[NO LONGER SUPPORTED] Ask Alexa

I have tried installing and setting up Ask Alexa twice. After the first try did not work, I cleared everything and went through the process again from the beginning. Both times, it seems as though the installation worked. I can see the Ask Alexa app on my devices and I can configure it through the SmartThings SmartApp. However, when I say “Alexa, ask my home to turn on under cabinet lights”, Alexa responds with “I am having some problems finding the device you specified.” I can turn the under cabinet lights on and off and set the dimming level directly through Alexa by saying “Alexa, turn off under cabinet lights”, but I am wanting to use Ask Alexa to be able to change the color through Alexa as well.

Sounds like you are almost there. 2 things you should look at:

First, are you 100% sure you have set up the invocation name properly…If you simply say “Alexa, ask my home”…you should get a little paragraph about the app. If that doesn’t work are you sure the skill is called “my home” and not just “home”?

Second, did you do the piece where you put the names of the devices into the Amazon developer site? If you haven’t, that is a required step and will keep the app from recoginlzing the names of the devices.

Let me know if that helps.

Darn he’s already farther then me. I’ve removed every devise that’s not stock. I was able to remove all my other 3rd party apps via disabling there configuration and removing from the app then removing from ide. I’m now left with core and ask alexa which I cannot delete, for the same reason,

but smarthings support can. Even though they deleted it once I reinstalled correctly and it seems like I can configure the app but at no time have I ever been able to go into settings or about ask alexa. It’s like have the app, all visual but no functional. Dealing with support now to see why this is happening

With the installed base as it is, I am rather sure it is not my app…There has to be something in your account that is not set up correctly. Have you asked support WHY it keeps doing this? They may have to escalate to engineering, but in the 2 years I have been doing this I have not see what you are seeing, so it SEEMS to be unique to your account.

The good thing is that the background of all of the apps is a huge database…worst case is that they wipe out your account and rebuild it. Not sure if it means your devices disappear, but at minimum they should be able to tell you WHY it is behaving like this.

That being said, are you following the instructions TO THE LETTER for installing Ask Alexa? I get the impression you are getting half way through and never get this working and then killing the whole thing, which is also not needed…it appears the app is working but it isn’t clear if you have the OAuth enabled or have the Amazon stuff in there.

Either way, I am here to help once you work out the issues with SmartThings.

Hope that helps.

LOL victory. This was me not reading all directions, there’s a lot and I’m a guy I can totally figure this out…lol OK so it was the oath token thing I had to allow. Just read all directions and with the limited time I have right now it seems to be working or at least it’s do more now then before because of that important step. Now later I’m going to configure all these new features but I’m still concerned why I’m unable to delete both core or ask alexa but like you said I think that’s on my end not your app. Anyways thank you for holding my hand through this. I’ll be sure to read ALL directions next time. I’m exited to see what this is going to do for me. I like the color changing dim features. I’m sure I’ll be busy for a couple weekends now. Ahh now I can get some sleep…Michael if you run into my wife RUN¡¡¡¡¡ she thinks I’m obsessed with home automation and I might be cheating on a girl named “ask alexa” cause that’s all I talk about lol. If I find out more about my issues with ST I’ll attach it to the un install thread.

I am so glad you got this working…I plan on releasing an update on Monday, and unfortunately, it will require to you overwrite ALL of your code. However, that is rather easy compared to starting from scratch. I have updated the instructions and the Setup Variable links will give you the proper items to update in the developer area.

I knew you could do it!

1 Like

Michael, thank you for your help. I have been able to get Ask Alexa to work for the main account on my Echo but it will not work when I switch accounts. Alexa tells me "Sorry. I can not find a device called ‘My home under cabinet lights’ in Mike’s account.

When you say ‘switch accounts’…are you referring to SmartThings account or Amazon accounts. Either way will require you to duplicate some of this functionality into the other account.

Let me know which you are referring to and I can help as I have had both situations myself.

I am switching between Amazon accounts.

In that case you need to have the skill (and a developer account) that matches each Amazon account you have.

Version 2.2.1 has been released-[Deprecated] Ask Alexa 2.2.1

It requires overwriting most aspects of your code, but if done correctly, you won’t lose any of your settings. Enjoy!

Thank you for the new rls and enhancements.

I am getting an error in the utterances in the Amazon Developer portion of install.
My error, or something else
? SS:

Did you add the new slot (List of followups) as required by the new version? Go to Settings>>Setup Variables and run though the slot setup again.

MY ERROR ! ! ! I did not do the steps in sequence - all is well. Thank you !

How do I set it up so that a pin is required when unlocking the door or opening the garage door but locking/closing no pin required ?

The PIN is on a device basis…you either have it on for all commands for a device or off for all devices…You can also turn off specific commands on a device basis, but the combination you are envisioning is not available currently.

Okay thanks I just tried the option to turn off specific commands this should work for now :). Next will be trying to use the multiroom setup

Ok…the instructions are rather raw right now, but I got this working in my house…Let me know your experience and areas of the documentation that could use improvement.

Sounds good I wil give you my feedback

I’m almost there Michael but here’s where I’m at. Every account is the same and all my previous issues are resolved. When I pull down the drop down box in create lambda code it does not show me the alexa skill.

Here’s what mine looks like. I’m at the same area but no skill option