[NO LONGER SUPPORTED] Ask Alexa

Yeah but you know some of us install new devices weekly lol

2 Likes

Can you send a screen shot of there thermostats page? Also, can you remove the thermostats one at a time and see which one is causing the issue? If I had to bet, one of your thermostats is community created and doesn’t use the label properly (or keeps it null). Once you find the offending device send me a screen shot of the device itself from the Device List from the IDE.

You can also edit your device to put something in the label
I will see if I can code around it, however.

1 Like

The label was blank for the Honeywell thermostat. By updating it, it now works. I suppose for those of us who have a custom device type and the label is not filled in, we just need to know to fill it in. Unless you find a code work around. Thanks for your help!

I re-coded the section to trap the errors and and output to the log a warning to ensure the devices should be unique. I am not sure that is the best idea, however
that will only mask the error and may generate more issues as only half of the devices would show up in the list

We will see how many people have this situation. I HAVE updated the documentation to account for this

When I click show setup information I see this in the IDE:

java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toLowerCase() on null object @ line 691

Seems to be related to my thermostats - I removed them and it now works. Will have to look into it more

Question for you. I am getting an error that I have multiple devices with the same name. Now, I don’t have multiple devices in the sense that I have a room and a device or two different devices. What I did do, and I am not sure its allowed, is to use the same device for multi-function. I have the ‘Main Thermostat’ set up as a thermostat, as well as a temperature. Is this wrong? Does it assume by being a thermostat, that it can also report temperature? I tried to get the answer from the doc and I wasn’t clear. Thanks!

Same as @Big_Jim 's issue above, please ensure your labels are NOT empty (null) and you can control them

I am surprised people have labels that are blank
so I WILL send out 1.0.0a by end of day to accommodate these along with the documentation.

Hmmm
interesting
where are you getting the error? I know I did a trap for that when it does the setup, but I am not sure it faults out but instead should put something in the log

Let me know as I do believe this will be one of the more annoying pieces is getting your devices named correctly
but I don’t want to impede the use of the program either.

EDIT I just tried this and see what you mean (it says you have multiple devices)
I will have to noodle on this as it isn’t technically ‘wrong’ to do this, but it also creates issues
the best thing to do it just list the thermostat once as you can get the temperature reading from it when you ask Status. You could also set up a report that has the same devices and that should NOT conflict.

EDIT 2 This will not be an easy fix until I get two-dimensional responses put in
until then I have updated the doc: As mentioned in the Ask_Alexa#Tips_and_Tricks section, naming (labels) of your devices are rather important. In addition, even if you name everything uniquely, there are still areas where Alexa will respond with “You have multiple devices that are named < device name > in your SmartThings SmartApp. Please rename these items to something unique so I may properly utlize them.”. This could be caused by you choosing the same device for different functions. For example, you can choose a thermostat (Let’s say “office”) and also choose it for your temperature reading or humidity sensor. This will cause an issue as Alexa has no way of understanding the context of a device that is listed multiple times. It is best practice to not only name you devices uniquely, but use them once within your device setup. Please note that if you want the humidity from a thermostat, you only have the enable the multiple attributes reporting option under the <> menu.

1 Like

sorry should have looked up - one of my three had a label - odd but fixed

Excellent
very strange, but glad it is fixed!

I have everything hooked up and a quick test looks good. Nice work - very impressive. Will have to dig in more.

All of my devices have underscores in the name - old tech habit I guess. Seems I need to remove those to get this to work better?

Had to add LIST_OF_PARAMS and the associated 4 entries even though I don’t have a controllable thermostat. Since it’s called in Sample Utterances.

Just FYI for anyone else like me that isn’t fully plugged in!

1 Like

Ah yes
I will need to fix that as all of the slots are required
updating the app now
release tonight.

Thanks Micheal, it works great! Have you created a report listing devices that have not checked in since
? I didn’t see any way to do something like that.

I didn’t as I couldn’t figure a good way to get that to work outside of constantly polling the event log, and that is not a reliable way to do it. I did notice one instance in my setup where a water sensor hadn’t checked in and simply had a null output
when I ‘refreshed’ it, it worked properly
so that is not a reliable way to do it either.

If there are other ideas you have let me know
maybe in future versions if I can crack that nut.

Updated the app
will post tonight if there are no more issues folks encounter
Keep them coming!!!

Version 1.0.0a - Same day release. Bugs: nulls in the device label and ensure LIST_OF_PARAMS is always created

Even captured a line of code in the middle there that didn’t even belong
so good catch!

1 Like

Can you help me out with what reports are used for?

A few examples of reports that you have set up, how you invoke them and how they respond would be helpful.

Thank you.

Running SQL, attending meetings and installing Ask Alexa is a little bit too much for my brain, right about now

I’ve got one called Basement report. Tells me what’s on, temps of some sensors, and door’/windows that are open. One for my kids, says both of their devices status, outlets on, lights on, if their presence sensors are NOT here. Still building some

I noticed in the doc you mention that you can add custom colors, but I didn’t see where in the doc that can be done. The key to this app for me is color control verbally. (a few others as well). Could you help point me in the right direction for this input? Thanks!