device handler with door sense

3 Likes

Any chance this could work with a previous generation lock with a paired Connect?

This one is made specifically to avoid the need of august connect by using Z-wave. August is going to release a new interation with smartthings in a near future using connect bridge.
I still prefer to use z-wave instead of cloud using august connect due to reliability and responsiveness.

I’ve heard this for years. Is it actually going to come true now?

I feel the same. Anyways I prefer to use a local z-wave integration and get rid of connect wifi bridge. :slight_smile:

Wish I had that option. I jumped into the August realm before Z-Wave was available and to get it again would cost more than I’m willing to pay. So I’m hoping for ST integration with their older-gen locks as well.

There should be a really good deal this black friday for august lock pro with august connect. You can still sell your old August and the new August connect

I uploaded both device handlers in my smarthings IDE. What should I do next. I already have the august lock pro connected with the hub and works OK as far as locking and unlocking. Should I edit this device and change the type from the default “Z-wave lock without codes” to yours “august lock pro zwave lock with doorsense” and then create a new thing (sensor) and change the type to “child contact sensor” for the doorsense contact?

Thats it. You update the z-wave lock device type by “august lock pro zwave lock with doorsense”. The child device sensor will be created automatically.

Regards!

Ok the issue I have is when the door is open it doesn’t change status. It only changes status after I open the old smarthings app then click on August smart lock pro and click refresh icon the one under the lock icon. That updates the status to open in both old and new smartthings app. After this if you close the door It will update the status to closed in both old and new app. However the cycle repeats if you open the door again the status wont be updated to open until I repeat the procedure I mentioned. any suggestions?

Ok the issue I have is when the door is open it doesn’t change status. It only changes status after I open the old smarthings app then click on August smart lock pro and click refresh icon the one under the lock icon. That updates the status to open in both old and new smartthings app. After this if you close the door It will update the status to closed in both old and new app. However the cycle repeats if you open the door again the status wont be updated to open until I repeat the procedure I mentioned. any suggestions?

Ok any tips on how to connect August Pro 3 & connect to Smartthings. Tried as per the instructions but the connect hub doesn’t get pick up.

In Australia.

August connect firmware is 2.2.1

Smartthings Hub
Firmware is 000.028.00012
Controller version 1.7.40-31

Thanks in Advance

Thanks for building this! It works great for me! It was pretty simple, all I did was

1. I already had the AugustPro connected to ST
  2. Added the device handler
  3. Edited the device type in ST web app from “z-wave lock without codes” to “august lock pro zwave lock with doorsense”
  4. created a new device for the sensor and set the type to “August child contact sensor”

Everything seems to be working fine. I’m not having the issue of the sensor not updating its status when there’s a chance. I created a quick test piston in WebCORE and as soon as I opened or closed the door I got a notification trigger for each.

I think I figured out what’s wrong. @Rafael_Borja You might be interested in this as well:

When auto-lock is enabled for the lock, the child contact sensor device stops responding to door open/close events. For those who the child contact device works, I bet they have auto-lock disabled in the lock settings.

Also a feature request: is it possible to have the contact sensor show up on the main lock device itself? You mentioned that you went the child device route for automation reasons, but I would love it if the lock device itself also shows up the contact status. I have no problem with the child device, I can easily hide it, and still use it for automation reasons.

1 Like

Possibly. I don’t have auto-lock enabled. I use ST to auto lock/un-lock and the contact sensor display status fine for me.

Thanks guys. I’m working in a fix and I’ll publish it soon.

Best regards!

1 Like

Thank you Rafael! Looking forward to your updated handler. Great work!

1 Like

I’m also having issues to connect my August Pro. It seems the Z-wave secure setup is not working. Raising a request with August and SmartThings