[NO LONGER SUPPORTED] Ask Alexa

Yep…Exactly what I have in my home…Except you can actually shorten the phrase and say “Alexa, tell SmartThings Bedtime”. In my home it is even more natural “Alexa, Tell SmartThings GoodNight” Where “Goodnight” is the macro name.

just tested it, worked like a charm way before bedtime haha!! awesome

Excellent…good to hear! Enjoy!

I think I am missing something here. Do you mean to say: go to Ask Alexa Extensions >> Macros>>Create A New Macro>>Macro Type>>WebCoRE Trigger (Run/Execute) ? Because thats all I am seeing. Unless I am in the wrong area of the app.
I created a Do Piston in WebCoRE ( like I had done in the past with the original CoRE ) but in the Ask Alexa app where is says “Choose WebCoRE Piston” below that is says “You can’t currently add this”. I remember it being a bit tricky. So how exactly do I add a WebCoRE “Do Piston” as an Ask Alexa Macro?

That is the correct area. You need to first open Ask Alexa. You must have the current version. You then open WebCore, ensuring you can see the Pistons. Then go back to Ask Alexa and the Pistons should show up from then on out…let me know if this works for you.

I have your latest versions. 2.2.7a
I still can’t get it to see it. The problem may be that I still have an old Macro I originally made using CoRE. I just can’t edit or delete it. It gives me the “somethings wrong we can’t load your screen right now” error.
I have a feeling I may need to reinstall Ask Alexa app but I think I am going to sleep on it first. I am still new to WebCoRE and knowing me, it’s probably user error.
I did toggle from Ask Alexa app to Web CoRE with no success.

I had a similar error message. Was related to an existing macro linked to a webcore piston. I changed the webcore piston name after linking to Ask Alexa and then got the error when i tried to open the macro in Ask Alexa. Can you add a new macro and select the webcore piston?

if you are adding macros after you have already installed AskAlexa, I believe you will need to update the AlexaSkills kit parameters to make sure it understands the latest macros you added.

Specifically you will need to update the Custom Slot Types, LIST_OF_MACROS, LIST_OF_SHPARAM

Sorry…yes…any additions to the app will require you to update your developer slots on Amazon. Please note that the names will be the names of the MACROS you create…you do NOT need to include the names of the pistons (unless, of course, you name your macro the name of your piston). Either way, use the Settings>>Setup Variables page to populate the slots…I don’t recommend you do it manually.

The instructions for this particular item are here: http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Ask_Alexa#Custom_Slot_Information

Finally, Ask Alexa ONLY works with WebCoRE. I have removed legacy CoRE support from the app.

Thanks for your response, I can’t add any new Web CoRE macros. It just gives me the same message that I can’t currently add this. I’m wondering if I need to update the custom slot types first? Then try to add it to Ask Alexa? I thought I update those after. Once I get home and have some free time I will dive back into it… Thanks to all for your help

I think I should have removed my old CoRE macros before upgrading. I’m thinking they are undeletable due to CoRE being removed.

Macros on Ask Alexa can’t be deleted? Is there an error? Have you attempted to delete them via the IDE?

Its the old CoRe macros. I can’t edit them to remove them. When I go to edit one I get this

Ah. I fixed that in the next version. You will need to delete this particular macro via the IDE…if you are comfortable with editing code there is a snipit of code that fixes this…

Look around here: [RELEASE] Ask Alexa

Be sure you look above that one to the same person to ensure you get code 2.2.7b before updating: https://github.com/MichaelStruck/SmartThings/tree/master/Other-SmartApps/test

Thank you… I think I might just wait since you have fixed it in the next update.

Ok. If you are open to it I can give you the code for the next release…let me know and I will PM you.

Im open… absolutely… I can do it tonight once I get home. Thank you again.

Ok. I am at work as well…I will get the new files to you tonight.

1 Like

How do i delete this app? I just want to start fresh with everything.

Technically, if you open Ask Alexa and go down to “About Ask Alexa” the screen that opens should have a “Remove” button at the very bottom. This SHOULD delete EVERYTHING except your Lambda and Developer information. In reality, sometimes SmartThings is finicky, and the more detailed way of deleting it is to go through every extension/macro and remove them, then doing the process above.

However, even more technical, I have never see one instance of simply removing and installing fixing anything. Unlike Windows, there isn’t any ‘hidden area’ that deleting an app will fix. Unless this is an exercise in HOW to install it, I am not sure much is to be gained by doing this, especially if it is working for you…it won’t simply ‘work better’ by reinstalling it. Just my two cents…