[OBSOLETE] ArloPilot - Enhanced Arlo System Integration

@SteveWhite, @hbr Thanks for the clarification. I have not installed ArloPilot yet, but managed to get the current setup working. I am still unsure why we even need the custom monitoring rules in Smartthings. I have updated the smarthings mode in Arlo to record 30s clips on motion. I have setup my routines in smartthings and webCoRE to turn on the cameras as per my requirement. This seems to work in my tests till now. I have initially setup the custom shm rules, but removed them now.

I have had some problems with the smartthings mode in Arlo but read somewhere that this is a known issue and I created another mode with the settings I need and all seems to work now as expected. Once I get this correctly working, I will try to customise further using ArloPilot.

1 Like

@sapstar
I use Custom Rules for several reasons. Firstly, as I said earlier, I want to differentiate the outside of my home from the inside as far as intrusion alarms. I only want notifications when something happens outside and Intrusion Alerts when something happens inside. Seondly, in the same vein, I have a tremendous problem with UPS, FexEx etc. drivers not knocking on my door or ringing my doorbell and I want to be alerted when the mail arrives. All o these things to prevent theft. Thirdly I use the temperature readings in my devices to let me know when the temperature gets too hot thus possibly indicating a fire, and when I get the alerts, I turn on the nearest camera/cameras.
Arlopilot should negate any delays inherent in the Smartthings/Arlo integration which I am excited to be able to do along with other features that are weak in the integration.

Brian

2 Likes

Sorry to gatecrash this thread, but I’ve been considering Arlo as a replacement to my Blink system since the Amazon merger made them drop Smartthings integration and I was wondering if ArloPilot makes Arlo behave well enough with Smartthings (namely work without lags) to be considered a worthy replacement for Blink? It certainly sounds good from reading through this thread.
Also, is ArloPilot compatible with the Pro 2?

• Dave

@SteveWhite
How do I update my Arlopilot Smartapp so that I have your latest changes?

Brian

In the arlo app custom modes you can get one camera to trigger another to record but the trigger isn’t able to record. Can i record with both using this app ?

Just wanted to give a big shout out to @SteveWhite . His smartapp is what the Smartthings Arlo Integration should have been from the get-go. Great job. Thanks for your hard work.!!!

@SteveWhite - is there a user manual for your smartapp somewhere? I think it is awesome, but I am getting confused., I think I setup two modes to have cameras on or off depending on the mode (Home, Away, Night) but it doesn’t actually trigger anything when the mode changes.

Where can I verify that I am doing it right, or can you provide some assistance?

Does not show up in automations have to keep connecting to arlo in the app , what am i doing wrong?

This is just great, Thank you.

I’ve copied the snapshot image urls made by ArloPilot to use as “media” tiles on an ActionTiles panel, which works well and is the closest thing we have (AFAIK) to integrating Arlo within actiontiles. But does anyone know if there’s a way now to get each camera to update its snapshot image every X minutes? or maybe I’m making a feature request here?..If there were a way mind you, how much impact on battery life might it have?

Do you mind sharing how you got the Camera snapshot URLs? So that I can do the same thing? Thanks.

1 Like

sure
 in the ArloPilot Smartapp click on “show discovered Arlo cameras” and then on each camera in turn to show its snapshot. I used the share button on my iPhone to copy/add the url link to the notes app.

2 Likes

So is this one URL used for all future snapshots, or is there new URL for every one? Thanks!

The same url is updating the image to show the most recent event. ie: every time the camera is triggered to record.

@SteveWhite feature request: regarding the push notification–would like the ability to only send it only during certain hours
? Thanks

Man - I am really having an issue understanding the setup. I can’t ever get the ST mode to Arlo mode configuration to work. I setup custom modes in the SA but then nothing works to actually trigger a change to the Arlo mode. I can turn the cameras on and off via routines and that works. But to change the Arlo mode to disarm when I arrive (routine that set ST to Home) or arm at night or when I am away (run via goodnight or away in ST) doesn’t work. Additionally, now I don’t even see the Smartthings custom mode any longer in Arlo
I did delete it but thought that running through the config again in the SA would reset it up. Which it didn’t.

I know this is super powerful, but my pea brain can’t wrap my head around how to make it work. Help!

1 Like

@SteveWhite - as a follow up question - I can’t anyway to connect the “Turn on” and “Turn off” switch between ST and Netgear. For example, when I am home, I want the cameras off, but when I trigger away or goodnight, I want to turn on the cameras and arm them for recording motion monitoring.

How do I do this? When I create the “custom” mode through the website, I am not given the opportunity to “turn on” the cameras. So how do I do that in order to run the custom mode in Arlo? Right now nothing works if I select that mode in the arlo app
if the cameras are off they don’t turn on.

Current example - I created a custom mode through the Arlo website, and named it “ST - Armed”. In this mode, I have both of my Arlo Pro 2 cameras trigger recording on either motion or audio. However, I only want this mode to be active if the ST mode is either “Away” or “Night”.

I have two routines in ST, one for “Cameras on” and one for “cameras off” that run at set times to ensure that the cameras are no longer tracking what is happening inside of the house, but if during the hours that the cameras are off, everyone leaves (thus triggering ST “Away” mode) I want the cameras to turn on and switch the arlo move to the custom mode created above “ST - Armed”. Then, once someone comes home, I want ST to turn the cameras back off again, and change the Arlo base station mode to “disarm”.

Is this even possible?

Thanks.

1 Like

@SteveWhite - as a follow up, am I supposed to leave the “Device” and “Mode” SmartApps as unpublished in IDE? That is in your instructions, but you never say to actually publish them
so if they aren’t published are the unable to be connected to Arlo?

I’ve done what you did in action tiles. However every few days–
It’s as if the link expires after a certain time and I get a grey tile where the snapshot should be. I have to go into arlopilot and copy the AmazonAWS link and re- enter it again in action tiles for it to show the snapshot again.

Bummer :frowning: I grabbed the URLs last night and added to new AT panel with all my cameras
 they’re already failing with access denied.

Did anybody find a way to keep these URLs fresh? So that they constantly display on action tiles?