[NO LONGER SUPPORTED] Ask Alexa

Again, is this a fresh install or an upgrade? The screen shot you showed has the slot open. If this is a new install you have to put information in there and then close it. You can only do one slot at a time.

Does that help?

oh no. that’s the image from wiki. My was on top of that

Right
I edited my post as soon as I saw that
you do appear to be doing a fresh install
You have the first slot open
you need to fill it out per the Setup Variables, then save it, then go to the next one.

Paul,
Please type the name of the slot in the “Enter Type” box
 DEVICE_TYPE_LIST
Then in the “Enter Values” box copy and paste the appropriate information for that list.

Once you click on that box, the "ADD’ button will appear down below. click on the ADD button and then repeat the process until you have all of the slots built.

Then, add your intent file at the top and add the utterance file in the bottom box.

Then AND ONLY THEN click on the SAVE button.

What he said
 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great. Thank You both. I will try later and let you guys know.

1 Like

Perfect
as you can see this is a rather popular application and many folks have gone through the installation. So either I or someone else will be able to help out.

I look forward to hearing back and your thoughts!

Is there a way to adjust the color of lights by specifying the color temperature in Kelvins? Also, please consider adding the ability to adjust the color temperature of the standard white colors (soft white, warm white, daylight white and cool white).

This feature was added a couple versions ago. To be clear, actual RGB lights are ONLY controlled by hue/saturation (via a large color pallet of 150 color names), but the newly added Kelvin lights can be controlled by 4 color names: “Soft White”, “Warm White”, “Cool White” and “Daylight White”, setting the lights to 2700K, 3500K, 4500K and 6700K. Based on user feedback, this was a lot better than sending numbers to your white lights.

There is more information here: http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Ask_Alexa#Interface_Items

Good question, but sorry I didn’t make it more clear on the release a month ago.

Paul,

I had a look at the developer site and realized Amazon moved the add button. Not sure if that was the issue in your case, but thanks for motivating me to look. I have updated the documentation.

Let me know if you need help getting through the installation.

Is it possible to add to the Voice Marco Temperature section options to determine the current thermostat mode, setpoint, and/or operating state so that one can determine if the thermostat is on/off/heating/cooling/idle.

The problem is that since the one custom color is specified in Hue and Saturation, there is no way to actually tell AskAlexa that I actually want my undercabinet lights at 3000K to match other lights not controlled by Hue in the kitchen. 2700K is too warm, and 3500K is too cool.

I suppose this could be solved with an expansion of custom colors as well as the ability to specify color temperature instead of just Hue/Saturation.

The bigger problem I have is the inability to use most of the 150 colors via Alexa because of the H/S-to-xy translation errors in @infofiend custom DTH. If I switch back to the regular Hue device handler, most of the colors work, but then I lose the ability to access my Hue v1 scenes and groups. :frowning:

Ed,

So instead of the real time data from the thermostat? You want that part of the voice report? I am working on the voice reports this next week so that might be something I can add. Just want to make sure it is what you are looking for as I think that is a valid use case.

Have you approached the author of the custom DTH to fix the issue you are seeing? Is there a specific reason he went down the route of calculating the colors as he did?

Are we talking about white lights or actual colored lights. The ST recommended way to access colored lights in H/S/L and for white (Kelvin) lights it is indeed a color temperature. If you are looking to customize the temperature of white lights, I see a use case where there could be a configuration page where the user can customize the Soft white, daylight white colors to exactly the temperature they want. However, the whole program for colored lights is wrapped around H/S/L as that is the recommended way ST has for adjusting colored lights.

Let me know you use case. If we are talking white lights, I can certainly give you a tool to find tune the temperatures for each of the 4 settings.

@MichaelS,

Yes along with the voice report, but not necessarily instead of realtime data but maybe the option to have them together. For example, my thermostat setpoint is set to 74 which Alexa will tell me in the report. However, the thermostat is actually turned off (thermostatSetpoint, thermostatMode, thermostatOperatingState) at the moment from the thermostat itself.

Thus I was thinking that reporting the setpoint along with the state (off/heating/cooling/idle) would be helpful. On nice days someone will turn off the thermostat thus when I run my good night report I get the setpoint, but I wake up and its freezing :snowflake: because the thermostat is off.

This is a good idea to add to the voice reports. I will add it to the road map and it will be in the next version or the version after.

So it could exist in an overall ‘home report’ where you are checking out the status of switches and dimmers, leaks, etc?

Thanks. And as always, I and many of us here really appreciate all of your hard work and time you have put into this.

1 Like

I appreciate that!

If you had to rank the attributes you would want to hear in a report. What would they be?

1. Setpoint
  2. State (either ThermostatSetPoint, thermostatMode, or thermostatOperatingState)
  3. Temperature (optional if someone needs indoor temperature)
  4. Humidity (optional if someone needs indoor humidity)

So in my example, Alexa would say something like, the [device name] is set to 74 degrees and off. The current indoor temperature is 73 degrees with a humidity of 43%.

Ok
got it
thanks!