[NO LONGER SUPPORTED] Ask Alexa

Amazon is like that…sometimes things work, sometimes they don’t

The items you are listing that are still not working sounds like Alexa isn’t hearing you correctly…What commands are you using? Can you share the output of the live logging (probably in PM)? If one thing works but others don’t it is usually a misunderstanding issue.

Thanks for the response Michael. I will send you the logs and some screenshots today. I have verified yesterday that alexa is hearing me correctly.

1 Like

Hi all,

Just a couple of questions:

Does installing Ask Alexa interfere with Amazon as they develop new command structure?

Will I still be able to use my Alexa commands, like Alexa turn on the kitchen light. Or do I have to use Alexa tell smart things to turn on the kitchen light?

I think I’d like a lot of the benefits of Ask Alexa, but I don’t want to give up the simplicity of what I have now.

Thanks!

Mike

Mike,

Anything you do within the skill is isolated from other apps or functionality of Alexa. I can (and have) expanded the structure beyond the core Alexa function. So yes, you can use the native functionality of Alexa and use Ask Alexa…for turning on and off lights I actually recommend using the native integration…you only use my skill if you want a bit more information from the devices or run more complex macros. That is how I use mine.

Is anyone using Ask Alexa with a GoControl GC-TBZ48L z-wave thermostat? I just installed one and it paired with ST without any problems. I see it and can select it as a thermostat in Ask Alexa and I added it to the device slot but I get the “I had some problems finding the device you specified” response when I ask Ask Alexa to do anything with it. It also doesn’t show up in the LIST_OF_DEVICES when I generate one.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to what might be wrong are appreciated.

While it is strange it doesn’t show up in the list of devices what if you add it manually? Does it work then? If so let me work with you via PM on why it wouldn’t show up. If it is in the thermostat area on the main menu it should appear when you run the setup variables.

Thanks, Michael. I found it. It was operator error on my part (a typo).

It looks like the new Sonos skill has a strict utterance format. Have you tried the following?

“Alexa, play brand new music in the [Sonos Name]”

e.g.

“Alexa, play brand new music in the Living Room”

or

"Alexa, what song is playing in the Living Room?

Those commands worked for me on my Sonos “CONNECT” using the new Sonos skill. It basically functions just like a remote Echo/Echo Dot — same commands appear to work, as long as you say “in the” [sonos name] or “on the” [Sonos name] (and maybe some other combinations as well).

Also, I just discovered the exhaustive list of commands: Controlling your Sonos with Amazon Alexa

Hi @MichaelS I have sent you a pm with the logs you requested.

Excellent! Thanks MichaelS!

Mike

1 Like

Yeah…I tried those…all I can do is play and pause the speakers…changing music is not currently working. I have a feeling that it is because my Sonos in each room is the same name as my Echo…I will continue to play with this and see what happens…

Thanks for the tip!

EDIT The name of the device CAN NOT be the same as the echo…changing Living Room to Livingroom Sonos worked!!!

So…I am going to start removing the song features from Ask Alexa as they are now redundant…anyone who has issues with this please speak now!!! Did this feature even work with other speakers besides Sonos? If so, what features?

When creating rooms and other extensions what is the equivalent in the schema? I assume if you add new extensions you have to update the inputs right?

Technically, no…it uses the same on, off, lock, unlock, open, close commands as the devices. As long as you update your slots with the outputs of Setup Variables the rooms will be controlled just like single devices (except controls whatever is in the room).

Does that make sense?

Sorry that is what I meant. If I add lets say a Room called Den in the app and a Voice Report called Batteries I would have to go to https://developer.amazon.com and update the custom slots for
LIST_OF_MACROS and what else? I ask because when i update the List_Of_MACROS and test I get: I had some problems finding the device you specified. So there is likely another part i need to update.

I really recommend you update everything that is output via Setup Variables as there are situations where random items MAY be updated based on what you have chosen. For example, “play” is not added unless you add speakers, so there is some dynamic stuff happening behind the scenes. For rooms, however, the rule of thumb is that the name needs to be in List Of Macros.

Unless all of the slots match what you get for output I recommend you include everything that it outputs. The error you are getting is because it appears you have stray devices in your list of devices that are conflicting with the macro names possibly. Without seeing your setup, however, that is the first thing I can think of. Trust me…when the slots are correct and it hears you correctly this works every time.

So everytime I add to the app i have to update everything from https://graph.api.smartthings.com/api/smartapps/installations/

Just making sure this is the correct procedure.

no…Evertime you update the app on your mobile device (add or remove a device, add or remove a macro/extension name, etc) or update the app version you should update the slots…may seem tedious, but once you stabilize your setup you will find you rarely have to go into it,

1 Like

Oh wow, I’m shocked that even play / pause worked at all of you had duplicate names. That’s definitely a recipe for disaster since the new Sonos integration actually creates a pseudo Echo on your Alexa account. If you look under your Alexa.com Settings, you’ll see your Living Room Sonos listed alongside your Living Room Echo. You can even customize the device location (I.e. Home address, etc.) like you can with your other Echo devices.

That said, the integration is still rough around the edges…it often misinterprets my request (even when I check the Alexa history and I can clearly see that she heard my words correctly).

1 Like

I accidentally published “Ask Alexa Rooms/Groups” in the Smartthings IDE. Would this be an issue?
I tried deleting the smartapp, but it doesn’t let me delete.

You can publish the extensions…no issues…The only reason it isn’t recommended is that the extension shows up in the marketplace when published. You can keep it as is and it makes it easy to publish them all especially when you have them linked to GitHub.

1 Like