[OBSOLETE] ArloPilot - Enhanced Arlo System Integration

Honestly I was thinking the same thing.

They may still do it again if they think folks are triggering to much through smartthings. After the loss of arlo pilot we have to resort to different methods to trigger the recordings. All of them as I see it would increase the load between smartthings and Arlo servers.

But as the post above says they know there is a problem on their side. It will be interesting to see if anything out of it impacts Smartthings

I am sure it will be blamed on the smartthings integration.

1 Like

@tweason
This morning I added the ability to define a time window to Arlo Assistant. So basically when you configure a Arlo Assistant mode it will only be active between the times specified. Will that work with what you were expecting from the Schedule functionality in the Arlo Cloud.

1 Like

@Smartthings @Brad_ST
Just FYI Guys. It appears that there is some kind of SSL Handshake problem going on with the Arlo cloud right now with partner integrators. As of around 3:50am est this morning i stopped getting recordings into my library due to the issue. I have added this to a ticket with Smartthings and am going to expand my thread on arloā€™s website there shortly. But this will prevent any recordings from being triggered.

This also impacts the Health check Smartapp as well. All of mine have be failing since that time as well.

Hello All,

Sorry for the silly question, but is this integration no longer working. Was excited to see this but noticed it looks like this integration is broken but canā€™t really tell for sure sifting through the various posts.

Would be really disappointing if it is, this is exactly the type of functionality I was hoping for.

Thanks,

Brent

Yup itā€™s done, mavrik working on arlo assistant tho

LOL, I just purchased 4 Arlo Ultras to replace my Nest cams since they are ending their ā€œworks with nestā€ integration. ArloPilot solved for everything I needed (automation and actiontiles). Should I hold onto these for a few weeks to see what comes of this? or return? If return, what suggestions are yall considering?

As of right now Arlo Assistant canā€™t help with the Arlo Ultra cameras. They donā€™t have integration with Smartthings. Arlo Assistant depends on the cameras being functional within Smartthings so it can communicate back to them through the Arlo Connect integration. It is questionable if it will ever happen as Arlo is getting there own HA platform ready now which is suppose to launch soon now. You get the required based with the new Arlo Ultra Cameras

My suggestion would be to take the cameras back and look at the Arlo Pro 2, and Arlo Q cameras if you really want Arlo. They integrate right now, and work with Arlo Assistant to manage them from Smartthings. They should be fairly close in Video quality to the nest cameras from a spec perspective. All of them crush the video and over compress, but i have never seen a direct comparison.

The thing with Arlo Pilot is that as far as working the way it did with Smartthings it will not happen. It is possible to make it work though, if you are willing to take on some of the reliance of keeping it up. Basically it requires about 3 lines of code to be changed, and a always on server provided by you to route all traffic through. Then it is on you to make sure that additional server is always up and ready to pass the work load through. Personally i like to keep it always up and running. You also take on the risk of Arlo blocking your host if it gets to chatty with the external tiles. The external tiles are likely what created the additional activity that got Arlo Pilot axed in the first place.

1 Like

That was very insightful. Thank you. I noticed smartthings just announced their new cameras today, might check those out. Itā€™s sad to see all these IoT companies closing their doors, as ā€œmix and matchā€ is the way to go.

Iā€™ve been having issues with ArloPilot for quite some time. Today I finally took the time to delete everything and reinstall. Iā€™ve gone through the delete / reinstall cycle three times. End result has been the sameā€¦ ArloPilot shows up in my SmartApps but when I click itā€¦ nothing.

Reading the last series of posts it appears ST may have disabled ArloPilot. Iā€™m not as tech savvy as many of the people posting, so I need to ask the simple and albeit dumb question very directlyā€¦

Does ArloPilot still work?

Thanks folks.

No it does not. Take a look at Arlo Assistant

Thanks Scott. Working on the install of Arlo Assistant now.

Simple answer - nope.

hate being late to a party, but I am trying to get this set up and need help. I did everything to a T and the app does show in my mobile app to install, but when i choose it to install i just get a circle ! that says ā€œsomethings wrongā€.

I do not see the installed app on the mobile app, but I do see it several times on the ide under installed SmartApps. Like it keeps installing it, but nothing happens.

Read up, this app is dead and there is a link to a new project

Since ArloPilot is more or less dead, I was hoping someone can help me with a pretty basic request. I have defined 3 modes in the Arlo App that does specific things to the cameras etc.

Now, all I want to do is to change the modes from smartthings based on certain criteria. For example, when I arrive home, change mode to ā€œHomeā€, when I leave home, change mode to ā€œawayā€ etc. Iā€™ve heard I can use IFTTT but I cant seem to change modes using this. Any suggestions?

This requires WebCore and IFTTT. Creating a maker event in IFTTT for the ArloArm and ArloDisarm and using Wecore to perform the action.

I use Arlo Assistant for turning my cameras on and off. When I arrive home it turns off my inside cameras and when I am away it turns them on. I also turn off my inside cameras on a specific day if the front door is opened. All of this I did through Arlo assistant. It does not do as much as Arlo Pilot but I was able to get it to work for what I need, You may want to give it a try.

The key with Arlo Assistant is that allows you to psuedo create the Arlo modes in Smartthings and then submits recordings to Arlo through the official integration methods. This means in the Arlo cloud you only use the Smartthings mode and it is set just to enable the cameras but nothing else.

I am trying to install this on either the new app or ST Classic. On the new app, I get a network error and on classic, I get Somethingā€™s Wrong - We canā€™t load your screen right now. Any ideas?

1 Like