[NO LONGER SUPPORTED] Ask Alexa

First step, i install this alpha version of the hunter douglass/powerview app, along with the three different device handlers (room, shade & scene):

Once all set up and i have it connected to the powerview hub, I add the blinds and the scenes that are stored on the hub, in the picture below it has added “kitchen Blinds” for the room kitchen, when in this device it has two options open and close (see second picture)

https://s2.postimg.org/paexp3c6h/Screenshot_20170828-190434.png

https://s2.postimg.org/i8h02w8kp/Screenshot_20170828-191238.png

It has also added three more devices/buttons - these are “kitchen open”, “Kitchen closed” and “Kitchen halfway” - these are scenes stored on the powerview hub - these devices on smartthings are momentary buttons, when pressed they invoke the scene stored on the powerview hub (blinds open, closed, halfway)

Its at this stage that I cannot control these devices via alexa. The alexa app will only discover the buttons for the scenes, not the one for kitchen blinds (just like it natively ignores many other devices like doors or locks). Whilst I can add the kitchen blinds device to askalexa, it still wont let me invoke an open or closed state.

I of course give the askalexa app permission to control all of these devices/buttons, and ensure they are listed in the device list on AWS.

The position Im trying to get to is being able to say “alexa, ask smartthings to open the kitchen blinds”, or “alexa ask smartthings to open the kitchen blinds halfway” - and the corresponding action occur.

That is what I don’t understand…unless the device doesn’t accept “open” or “close” API calls, it should work.

slowly getting somewhere - along with the devices shown, it also adds a device for each individual blind (my kitchen blinds consist of three blinds). If I give askalexa access to those in the door/window/lock section, then I can say “ask smartthings to close blind 1” and it closes. But asking the same thing of the device kitchen blinds does nothing - kitchen blinds is a group of physical blind 1, 2 and 3.

Also I cant open the blind once ive closed it. Though I assume that will be some form of security thing ive missed, allowing me to close but not open.

If you look in live logging, is Alexa hearing the ‘open’ command? You should have the word ‘open’ in your developer slots as well. If it is missing it would act as you described. I would go through the Amazon Variables (under Settings) to ensure you captured all of the variables necessary to run the devices.

I’m the author of the Hunter Douglas integration you’re using. I am not an Ask Alexa user, so I can’t tell you from first-hand experience what’s wrong. From what @MichaelS is saying, however, it seems like it should work. As you mentioned, I consider this integration ‘alpha quality’ as there are a number of TODOs and features I am unable to test given I do not have access to all the various kinds of Hunter Douglas blinds.

Can you go into the SmartApp settings and ensure that your ‘Kitchen Blinds’ has an ‘Open’ and ‘Close’ scene set? The ‘Kitchen Blinds’ device is a sort of pseudo-device that represents a group of blinds, which in turn are opened and closed via specific scenes. (You can specify only an open scene, only a close scene, or both.)

From your description, it seems like there might be a bit of a disconnect in how this ‘Kitchen Blinds’ device operates. It does not “know” about the various individual blinds, nor does it control them independently. So, for instance, it will not support a scenario like “open the Kitchen Blinds halfway” where it then turns around and triggers each blind individually to open to 50%. Rather, it knows there is a room named Kitchen, and that it has blinds, and lets you specify a scene to “open” or “close” those blinds.

Now, I’m not saying it couldn’t work the other way, but it doesn’t right now. In fact, the reason for this ‘Kitchen Blinds’ pseudo-device is because I was seeing very haphazard responses when I had configured individual blinds in Echosistant to be able to tell Alexa “open the blinds in the living room.” Some would open, some wouldn’t, and in general I have found the Hunter Douglas PowerView hub to be very flaky when trying to control multiple blinds at once. It is far more reliable to configure scenes in the PowerView app, and then trigger just one specific scene that controls multiple blinds. Wanting to have the best of both worlds, I added this “room” pseudo-device that looks like a window covering device to ST, but is really just using PowerView scenes to control multiple blinds.

Does that explanation help at all? If you’re still running into problems, I’d be happy to help troubleshoot some more. If it seems more like an issue with the Hunter Douglas integration rather than Ask Alexa, maybe we could move the discussion to that topic rather than cluttering up this one. Thanks!

1 Like

It is Friday and with no home game this weekend I am back to my weekly updates on Friday this week. Next week’s update will probably be on Thursday as I am going to Green Bay for the season opener.

