[RELEASE] Ask Alexa

Mmichaelahess … Well you can always plug each Dot into a smart switch module or outlet and command Alexa on the other one to shut down the power to the first dot. :wink: (you could even have it turn it back on, I don’t think it would resume playing).

1 Like

Yep and works. Now to figure out how to have her announce the alarm is armed when a door opens :slight_smile:

Without a voice command? You can query her but she will never respond to external triggers outside of voice.

Hmmm, I am determined to prove you wrong!!! :slight_smile: With or without CoRE…

2 Likes

Let me know if you can make that happen (and don’t hack it like @N8XD :))

2 Likes

Maybe you could do something like this outside of Ask Alexa and use a different smartapp like LANnouncer, BigTalker?

1 Like

Awwwwwh! Mine isn’t hacked. I just use VLC Thing to trick alexa into saying and doing stuff!
Ok…well, maybe it’s hacked. :wink:

I actually do something like that dalec, I put headphones on the Dot’s and and have external microphones plus a VLC thing (connected through a mixer) that talks through the headphones to get Alexa to do stuff or say stuff through the house and backyard speakers.

1 Like

I have an iPhone and no android devices in the house. I hate the idea of buying more stuff to make things work.

1 Like

Yeah but then once this beast becomes self aware, Alexa will try to setup a Last Destination scenario when I tell her to kill one of her children…

2 Likes

Well if you ask Alexa if she’s part of Skynet, she tells you not to worry… I trust her.

1 Like

Yeah, yeah, definitely, nothing bad could ever happen, right? RIGHT?

2 Likes

I hear your pain about not having an app for your platform… Geez, even when there is an app, I have a Windows Phone and I am feeling the pain right here in ST across the huge differences of iOS, Android ST mobile app to Windows Phone. :unamused:

Hey I like this! I am switching SmartThings to Skynet as my new invocation name!
"Alexa, tell Skynet to . . . " I’m going to be a big hit with my Terminator buddies. :grinning:

3 Likes

Nice…That will definitely give you the illusion of being in control.

2 Likes

Feedback Request - So I have 5 ceiling fans that I would like to control through Alexa. Previously I had this set-up with 3 virtual momentary button tiles (Den Fan Low, Den Fan Medium & Den Fan High) that I would trigger from Alexa and then have RM set the level appropriately. I could do something similar with 3 voice macros and then have CoRE set the level appropriately. But this can get a little crazy with having 15 voice macros just for my fans. And what I would really like to be able to do is say something like this:

Alexa, tell SmartThings to set Den Fan to Low

I’m wondering what others may have done. Thanks in advance for the ideas and information.

I included my ceiling fan in the dimmers section:

And then in the setting section, I set the low, medium, and high level for dimmers:

Now, I just say:

Alexa, tell home to set the ceiling fan to medium.

It works great. No macros needed! You only need a macro if you want to control a group of devices

2 Likes

I knew there had to be a better approach, thanks Jason!

1 Like

Is it possible to set fan speed based on temp readings for your situation? I have all my fans on one speed, medium, they turn on if there is motion and temp is over 75. We never need high speed so it works great. But I don’t see why multiple levels couldn’t be done based on temp. I prefer automation over even telling Alexa what to do.

I think you’d be better off using CoRE.

CoRE is all about automation.
AskAlexa is all about having control of the automation

1 Like

It’s funny that you ask this question because I just built a piston that does this exact thing. If any of the temp readings in the house raises about 75 switch the fans to medium. My away piston turns them all to low when we leave. The main reason I want the Alexa stuff is to improve the WAF and to get her using Alexa.

1 Like

Perfect! My WAF goes lower the more I use Alexa. She only likes it for music and the shopping list. :slight_smile: