[NO LONGER SUPPORTED] Ask Alexa

Here is another Friday update. Not much has been going on in the world of Amazon. Everyday I love my Show just a little bit more. I actually added pictures to the background to personalize it a bit more, so it is now part of the family. Still waiting on push, but this week I focused on the little things in Ask Alexa to make the experience better.

For those that are watching, the documentation has been slowly updating along with the app. Again, 30+ pages are not easy to get through, but with the number of people (even novices) that go through this with NO help from the forums and just using the documentation is fantastic, so I have to balance quality and quantity.

Eagle eyed viewers of the documentation will also notice I am adding a new device into Ask Alexa’s repertuar: The Foobot Air Quality monitor. This little device will check your air quality and using functions like WebCoRE, you can do fancy stuff like scheduled home ventilation and such. A big thanks to @Matthew_Freestone for letting me use his device API to design and test this. The integration was spotty with SmartThings, so I also modified the DTH to better work with Ask Alexa and with SmartThings in general. I also feel I need one of these devices now in my household. Matt outlined his experience here: Automating Home Air Quality

With this new addition, I renamed some of the main menu items in Ask Alexa to better categorize the devices that can be used. Switches/Dimmers/Colored lights are now “Lights/Switches). Thermostats/Temperature/Humidity are now simple “Environmentals”. Again, this will help the novice users get up and running without feeling they are day one of flight school :slight_smile:

The update should be out next Friday.

Enjoy

2 Likes