[NO LONGER SUPPORTED] Ask Alexa

That did it. Thanks for the fast response.

1 Like

Excellent
sorry about that
I am not much for changing variables, and I know better for the future.

Enjoy!

I was able to resolve that issue. Now the issue is I get a response that
an action is performed, this is confirmed in the simulator and verbally by
Alexa, but nothing turns on. “Alexa ask smartthings to turn on the
staircase light.” response. “I am turning the staircase light on”.
Nothing happens in the real world.

Nevermind, it started working now. Hooray! You are a genius Sir.

Excellent
Thanks for the feedback and compliments. Enjoy the program
more fun stuff is coming. I usually give sneak previews here on Fridays

Hi @MichaelS, thank you for your amazing work. So AskAlexa stopped working a few days ago: when I say “Alexa, tell SmartThings good morning,” she responds with “Hmm, I don’t know that one,” or “Sorry, I’m not sure” (or some combination thereof). A Discover Devices request showed that all my routines were Disabled due to an unsupported device. No single device is in every routine, in fact some routines haven’t even been set up yet, so I’m not sure what could have changed. Note: to my recollection this started happening before the messaging update. Any ideas?

Joel,

Thanks for the kind words
really appreciate it!

I actually had the same issue the night before. Something happened (it appears) on the Amazon side where the skill showed re-eabled but was disabled. I basically disabled both the native skill and Ask Alexa, then re-enabled Ask Alexa and everything has been working great since.

To be clear, the ‘discover device’ is part of the native integration, NOT Ask Alexa. In speaking offline with @femwitjava she confirmed this piece is a SmartThings issue.

Just want to make sure we separate the two issues.

Let me know if you get Ask Alexa back working.

Which is the “native” skill in question (the one I should disable then re-enable)?

Sorry for not being clear
the ‘native’ skill is under the Alexa app under ‘Smart Home’ that is simply named “SmartThings” and is the app that allows for ‘discovery’ of devices. You don’t need an innovation word for this and simply activates via “Alexa, turn on lights”.

My app is the Ask Alexa skill (under skill). You use this with “Alexa, Ask SmartThings to turn on Livingroom”. This is the skill I thought you were referring to and stopped working for me the other night. I recommend you disable both of these skills, then enable and test each one separately.

Nope. no love. Also, I noticed that when I disabled ST, told Alexa to forget the devices that run the routines, then re-enabled ST skill and discovered devices, the devices still were still tagged “Offline.” I wonder if it might be the Kwikset lock and/or the DTH running it - Kwikset recently pushed an update through ST. Thing is, not all the routines include the lock, yet all the routines say they are disabled due to one or more incompatible devices. I’m completely flummoxed.

I have been getting the same responses from Alexa (“Hmm, I don’t know that one,” or “Sorry, I’m not sure”). She does it on some of the routines and voice macros. On the voice macro I use to trigger the goodbye routine, I unchecked the box and rechecked it and that seemed to fix the problem (temporarily?). Rechecking the boxes for the routines did not fix how she responds when told to run one.

This a known issue, I am currently working with ST on solutions.

Is this known issue an ST issue, an Alexa issue or an askAlexa issue?

Exclusively an ST issue , The AskAlexa APP is solid - there are NO issues with “AA”.

Ok that narrows it down. My ST has been running pretty much trouble free for a little while now so I guess it was due to act up.

1 Like

Same issue for me too

Same issue with mine.

Maybe we should all open tickets with ST to add a little pressure.

1 Like

My solution is to run Ask Alexa exclusively
but that is just me :slight_smile:

This is elevated - not in L1 - if you want your name/ handle associated to the issue I am happy to provide that info. to ST engineer - PM me your info. - DO NOT provide confidential information to me.

@MichaelS - if you want us off your thread let me know ! No hijacking intended :slight_smile:

1 Like