[NO LONGER SUPPORTED] Ask Alexa

Tried it. No joy.

Yeah
was just replying
let’s keep this in PM to keep this thread clean

Got it fixed! Thanks @runner1717 for testing the new code.

1 Like

I have updated Ask Alexa to 2.3.3 and now supports macros being activated via native Alexa routines!

2 Likes

This is HUGE! Thank you! After reading through your documentation on this, and adding the code for the virtual switch triggers, I now tell Alexa “Good Night”, “Good Morning” and “Goodbye” without having to use the invocation phrase, which makes my interaction with her soooooo much more natural! Although I had gotten used to using the invocation phrase, getting non-geeks in the household to use it was virtually impossible.

P.S. The introduction of native routines also had one other positive side effect for me in particular with my Caseta Wireless
-managed Lutron Serena Shades—I was able to create routines that open the shades using natural language “open” and “close” instead of the clunky/counterintuitive “on” and “off” that I’d previously been relegated to.

Thanks again, Michael!

1 Like

I agree
with just some Control Macros and my Message Queue setup, I can STILL get my reports and status AND control my house almost all without Invocations words. However, Ask Alexa is still needed to get these features, and for the high end user, there are still fun options like Snarky response, different voice speeds, and ultra control over devices and reports!

Glad this was a great upgrade for you!

1 Like

@MichaelS Michael I have a suggestion, Please add the hours where the messages in queue can be played using speakers, as I was just thinking that I wouldn’t want a message that a macro was run in the late or early hours. Does that make sense?

1 Like

Joel,

This is a good idea, and is already in Ask Alexa! In each of the message queues find the ‘restrictions’ area
it will allow you to define when/conditions that the messages will play!

Yes Michael I realize it is in each Macro, I was thinking globally. In my case I would set the same time restrictions for all. So doing it once opposed to six times. Just the thoughts of a lazy man.

Yes. It IS universal. Look in the Message Queue. You can restrict it from there

OK now I am embarrassed. Hidden in plain site, why would I look in the place it should be, when I could look everywhere i shouldn’t? That is why I always look for the hard way, and not the easy way. I won’t question you again. :clown_face:

I try to put things where they would logically go. :slight_smile:

Glad you found it and I assume got it going.

Hey Michael,

I’m trying to apply the general concept of passing a parameter from AskAlexa to webCore to change the scheduled time of my wakeup routine each day. Below is my post I’ve copied over from the webCore forums. I’d appreciate any thoughts you have.

I’ve been trying to figure out a solution for about 6 hours and I’m finally giving in and asking for help. I’ll try to be brief.

My use case is a morning routine that needs to start while I’m still asleep (so my heated floors can get up to temp before my feet touch them). The main complication is that my wake up time varies from 3am-9am, so I have to set a new time every night before bed.

My ideal solution would involve using Ask Alexa to run a macro and pass a (time) parameter into a piston which would update a variable that is used to fire the morning routine every 1 day at (variable) time. I’ve been able to follow the instructions here: http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Using_Parameters_with_Ask_Alexa_and_webCoRE and can get a parameter passed (I see it come across in Smartthings Live Logging), but it doesn’t seem to actually fire the piston. I’m also not sure that Ask Alexa can pass a ‘time’ variable so I was using a very clunky “x minutes after midnight” formula just to see if I could get it working at all. Clearly I have not.

There are other conditions, triggers, and events I want as part of this routine, so it really will require webCore if I can get it working at all. Thanks for taking the time.

Suggestions, better ideas, and ridicule are all welcome.

Cheers,
Kevin

Thanks Michael all working now. And I must say great. I thought there would be a very long delay, but even with the command going up to the cloud so many times it works real well. As usual the Wifi WeMo lags behind. I am in the process of removing all Wemo from the system.

1 Like

It sounds like it is working from an Ask Alexa standpoint
if the parameter is being passed to WebCore, it would seem like WebCore(specifically the logic in the Piston) is not being used correctly.

It is not clear, but is the goal to spend the same amount of time sleeping (i.e. 8 hours) or you are setting a wake up time and passing that?

Can you share your output and how you are passing the variable over? Has anyone with WebCore expertise been helpful?

@MichaelS . Michael I need some input help! The problem is that my message Queue output to speakers is not maintaining volume level of 50%. It drops so low I can’t hear it. I am not having the problem with Big Talker, only the message Queue. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Are you setting up the volume in the message Queue? If not the volume will play at the last set volume. I tried this and it seems to work if you set it in the message queue area.

Yes it is done, but I think it isn’t Ask Alexa, but the DTH provided by ST. I see the volume decreasing over minutes in the DTH. I just sent a message to ST. ST doesn’t handle measurements e=well, example is battery levels.

1 Like

No pistons are firing, webcore is temporally rate limited owing to a DST bug. Check the webcore forum for updates.

I also see that Alexa commands are either need to be repeated or not working, when linked to St also Smart Lighting not turning lights on at sunset. From ST

Alexa Routine Execution
Incident Report for SmartThings
Investigating
With the latest release of Amazon’s new Alexa API, some users may experience an issue with executing Routines. We are actively investigating with Amazon and will post updates here. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Nov 5, 17:33 EST
This incident affects: SmartApps (North America, UK).
View status page or manage your subscription to these emails.