[NO LONGER SUPPORTED] Ask Alexa

Brad,

Glad you got everything working ok, at least the basic sections. If I understand what you are looking for, you want the output of say, a battery report, to NOT come through the Alexa but instead go to another speaker? Is that correct? That should be possible if the speaker is recognized by Ask Alexa and SmartThings. As you already anticipated, you will use the Message Queue to accomplish this.

Send me a PM with some screenshots from Ask Alexa, like your message queue settings, and we can work through this.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I am trying to use Alexa routines to smooth out the voice commands for my wife who is somewhat averse to technology. Specifically I am hoping to eliminate the need to say ā€œAlexa ask Smartthings toā€¦ā€ by adding an Alexa routine that toggles an ST virtual switch, that invokes an ask alexa macro that checks the status of a sensor and then reports that sensor value (i.e. whether the garage door is open, or the temperature in the nursery).

As I understand it. the dots and echo are not able to do voice report using this chain because it originates in Alexa rather than ST, and i must instead use a smart speaker with the message queue. If I am wrong about that, Iā€™d be quite happy, because it means that I donā€™t need to buy more Eufys, wonderful as they are.

Is my chain of reasoning correct?

Correctā€¦when you initiate a something from Alexa without using an invocation word you can not get the output of that skill directly. So, your logic IS sound. I do this with my good night routineā€¦http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Ask_Alexa#Good_Night_Weekdays.2FWeekends_.28Native.2C_Non-Invocation.29

As I posted above, you CAN rename the skill to a room so it doesnā€™t have to be ā€œSmart Thingsā€. It could be ā€œhouseā€ or ā€œLiving Roomā€ and then you can step up multiple versions of the skill for each room.

The other option if you have only one report you want to initiate you CAN put it in a flash briefing, then to get it to play ON THE ALEXA is ā€˜Alexa, flash briefingā€™. This is how I do it even though I have Sonos speakers throughout the house.

Thanks! Yes, Iā€™ve already changed the skill name to DogHouse, which is easier to say, but weā€™d still like that extra bit of ease if we can manage. The FB suggestion is interesting and I hadnā€™t thought of that, but Iā€™d like to pursue the smart things option now that Iā€™ve found these cheap Eufys.

Thank you for offering to help diagnose. Iā€™ll send you some screenshots of my message queue settings. I do know that the macro is working and generating appropriate responses because they show up in the message queue, and I also have it push notifications to my phone.

Sounds goodā€¦I will look for a PM for you as this SHOULD be easy.

@MichaelS Have you updated the Ask Alexa App twice in the last few days? As I noticed it in the IDE.

Yesā€¦just added a comma in one of the outputsā€¦the latest version is 2.3.4a.

Just a comma, I was looking for a change. HA HA.

I am trying to get Ask Alexa installed because for some reason Alexa hasnā€™t been working with most of my devices, returning ā€œI couldnā€™t find a device or group called ā€¦ in Jeremyā€™s profileā€ for almost all of my devices except for 1 or 2. So Iā€™ve created a ticket with Amazon to get this looked at (I doubt they can help).

Iā€™ve been wanting to try Ask Alexa out for a while and what better time than now. So far I have added all of my devices and made sure there were no doubles of anything. Now, every time I try to open settings I am greeted with ā€œSomethingā€™s Wrong. We canā€™t load your screen right now.ā€ I noticed someone else had a similar issue earlier but with a different error than mine. Iā€™ve posted a screenshot of the live log while attempting to open settings.

Jeremy,

Has this been working for you and it just suddenly stopped working? Or is this a first time install? It almost appears something got mis-copied in the code. Again, if you did nothing, it was working and then stopped that is a SmartThings issueā€¦Usually it resolves itself within 24 hours. if this is a first time install I would recommend going over the steps again to make sure you copied all of the correct pieces and parts as it does work properly (just used it tonight).

It is a first time install. I definitely couldā€™ve messed up while copying the code. Iā€™ll try to update all the apps again and see if that solves it. Thank you!

okā€¦Be sure to remove the app completely and then reload the code from the instructions: http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Ask_Alexa

And be sure to get the RAW codeā€¦like this: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MichaelStruck/SmartThingsPublic/master/smartapps/michaelstruck/ask-alexa.src/ask-alexa.groovy

I tried copying the code again but it didnā€™t work. How do I completely remove a smartapp?

Go to the smartapp itself, go to About Ask Alexa, then hit REMOVE at the bottom of the page.

Then go into the IDE and remove the code from memory, then start again. That all seems radical, but I think you have something stuck in memory that needs the full app to be removed. Saw this earlier in the week with someone else and it was on the ST side of things.

I get the same error when I try to open About Ask Alexa. ā€œSomethingā€™s Wrongā€

Then attempt to remove it via the IDEā€¦Go to My Locations, SmartApps. Click Edit at the top of the screen, then delete the extensions/macros below Ask Alexa, then Ask Alexa itself.

I also sent you a PM so we conā€™t clog this thread.

The Echo just got released in Canada (finally). Iā€™ve been using AskAlexa since it was released on my Echoā€™s I got while travelling in the USA. Anyway, now that itā€™s officially supported in Canada, if I change the language to ā€œEnglish (Canada)ā€ AskAlexa does not respond. As soon as I change it to ā€œEnglish (United States)ā€, everything responds.

Is there anything I need to do on my end to get the language working? Not sure if I need to play with the LAMBDA code or the skill itself so before I make it worse, I thought Iā€™d ask :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help in advance

Where are you changing this setting. Ask Alexa is English only and that is how the skill should be set up, which should be separate from the main Alexa setup.

In the Alexa app in the settings of the Echo where you enter the address, etc.

I actually just discovered that I just need to add another language in the skill page on https://developer.amazon.com. Iā€™ll let you know how it goes

1 Like

@MichaelS if Amazon ever releases other languages, will Ask Alexa be able to support them eventually?