[NO LONGER SUPPORTED] Ask Alexa

This is nor implemented yet…Friday…sorry…unlike most engineers I actually complete the documentation before releasing the product :slight_smile:

But to be clear, the app is working for you besides that, or not?

1 Like

Yes the app works perfectly for me. The logic is extremely well-planned and stable. The documentation is equally as impressive. Thanks to you and anyone assisting you on this project and to the community as a whole.

I’ll wait patiently for the alias feature!

I guess I am just impressed you read the document and the recent addition was first on your mind!

The new alias feature should be out this week!

Naming convention seems to be my biggest challenge with ST and how it relates to Alexa. Pre-Alexa I just wanted Things to sort well in the ST app. Now the sorting and what Alexa hears is causing me to rethink things. I think the alias feature will be the answer. I’ll be all over it when released.

About that… I followed the advanced method under Ask Alexa code installation. Will I need to manually update the AA code only in the ST IDE or in the Amazon developer site as well?

This is probably indisputably obvious, but I am not a software developer. Just a curious architect that designs and builds buildings.

Thanks for all of your attention @MichaelS!

You will see the color of the IDE item for Ask Alexa change if you integrated your site with GitHub properly. If not, you will simply copy/paste the code in…nothing else will change, but it is always a good idea after you configure your app to ensure the developers slots are properly populated (aliases will create new device names, of course).

I have updated the Ask Alexa app to 2.1.14.

1 Like

Will be updating as soon as I get these drawings out!

@MichaelS, how can I help you? Post on here? PM you? Don’t worry about it?

I’m probably just limited to feedback considering time and skill limitations.

Not sure what you mean…I can always use help with suggestions for both the app and documentation. I base everything off my own use cases so it is always interesting to see how others use (or would like to use) the app.

I appreciate the positive support no matter what!

Typo… how can I help with development.

Pretty much same response…unless you are a coder (which would always be appreciated to bounce questions off of), the main focus of this app going forward is to ensure that the needs of the users are met. If there is something that has a great use case and the app doesn’t do it yet, we need to fully flesh out how it would work and then code it. Otherwise, I can always use “super users” out there that can speak for the app when I can’t…Contrary to what people believe, I don’t sit at my computer 24/7 and so I need people who really use app to help those that have difficulty getting it installed and operational.

My neighbor has a fancy coder job and works in Boulder, CO… I’ll get him in the fold soon I think. He’s jealy that I can turn my TV on just by yelling. He actually wrote an app one evening while imbibing on my back porch in ST IDE called spooky that turned our outside lights on and off randomly… tis the season.

Anyway, I’m not a coder… just a wannabe. I’m here for you friend if you need me and will chime in if I think I can help.

1 Like

The Aliases feature on this version works perfectly. It provides a natural language and flow in commands AND Audio feedback, while allowing you to maintain your naming convention in ST. When you assign an alias to a device, this transcends into ALL output for that device, so any voice macro reporting that includes that device, commanding the device individually, or “status” inquiries. This is an ingenious upgrade allowing a very natural voice exchange with your Alexa. KUDOS Michael! You did it again ~ thank you X 1million

1 Like

The only time Alexa reveals the original name is during an Events playback…The alias will report something like the “The following is the last event for < Alias Name >: at 6:00pm the event was < real name> reported event”.

I am open to making the alias name optional…in other words, even though YOU reference the name as XXXX, it could playback the original name anyway:

Me: Alexa, tell SmartThings to turn on XXXX
Alexa: I am turning on YYYY

My original thought is that would be confusing…Either way, glad you like this new feature.

Now the question comes naturally: can you group devices under a single alias? i.e. all different dining room lights (I have three in that room) under “dining lights”?

1 Like

That already exists…it is a device macro group…you can’'t query it for status (as it is a group of items), but you can do basic controls of all items in the groups (i.e. switches, colored lights, thermostats, etc).

2 Likes

I saw a Google Home video today…looks like you say something like “Hey Google, I’m listening” to pick up your messages. It doesn’t blurt things out when you aren’t expecting it.

Hi guys, new user here.

I followed all the (excellent) installation guides, and i can get the app to work in the simulator on AWS but my real echo doesn’t understand the requests. I have enabled the skill in my alexa app. Not sure where to go next with trouble shooting.

I’m a UK user if that makes any difference. Should I have installed the lambda code in a european data centre?

Thanks,

Jon

Which language are you using?
I’ve been using AskAlexa Skill in the UK for awhile with no issues. Now the Amazon Alexa app is available in UK I downloaded it this morning and changed the language to British and AskAlexa stopped working so I changed back to US language and AskAlexa works fine again.
Of course it may all change on Wednesday when UK Echo is officially launched but for the moment it seems you need to be using the US language.

perfect - you can’t beat the SmartThings community!

Yep, a flip back to US English and it works a charm!

Thank you so much.

That is interesting to know…but I am anxious to hear how Wednesday goes and if the app works as well in “UK Mode”