[OBSOLETE] Ask Alexa 2.3.9 (2018)

Did you do the piece where you added your devices to Ask Alexa and then copy the JSON file to the developer area?

Thanks for your reply. I added only few devices initially and copied the Json file. After that I added most of the devices/switche/lights to AskAlexa. Should I need to copy the JSON file again ? If so, if I added any switch/light to AskAlexa, I need to upload the new JSON file ?

I uploaded the JSON file again and it is working now. Thanks for your help. So if I add a new light or switch to AskAlexa or smarthings, I need to upload the JSON file. I will remember this. Thanks Michael.

1 Like

Yes. The list dosen’t update on its own currently so each change will need and updated upload. Fortunately, one you stablize your configure you will rarely change it. I haven’t updated mine in months!

Thanks Michael. I already love AskAlexa, very handy and helpful on few automation where direct smarthings is not.
Wondering are you planning to add “NotifyMe” into AskAlexa again ? I do not see it in the current version.

2 Likes

I am planning on implementing this soon. I MAY be able to put out a special version that implements this in the next few weeks
let me look into that.

hi Santo,
where can i find JSON file to upload please provide me link for that
Please and thanks

where can i find JSON file to upload please provide me link for that
Please and thanks

The app produces the link to the JSON as it is individual for each setup. I recommend starting here:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Ask_Alexa#Developer_and_Lambda_Code_Installation

Thanks Michael for helping me out so i got the JSON CODE now but when i am testing the Skill giving me error “The version of the Lambda code you are using is incorrect. Please install the latest code and try again.”
please let me know if you have any idea for fixing this issue.

thanks in advance.

I actually preemptively uploaded the new Lambda for folks to try out, but didn’t change the Ask Alexa code. If you want to edit the file itself, go to your IDE, go to the Ask Alexa code, and change the number from 131 to 132 in the code. Save and publish and let me know if that works
I can then fix it for everyone else.

Thanks Michael and yes that fixed the issues please update for everyone else too.

Will do! I will get a note out tonight and get the code changed ASAP.

EDIT
I just updated the code so any new users will not get that error. For current users that are running just fine no update is needed if you saw that in your IDE. In fact, if you update your IDE you will then need to update your Lambda code. This is NOT the major update to allow you to change voices
this is just the precursor to that.

Michael, can you add me to the slack channel?

Happy Holidays and thanks for creating such a great app for SmartThings.

I installed a Fortrezz Water valve for my house and can’t add it to Ask Alexa because the Device Handler for the valve doesn’t have the “switch” capability; it only has “valve” and “actuator”. Are there any plans to add support for valves to Ask Alexa? Thanks in advance and sorry if my question has already been covered.

Is the DTH community developed? If so you could easily add the switch capability.

Let me get with you privately to figure out a way to do this with an update.

Micheal,

It’s part of the SmartThings “built in stuff”.

Updating the Device Handler was my first thought and I’m confident I know how to do that but when I upload the code from smartthings to make my own copy it stops me saying “Org.springframework.security.access.AccessDeniedException: Run Locally Permission not allowed for DeviceType: 3a31f509-699f-4ab8-a06a-a3441b4d66f5”. I’ve never run into before so I reached out.

Here is the code.

https://github.com/SmartThingsCommunity/SmartThingsPublic/blob/master/devicetypes/smartthings/fortrezz-water-valve.src/fortrezz-water-valve.groovy

Thanks again,

Paul

Good to know
will reach out to you in PM probably after the holidays to get testing of something.

1 Like

I figured it out - installed a custom Device Handler and then manually pointed my Device to it in the IDE. Thanks for offering to help and hope you had a nice holiday.

1 Like

Gaaaaaaah!!! I’m going mad. I’ve followed all the update steps and I’m running the latest versions:

But when I ask Smart Things (my invocation word) to open the garage door, I get nothing

Does anyone have any clues? Here’s whats in the IDE log: