[NO LONGER SUPPORTED] Ask Alexa

@joelw135
Thanks for your help, but I don’t have “MyApps” there, I looked carefully. Here is the screen snap of what I see:

I think that you should open the ST IDE and open the Ask Alexa smart app then click save again then publish for me again. Then open the ST IOS app and check where I told you in the above post.

@MichaelS @joelw135
Thanks again for your help. I just did it what Joel recommended to no avail. Still no MyApps in my iOS ST. Here is the screen grab of my ST IDE:

Let’s wate for MichaelS to see.

This has nothing to do with the IDE…it should be in the mobile app…I don’t gave an iPhone do I can’t duplicate the experience. Can someone with an iPhone help here? Are the “my apps” buried under “more”?

Did you click on the (+ More)?
It should be be there…

Edit sorry i was wrong.
Discard this

You might want to double-check that you are installing Ask Alexa to the specific shard that your Hub has been assigned to (search for ‘shard’ in the SmartThings Community).

I am on IOS and here is a screenshot of the My Apps.

I am hoping to get some help. I am new to SmartThings, and the echo. I have a one hub, one tilt sensor, and one GoCOntrol fs20z-1 relay to control my garage doors. I installed a “virtual garage door” app, and setup a virtual garage door device. It basically ties the tilt sensor and rely together to show open and closed and control the door. It works great in the app, and if i test it from the lambda console, but if i talk to alexa she says she cant find the device. I have been trying for 2 days to get it to work. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Well i am not sure why but it is working now. Maybe it just needed time to sync up? I dont know.

1 Like

Not sure…could be a sync issue…but glad it is working now.

problem solved!!! thank you, MichaelS!!

Those are not the screenshots I need to troubleshoot this, however, for the error I see this has to do with the three likes of code that is supposed to be installed into your Lambda code. Did you get this section completed: http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Ask_Alexa#Finalizing_The_Function_Code

Let me know if this helps or we could take this to Private Message to continue to troubleshoot.

Hi @MichaelS,

I have a very typical “Good Morning” routine configured that opens window shades and turns on a set of lights, but I would also like to add music to it—specifically, to turn on music on an Echo Dot in a different room than the Echo Dot I issue the “Good Morning” routine on. I have a Dot in the bedroom where I issue the command, and then another Dot in the living room which has its audio output jack plugged directly into the whole-home NuVo sound system. Today, I can get the music to play in the Living Room Dot from the Bedroom Dot by saying, “Alexa, play music in the living room”.

But is there a way to trigger music to start on that living room Dot as part of the Good Morning routine? Either directly from the Ask Alexa macro, or via a REST API call triggered by the macro, or a webCoRE piston triggered by the macro, or some other method entirely?

Thanks as always!

Unfortunately you can’t. There is very little ability to wake up an echo to do or say anything on its own and it is even more difficult to control individual echos within your account. If you were talking about music to a Sonos or Smartthings connected speaker that is possible. But controlling individual echos is not possible.

Bummer.

There is a Sonos in the house, and I was actually using it previously, but interaction with it seemed rudimentary. I could only figure out how to start/stop playback, and advance to the next track, but I could never figure out voice commands to tell it to play a specific song, or shuffle music from a specific artist, or play a specific station, or “like/dislike” a song, or even adjust the volume, so I switched away from the Sonos to use the native Echo interface, which feels like I get greater granularity of voice commands over the type of music playing than with Sonos.

Right…Ask Alexa CAN control the basic settings of the Sonos (play, stop, etc)…It can not select from random music, however…it can only play playlists that you have already defined…I wish there was move control over this!

Welcome to another Friday! Ironically, there is not much to report in the ways of SmartThings or Amazon. There were some news reports about Nest and their new security devices (which I would expect that @tonesto7 is all over!), along with some cheaper Google Home devices that are meant to compete with the Alexa Dot. Other than that, it has been a slow week, but I expect my excitement to go up with the October 4th Google Announcements. I need a new phone and it sound like the Pixel 2 XL will be it! I am not ‘drummer’ for Apple products, and the iPhone X (to me) is a ‘me too’ device….nothing innovative about it…I was doing face unlocking on my phone 4 years ago, and stopped using it when it was demonstrated that it could be fooled…I have since used fingerprint unlocking and it has NEVER failed me. I think Apple may be losing its way in terms of innovating.

Anyway, on the Ask Alexa front I am getting very positive feedback about the Rooms/Groups extension; mostly about how EASY it is to use. No setting up of multiple skills, and very intuitive…simplify set up the room with the devices and then control them in a natural way (i.e. “Turn on the {room}”, “Lock the {room}”, etc.

I have started working on the next revision and have added new functionality for those that want to know the sun’s UV index from devices that support that functionality. Once again, I have to thank @Matthew_Freestone for motivating me to build this in with allowing me to use his API for the Bloomsky device (https://www.bloomsky.com). While a very specialized device, the functionality could benefit some within the community.

I am also working on adding compound commands to Ask Alexa (for example: “Alexa, tell SmartThings to turn on the kitchen and the patio”). This was a suggestion from @Wtstreetglow and while it was on the roadmap, he was able to make a good use case for its inclusion. Fortunately, I have coded my app in such a way that additions like this are easy to implement. There will be no need for me to re-write my app just to support it.

Anyway, everyone have a great weekend.

1 Like

Same to you Michael.

Michael,

I’d be curious to see if you have or know of people that have experience with Bose Soundtouch speakers (10/20/30.) I’ve tried to have, for example, text to speech, come through the speakers via Amazon and it’s just been a horrible experience. I have the Echo dots connected to Bluetooth and my experience has been when ST sends the text to speech commands to the speakers, they work (barely, the beginning of the sentence is cut off) and then the speakers have their power totally shut off. Bose and ST are approved devices, I’m surprised I haven’t heard more people complaining about how they don’t interact well with each other (unless it’s user error :slight_smile: )