[NO LONGER SUPPORTED] Ask Alexa

Happy Friday!

A few interesting items for this week. Ironically, when I was searching last week for the link to the new GE capacitive switches, I came across these:

And

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07226MG2T/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

While not yet 100% compatible with native SmartThings (the motion sensor part integrated with the switch) I was able to find a custom DTH for them. In speaking to the author (who has since moved on to another home automation platform), I will be taking ownership of the DTHs going forward. I have already made some changes to the interface and have optimized the code a bit for my own style.

I really like these devices; while a custom DTH can never run locally in programs like Smart Lighting, because of the design of these switches, you get local performance from the motion sensor affecting the light. While this is an optional configuration within the switch (and something that can be changed via the DTH), it works well for my environment and actually replaced a couple of my webCore pistons. Less complexity is ALWAYS better. And, because of the configuration, even if the hub or cloud is down, the lights still come on when I enter a room.

I am also adding the status and configuration for these switches to Ask Alexa, allowing you to get and change the switch mode status (manual, occupancy, vacant). Overall, a rather neat device!

I should have all of my testing for the new DTH done by the end of July, and as is typical with me, I will ensure it is fully documented before I release it.

Enjoy the fireworks next week for those in the US.

2 Likes