[NO LONGER SUPPORTED] Ask Alexa

Yes, in the console.aws.amazon

Was it working and suddenly didnā€™t work, or is this an initial setup?

This is my initial setup.

Device names include: bedroom light, living room light, family room light, utility door, hot water sensorā€¦

Would it help to provide the entire log output from the error? This is all new to me so Iā€™m learning as I go.

Nahā€¦The issue looks like the copy/paste with the Lambda codeā€¦I would ensure that is copied correctlyā€¦also, WHEN are you getting the error? When you attempt to talk to it or just running a test in the simulator?

Michael is correct - y 2 cents - I have found most often forgotten or not understood is around line 38 in the AWS lambda code - make sure you put YOUR specific account information into those lines that require it.

2 Likes

Nope they are standard named items no spaces or all caps, just proper case. As part of my testing I created a virtual coop boss that supported both the door control capabilities and the door lock capability. When I told the voice macro to report on the door lock vs the door control it worked fine. When I switched it back to use door control it spelled it out again. That is when I decided to take a quick look at the code and see if something jumped out. So I donā€™t think it has anything to do with the name of the devices (North Coop and South Coop) but more to do with not firing the logic just before line number 2136. Once I made the change it has worked every time. Its just that my change will not allow contacts to be reported on as that was the logic just before 2136 that usually always gets fired as most garage doors have contact sensors. It almost seems like the logic just before 2136 was setting the var type correctly. But since it didnā€™t fire the var type is still set to an empty string ā€œā€ and that for some reason isnā€™t getting set when you try to copy an empty string plus itself and another array of strings? Hey I will be the first to admit Iā€™m not a Groovy guy so I could be so off base here! I can take another look at it but thought since it is kind of unique Iā€™m good with how things are. Just a note: in getting the screen shot for you I removed the change published the app and it went back to spelling out the names again. Then I put the change back in and she said the names just fine. Take a look at the screen shot you can see a difference in the log with the change in (Line that starts with the time of 10:00:47) and not changed (Line that starts with the time of 9:58:16).

Running the test. I went back and recopied and pasted the code but am getting the same results.

Yep stumbled here as well. I was clicking on the wrong place in the SmartApp and it wasnā€™t showing me the configuration web site. I found that correct place much later after I manually set the vars.

I put my own information in. I took out the lines in italics that say ā€œ// paste app codeā€¦ā€. Would that matter?

You may want to share a screen shot of the device name in the IDE itself. While it may show properly on your mobile device, the label is different than the name and may cause this to happen.

I am not sure what you mean by ā€œI put my own information inā€ā€¦can you share a screen shot of what your screen looks like (blurring the actual codes). It sounds like you are doing it right but want to make sure.

Also, some copy/paste functions put invisible characters into the mixā€¦I recommend copying from git hub (the RAW code)ā€¦then pasting to a notepad, then copying that and THEN pasting to Lambdaā€¦that should get rid of any stray characters.

Guys sorry to ask a dumb question, but I am already using Alexa and Smart things in many ways via the standard interface, and am just about to head down the path with Ask Alexa. I just installed the Linear Zwave garage door yesterday, but want to be real careful with integration using proximity sensing and also Alexa. There is nothing of real value in my garage anyway and we have a security system so not too worried about a glitch. I am using the custom device handler for the Garage. With Ask Alexa, can I choose to only expose the close command, without exposing the open command? This is how Alexa integration is handled with Alarm.com as well for the security system through their skill. I want Alexa to tell me status of the door and warn me if left open more than x minutes via another smart app or Core via Ask Alexa, but also want to be able to expose just the close command. The linear opener is UL listed and already gives a 5 second audible and flashing light warning as well as recognizes the photo eye protection of the normal opener.

There is a default one that SmartThings uses when it finds the device. Which DTH are you using and what are the advantages to this DTH? This is the opener I have and it works well with Ask Alexa. However, to answer your question, open and close are just generic commands, so you canā€™t ā€˜blockā€™ open from being used. That is actually a good feature requestā€¦as a manual method, you COULD remove the OPEN command from the Amazon slots that are created. Unfortunatly, that would take away ALL open commands from other devices you might not want to limit. I will give some thought on how to do this programmatically.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I was worried about as everything else I have done with virtual switches can be both turned on and off or opened and closed.

I am using this handler

It seemed to be the one most were using, especially if they wanted to add the ridulously automated garage door smart app, which I have not added yet. I want to add presence detection, but the ST built in PD is too flakey. Shows my wife home, when she is at 30,000ft right now in a plane. Looking at the logs she has been home since September 2016. Most likely app update kicked her out of ST and she never logged back in. Thinking about Life 360 or, iBeacon solution added to mailbox for presence detection. Although some of these things sound trivial, it is the sum of the little cool things that makes the home truly feel automated.

Getting back to Alexa part, I find the alarm.com arm stay integration very useful, especially when we get in bed and forget to arm alarm system. Closing the garage door via voice, but mostly inquiring on status would both be useful.

Thanks! I am putting the open/close options as a feature request as I think that is a good idea!

1 Like

MIchael, Hoping you can help me. I have been using ask alexa for over a month, this is an awesome app. I have my garage door setup as well and am using RBoyā€™s DTH and was working perfect with Ask Alexa up until 2 days ago. Here is what is happening. I will say, ā€œAlexa, ask smartthings to open the Garage Door, 1234 and up until 2 days ago it worked pefect, she would open and close the garage door. Now, when I ask her the same thing shes says, Jason, I cannot find the device you are speaking about, would you like to try again?ā€ I say, ā€œ1234 open the garage door,ā€ and the Door opens. So closing works with pin code ever time, but now when I open I have to wait for her to say she cannot find the device and then ask again. Works on the 2nd try every time. Also, some times I ask to open or close and nothing happens, ask again and she does it. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

I have an Amazon Gen 2 Dot & having the same problems occasionally. Ask Alexa ture on light response can not find repet & it works. Also I have seen that if the TV is on to loud sometimes that confuses the Dot. My thoughts is the Gen 2 Dot does not have the same quality microphones as the Echo & Gen 1 Dot.
Mike

Thanks for the comments! Sounds like some delays are happening getting through the whole process of going from Amazon, to SmartThings, and backā€¦Have you extended the timeout of the Lamda response? It might be as easy as thatā€¦this is outlined in the troubleshooting area of the manualā€¦

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Ask_Alexa#Troubleshooting