[NO LONGER SUPPORTED] Ask Alexa

19 is the only thing I can think of. I tried mine several times, but I didn’t get it to hear something that would trigger the minimum.

1 Like

So very odd. When I leave the max and min temp settings to default it reverts to minimum when I say 90. When I manually set the max and min say 40 and 95, it works fine.

1 Like

Maybe it’s a boundary condition issue. Didn’t get a lot of time to delve too much into this week

1 Like

Line 1111 in the current version.

if (num>0) num = num < tstatHighLimit && num > tstatLowLimit ? num : num > tstatHighLimit ? tstatHighLimit : tstatLowLimit

I think this is the line. The boundaries are written < > instead of <= >=
and in the second half where it falls through on the boundry’s where it shouldn’t
– since num 90 is NOT greater than tstatHighLimit (90) it returns tstatLowLimit (45)

who doesn’t love elvis? :wink:

3 Likes

This actually came from @N8XD

You are probably right…the logic may not be correct in this… I will have to take a look at it when I return from vacation.

Corrected my post…

Haha…almost…I just made the chart. Michael wrote the HUGE set of docs around it. :wink:

Bahahaha…third time is a charm. Edited again :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I edited the chart with Ask Alexa…hahah…you’re good!

1 Like

So I’m getting lots of timeout issues with my skill responses. I’ve increased the timeout to 10 but still having issues. Any other ideas on improving this?

I think I may have found the common issue, my Harmony switches seem to be the ones failing. I will look into that.

You may have to increase the timeout longer…web items can take a while to get back to SmartThings which hurts the overall delay.

What I’m thinking I will do is have AskAlexa call CoRE and then let CoRE toggle these Harmony switches. Eliminating the need to increase the timeout.

Now yer thinkin! Let the engine do the dirty work!

1 Like

Just use Yonomi, it works so much better, no switches, no pain just works…

I’m running an internal node.js server for a separate app that directly links Harmony to Alexa. Would it be much work to modify your app to run locally as well instead of using the Lambda web service from Amazon? Is Lambda where the delays are coming from in the first place?

Yes you could run your own handler…Alexa configuration, Endpoint, HTTPS…and then just have your public accessible webpage accept the JSON perform the operations and calls with your node.js server and return the results so Alexa can speak them. Generally It’s not Alexa or Lambda that’s slow, and 99% of the time it’s not smartthings that is slow…but when smarthings has to make a web call to lifx, or some other 3rd party web controlled device, that can take a few seconds. Some web systems have fire-and-forget handlers other web systems wait for a response from the device and then send it back…those have more accurate results, but take longer.

I was having issues with askAlexa telling me there was a problem with the requested response or something like that. After I increased the timeout to 10 seconds that seems to have gone away, but I’m still only about 50% successful for getting a response from the endpoint. I’m not using an Echo though…I’m using the Alexa Listens app on my phone, and typically what happens is the app will either close without speaking a response, or I’ll get an error message from the app. The command almost always executes successfully, it’s just the response that doesn’t come. Come to think of it, the only commands/macros that I remember not getting a response from are the ones that call a command to Chamberlain or Harmony, so maybe that’s the issue. Either way, my Echo Dot should be here next week, so I think I’ll wait until I get that up and running and see if that has any impact before I take off down the internal handler route. Good to know it’s an option though.

You can test the endpoint from Alexa Developer by typing in the words on the test page. That will run it through everything else and bypass the Echo/Dot/Listens input device, etc. You can also increase the timeout to 30 seconds in Lambda, and see if that catches more.

@MichaelS
Request, can you keep the publish dates in the groovy file along with the version history please. As you seem to be doing it now, the current release has a date and it is highlighted at the top of the list, then below is the version history with version number and a brief description. I am asking that you include the original publish date for the version in that history summary.

Q: Why? A: It allows us to go back through this forum post and see what users were posting during those days when each version was published. *I can’t always stay current on the forum of course, so when I read back it helps, but I want to tie the posts with the version updates.

Thanks for reviewing!