[NO LONGER SUPPORTED] Ask Alexa

Are you using a Phillips hue bridge as well as your ST hub? Or wemo devices?

This is from the main integration and not related to Ask Alexa or Alexa Helper.

Ok I’ve spent the last hour speed reading this thread in hopes that I’m not asking a redundant question…

Is it possible to use the Echo as the speaker its self. I want to run a macro where I say “Alexa, tell home Good Morning” and she starts playing my favorite Playlist from Spotify (among other things)… I’ve tried using IFTTT to come up with this but unfortunately IFTTT wont play music, only save track names to playlists.

Aside from that, I’m ecstatic to be using this SmartApp. I’m truly impressed, thank you @MichaelS

Thanks for the comments… unfortunately Ask Alexa can’t do what you are asking. As far as I can tell, Ask apps can only be self contained and not access the core services of the Alexa like music or timers. When or if that is released I will be the first to utilize it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I Look forward to that day

You should give the askAlexa smart app a try…

Do a search for askAlexa

I been reading a little and trying to figure it out. I have added it as an app. Just got to figure the using it part. I love my Alexia.

Follow the threads on it. It really brings Alexa to a whole new level.

I love that I can say, Alexa, ask hone to tell the boys it is dinner time.

And it is announced on their speakers!

trying now. But amazon is having sign in issues and I can’t establish the two accounts for it on amazon.

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: What do you use IFTTT for with SmartThings? (Examples and Ideas) :sunglasses:

I am stuck adding it into amazon. Specifically the slots in step 3 I believe.

click on Add slot and the title will be each of your items with the description below. For example.

Title would be LIST_OF_OPERATORS

the items would be your list

on
off
lock
unlock
open
closed

This process would need to be repeated for each one of your items.

Are you using dots in other rooms? Does it respond to all other speakers or just ones you have in their rooms? What routine or how are you getting it to speak that specific message? Please remember, I’m a noob. A lot of technobabble will be lost on me. :slight_smile:

I’ve installed this and double and triple checked everything and tried to use it last night and got the response “There was an error with the requested skills response”. I’ve double checked the timeout and changed it to 10 sec but that didn’t seem to matter.

I looked in the Alexa app and see an error of: "The target Lambda application returned a failure response.

Any thoughts? I will go thru the setup again to make sure I haven’t overlooked anything.

are the items the same for each that is what part I was confused on was items to add to the list of the titles.

Each category has its own items. You get them from the webpage you generated within the ST IDE. Open the IDE and go to logging. Then from your mobile device, go into the Ask Alexa smartapp/settings and "setup variables(for amazon developers). This will generate the link you need with the IDE log.

Copy and paste that link into a new tab and you will generate your list of Slot categories and items that you need to create.
This is just a sample of mine.

Thank you. I am getting there slowly.

This community is great, and allows a developer like me to not have to monitor the forum 24/7 as other folks here know almost as much about the app as I do :slight_smile:

Let me know if you still run into issues.

Did you get this working. Off the top of my head could you have miss the ARN piece of the setup (this is the Amazon Resource Number that allows the Developer site to get to the Lambda code).

I’ve got connected speakers in the other rooms.

What I’ve dinner is set up a piston in cite that uses an Alexa macro as the trigger. When that piston fires it turns in and if some lights and it sends a text to speech message to the speaker. I’ve only set about 9 messages at this time, but in the end there will be well over 100.

I plan to have messages specific to each family member and then have them specific for different rooms.

I’m working on creating text to speech on the fly that can choose which speaker to play based on key words in the text.

Thanks for the idea.

1 Like