It has been another interesting week for Home Automation, Amazon and SmartThings. First, Alexa now gets ‘Sonos’ like abilities as outlined here:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=176060&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2297100

I tried this at home as I have an Echo in every room (with a Sonos speaker in every room as well), and the sync between the speakers is rather good! Nicely done Amazon…now get to Push notifications!!! I also imply from that article above that direct Sonos control is forthcoming. I look forward to this so I can strip out the direct music selection from Ask Alexa as it is hit and miss with regard to working because of the SmartThings implementation. I MAY keep the actual controls in (play, pause, etc), depending on what Amazon implements.

Nest released a new thermostat yesterday, and it WILL work with Ask Alexa as long as you have something like NST Manager or the custom DTH to run it in SmartThings.

Speaking of SmartThings, there was an unannounced firmware upgrade that seems went good for most folks. It appears the prior work on the firmware now allows for less impactful upgrades in the future. Good work, SmartThings!

As for the Ask Alexa updates I sent last week, I wanted to send some screenshots of how the new Rooms/Groups extension is coming along. As you can see below, the interface is typical Ask Alexa with common icons for function. You will also notice that since the controls are now context based (instead of device based), you have a more streamlined selection process for things like switches, dimmers, colored lights, etc. Simply choose the devices in the room and you are ready to go.

Finally, I have solved the whole ‘open/close” for the doors and shades; if you have both of these devices in your environment you can choose the default function when you give the open or close command (either doors or the shades, or both). This also goes for setting levels with the thermostats and dimmers. If you have both devices selected you have a choice to which is your default. However, you can also append “cooling” or “heating” to the thermostat commands and still have functionality to control the room temperature AND the level of the lights. I will expand on that in future versions to allow directives (doors, thermostats, lights, etc) as part of the command, which will then allow the app to evolve to a true room controller without the need for separate skills….everything will simply be accessed from the single Ask Alexa skill (i.e. “Alexa, tell SmartThings to turn on the table light in the dining room”).

As for a release date, I am thinking probably 9/15 when I am back and settled, along with completing the testing of the app.

Enjoy!

3 Likes

Hey there. Thanks for the reply. It’s been a while since I’ve had time to give to this, so sorry for the delay.

I’m using the Linear Z-Wave GDz004 for my garage door. I checked my slots, and both open and close are available in there.

The strange part is that closing the garage works - whether I give the command and pin together or give the command and follow up with the pin.

Opening the garage door works - ONLY if I give the command and then follow up with the pin separately. If I give the command and pin in one phrase (no follow up) I get “I am undefineding the garage door.” I can PM logs if you need them.

You can post the logs here…there is nothing in the logs that will allow others to control your stuff unless they have all of the pieces (token, appID, etc)…but what you are saying doesn’t make sense from a programming standpoint…they are the same command. I recommend you us the simulator to see if you can make this happen…that will tell you Alexa is simply not hearing you correctly…

I am new to smartthings and echo integration. I am new to the whole smart home scene. I have been trying to get ask alexa to work for 6 hours straight with no luck. It is driving me crazy. Not sure what I am doing wrong, but my echo is not recognizing any commands from ask alexa. I followed the instructions on wiki to a T. Any help would be appreciated.

We will need logs and such to troubleshoot, but 95% of the issues I ever see have to do with the Lambda code integration. Here is what I suggest:

Go to the smartapp, and then settings
Revoke/Reset the Access Token
In the main menu, go to about Ask Alexa. Ensure you see the AppID and TokenID in the middle area (you will need to open the area with the little + sign).
If there is a number in there, then go back and follow the process here: http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Ask_Alexa#Finalizing_The_Function_Code

After this, save everything and watch the Live Logging in the SmartThings IDE…when you issue commands you should see activity under Ask Alexa. If not, something else is wrong. Make note of exactly what Alexa says and post it here.

There have been thousands of installs of this app, so it does work…but it isn’t easy…you will get through it. Just let me know the results you get.

This is what I get

)

What if you simply give the command “Alexa, ask SmartThings for Help”…what happens then?

Not 100% why you posted that…that isn’t related to Ask Alexa…If it proves the overall system works that is fine, but you have to ‘invocate’ the Ask Alexa App by appending “ask smarthings” to your Alexa name.

Alexa, Ask SmartThing for help

Sorry i thought that was the error message you wanted to see. Where do I find the log you need?

Again, it is less about the logs right now…what happens when you simply say “Alexa, Ask SmartThing for help”

“There was a problem with the requested skills response”

Thats the only response i get when i ask smartthings for help. Other commands she just says she doesn’t know how to help. I didn’t really how “stupid” this smart device really is until i watched a video demoing the ask alexa app. World of difference. I am just dumbfounded on what I did wrong

Ok…so that tells me you still don’t have the basic integration correct…PM me with a screen shot of your Lambda code and we can work though it…but the issue are those three lines in your lambda code.

I don’t think I can because I am not a level 2 correct? I can’t seem to figure out how to pm you