[NO LONGER SUPPORTED] Ask Alexa

No…you should not delete anything…This indicates you were probably upgrading and missed putting the new intents in…You MUST update everything on that page when going from an older version. Start with the intents, then the slots, then finally the utterances.

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks very much. That sorted it. I updated the slots, but missed the Intent :slight_smile:

No worried…glad you got it working…Enjoy and let me know if you ever run into any issues.

Hi Michael, I am currently away from home, so tested it using the service simulator. I get the below error when I try to turn on my kitchen light. What could I be doing wrong?

"There was an error with the Ask Alexa SmartApp execution. If this continues, please contact the author of the SmartApp. "

Below is what I have entered in the Service Simulator.

That indicates there is an issue with the Oauth or Tokens pasted in your Lambda code…did it work with voice but doesn’t work with the simulator? That would be a new one on me…what if you just type Kitchen in the simulator…does it give you the status?

Hi Michael, You are right, I got the token Id wrong.

1 Like

I had a problem running a battery report for all my devices. I would get “There was a problem with the requested skill’s response.” After some troubleshooting I figured out that the problem only occurred when I added my smoke detector to the battery report. I finally figured out that it was because it was not in the list_of_devices. I went back and could not find a place to add it into Ask Alexa as a device even though it came up in the last of devices with batteries. I manually added it to the list_of_devices and everything started working. Did I miss something somewhere?

I am trying to create a WebCoRE piston to run an Ask alexa macro. But WebCoRE doesn’t see Ask Alexa installed. Can someone please help me integrate the two?

Jim,

That is the weirdest problem I have seen…the device does not need to be in any list if it is included in a voice report. The ONLY thing in that case is that name of the voice report needs to be in the list of macros.

Can you do an A/B test a couple times to confirm that is occurring. Then PM me and I would like to get some live logging information as something is causing Lambda to throw that error with that specific name…very weird.

Good troubleshooting, however!

@sapstar…WebCoRE is still in development and @ady624 hsan’t added support for Ask Alexa yet.

However, you may be misunderstanding the integration. Even if it was working, you would not be able to run a macro from WebCoRE. WebCoRE would only use the actual running of the macro as a trigger to a WebCoRE piston. It does not run anything in Ask Alexa as those reports, commands and macros are ONLY activated with voice commands…You can not wake up Alexa without voice, so running a macro would give no feedback.

Ask Alexa DOES have the ability, however, to run WebCoRE pistons. You will create a WebCore Macro within Ask Alexa, designate the piston you want to run and then you can activate that with your voice.

Does that make sense?

I don’t want to sound dense, but can you please provide an example?

Here is a very advanced example with another user I worked with. However, the concept is basically he created an Ask Alexa WebCoRE trigger macro and used it to run a piston:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Using_Parameters_with_Ask_Alexa_and_webCoRE

I can see if I can provide another example if you’d like. The instructions for the WebCoRE triggers are here: http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Ask_Alexa_-_Macros#WebCoRE_Trigger

Thank you that is something I have to look into.

Thanks very much for the clarification Michael. Makes sense now.

1 Like

How do I update lambda if Alexa says it’s out of date?

What version were you on and what a are you going to? If it is anything older than 2.3.0 then you probably need to reinstall the app in the instructions in the wiki as LOT has changed.

The lambda code, if that is all that is needed to update (unlikely) is here:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MichaelStruck/SmartThingsPublic/master/smartapps/michaelstruck/ask-alexa.src/Node.js

However, that may be only 1/2 of the battle. Please ensure you go through the instructions again to make sure everything is updated: http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Ask_Alexa

Welcome to another Friday! There has been a LOT going on this week! Google released news about a whole plethora of items. I ordered a new Pixel phone to replace my aging Nexus phone, and it appears I get a new Google Home mini. Great…I use my current Google Home about once per month, so this might just go on eBay. :slight_smile:

In bigger news, Sonos released an Alexa skill and a new device with Alexa built in. This is what I have been waiting for!! SmartThing’s implementation of the Sonos devices was rather average, and I had to do some coding magic to get it to work in Ask Alexa. Unfortunately, the skill doesn’t work very well for me (it doesn’t play new music…it just can control the speaker with play, mute, etc). When this finally works I will be pulling out all control mechanisms for the Sonos from Ask Alexa. This does NOT mean that anything happens with the Message Queue or the Voice reporting of the speaker state…only the basic commands that are not native to Alexa (play, mute, pause, etc). I like less complicated code. Unless I hear a rather good reason from the user community, this will be remarked out in the code in the next few versions.

Speaking of the Message Queue, Ask Alexa has yet another partner app that it is compatible with. @yvesracine has released the MyFlair Devices (Puck,Vent,HvacUnit) & Service Manager with Ask Alexa Message Queue support. This makes 18 integrations with other developer apps, the largest in the SmartThings community. Be sure to check out the thread here: NEW - [RELEASE] FLAIR DEVICES with new capabilities for building physical zones in your home and controlling your mini/window splits, portable heaters/coolers

Finally, I am actively working on version 2.3.3. Until then, be sure to refresh your IDE apps and utterances as I have updated them this week after finding some obscure issues with the help of @Kneemuh and @joelw135. Please find the latest versions here: http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Ask_Alexa#Latest_Version

Speaking of versions, I have deviated from my original roadmap that I published months ago. My next Friday ‘essay’ will go over the changes. It is all good! I dropped the ‘for fee’ model I was working on as, frankly, Amazon now has it on their roadmap and I don’t like creating redundancy without value. However, I have moved to include more things like compound messages and making Alexa ‘smarter’ with more logic to do more things with one command. Be on the lookout for this roadmap next week.

Until then….enjoy!

5 Likes

I am quite new to ask Alexa and testing out some macros. I have created the below voice reports.

door window report
battery report
humidity report
temperature report

And below weather report

weather today
weather tomorrow

Alexa responds as expected for battery report and weather today, but for the rest it tells me that there’s no macro by that name. I have all the slots created correctly for macros. What could I be found wrong?

I can also confirm from the Alexa app that it is hearing me correctly.

I ran the tests on Amazon developer website as well with same behaviour.

I think you may have a conflict within the internal vocabulary…try to rename one of the reports (like temperature report) to something like “outside report” and see if it works…If so, then key words like door, window, humidity, temperature are not confusing the logic behind the scenes.

Hi Michael, thanks very much for your response. I am not sure what has changed, but door window report now works without me changing anything.

I have renamed temperature report and humidity report to something as simple as test report. But it still doesn’t work. This time I get the smartthings list command as output. Same with the weather tomorrow.