[OBSOLETE] ArloPilot - Enhanced Arlo System Integration

My two cents… the “instability” excuse is non-sense. Instead of arlo becoming a top notch camera company they now want to be a third rate security company. They are coming out with a smart home security system with a built in smart home hub. Of course they are going to disable something like ArloPilot because they want their app and their smart home system to be the only one that can change modes. Think about it, why is changing modes not part of the official arlo integration? Because they new they were coming out with a hub and want their system to have more functionality than the ST integration. Their camera system still has the same issues that come up over and over for two years and they want people to trust their home security to them. LOL. I don’t think so. This is just one more reason to dump arlo. For now I’ve gone back to routines turning the inside cameras on/off laving outside cams on and the arlo mode in away all the time.

I am going to go ahead and work on a semi replacement for Arlo pilot using the Official Arlo integration. So keep an eye here for details on it. I will say now that it won’t be as robust as Arlopilot, but it will be something to help organize some rules around how it will work.

Features I am aiming for will be to allow you to create custom rule sets that will act based on alarm status changes (SHM and ADT). Custom triggers to turn cameras on and off. Custom notifications based on certain criteria(So arlo notifications would always be turned off). This will likely just be a container for things you can pretty much already configure with the rule engines that are already present.

6 Likes

@Mavrrick58 Awesome and thanks a lot.

@Mavrrick58. Please include the ability to change Arlo mode using a virtual switch. Much obliged :grinning:

1 Like

So, is there currently no way to arm/disarm Arlo with ST modes? I got rid of the ArloPilot app completely from my ST IDE. I setup 2 applets using IFTTT that would turn on/off a virtual switch based on ST modes.The switch was then supposed to arm/disarm my Arlo hub. The virtual switch is turning on/off as expected, but it’s not arming/disarming my Arlo hub.

I know a lot of you guys used many more features of ArloPilot than I did, but I’m only looking for a way to arm/disarm my Arlo hub based on ST modes.

Hi all… I am the author of this app. I want to sincerely apologize for the lack of attention this add-on has received. I left SmartThings a long time ago and devoted my full attention to Hubitat. Only when Iris announced their shutdown did I come back here to assist some of my friends with their transition.

I grew frustrated and disgusted with Samsungs piss-poor handling of support and being unresponsive to issues like daily hub crashes I had, so I left last November, moved to Hubitat, and have never looked back. I only regret that I didn’t do it sooner.

Again, I’m sorry for the lack of development on this app. however, just to clear the air… This was a complete d**k move by Samsung/Smarthings. As the author I was never, and I repeat NEVER contacted by any SmartThings staff, some of whom have my personal e-mail address. Had they done so I may, or may not have chosen to make the corrections, or would have at least ensured that everyone had sufficient notice. But this was just as surprising to me when I learned of it last night.

My theory in absence of any real facts, only observations, is that this flew under the radar until the recent issues with the (steaming pile of dung) official integration. I believe that Arlo took note of this app and squealed to SmartThings about it. I do not believe for a moment that this has anything to do with cloud resources.

This kind of unilateral, customer-adverse moves are a huge part of why I dumped SmartThings last fall. With HA in the cloud you are absolutely at the mercy of your corporate overlords. This is not an issue issue with Hubitat, it’s superior to SmartThings is many ways. You can use my HubConnect app as a fully bi-directional bridge between the platforms while you make the transition.

In the meantime, anyone who wants to play around with ArloPilot is free to do so. I may consider porting it to Hubitat in time, but for now do not have any time nor desire to work on this any further.

With that in mind, this post also serves as my official release of this source code into the public domain under the Apache 2.0 License. I probably should have done this sooner.

I am sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you all. Peace to you all, and see everyone on the Hubitat community!

13 Likes

It’s actually very easy to bypass Arlo’s blocking of requests coming from ArloPilot - you basically just need to make it appear as if the requests are NOT coming from the SmartThings cloud. If that’s not enough to get you going, PM me for technical details (keep in mind this workaround requires that you have admin access to a dedicated or cloud server that you can use to tunnel traffic from the SmartThings cloud to Arlo’s servers).

1 Like

Has any company ever been so hopelessly short-sighted? Arlo should have seen what their customers actually want and learned from it.

2 Likes

When Arlo went public, that’s when they started down the wrong path. Arlo’s investors told Arlo straight out, we will invest only if you move away from selling only hardware and start selling “services”. Investors believe the real money is in making you pay a monthly fee to use their service, not just buying hardware. So yes, I agree, that’s very short sided of arlo. The investors only care about money not the product. This is why arlo is now trying to be a security company and home automation company. They want you to pay them each month for these services. This is why they don’t want something like ArloPilot working with their system. If it did you wouldn’t need to sign on to their monthly pay services.

I will not be buying any more arlo products. I’ll keep what I have and move forward.

Thanks to Steve for the app, comments, and information.

1 Like

Thank you very much Mavrrick58 . ArloPilot was a lifesaver for my application, and am struggling now that it is broke!

1 Like

Has anyone considered that this could be part of Arlo closing any security gaps to ensure they are accepted by apple homekit?

Apple a quite particular about security and may not like the way ArloPilot authenticated…

Anyway - With the picture tiles - this is possible without logging in. Go to your cameras page on Arlo in a desktop browser, then open inspect element.
The full URL for the camera preview is stored in an AWS static URL. you can save this and run as a variable in other actions, or in your own custom tile.

5 Likes

Sorry pretty new to ST could you tell me or point me in the direction of a guide on how I would change from Steve’s fork to yours please? - nvm I managed to figure this out :slight_smile: Thanks for the update.

One thing I am trying to do that I had working with stringify is to automatically upload recordings to google drive. Do you know if this is possible with ST/ArloPilot?

You are welcome

The ability to control arlo modes in the Arlo Cloud with the official integration will not be possible from what I can tell. So the result will be to try to replicate it as much as possible in Smartthings.

Correct. The official integration never included that ability. I am thinking of the best way to manage the way the cameras work. Smartthings Modes is one of them, with alarm state in SHM or ADT. Let me know if you can think of any good identifiers to determine how the cameras should work.

@soaresbruno that is very true. I have managed to get around it now though not a way i would like. The option you suggested does’t really provide the ability to see the calls or what is actually happening. I want to be able to tell someone they are wrong when they come to me and complain about work load I am creating. For now this will just be for me to see what arlopilot does so i an try to match it.

I would be surprised if it was. This would potential take money away from Arlo as storage is part of their subscription service.

1 Like

I did this with netatmo and it stops working after like ten to twelve hours, hope this isn’t the same

Yeah looks like it doesn’t refresh just like netatmo when using the inspect method, now maybe someone knows more about this method but when I replied on actiontiles forum nobody replied, was an old thread but exact same idea with a different camera

Second the request for mode changes. That is the only reason I use arlo pilot arlo pilot is the only reason I haven’t gotten rid of arlo.

If you want to see what I am working on go ahead and try it out. The github repo i am using is below

Owner: Mavrrick
Repo: ArloAssistant
Branch: master

I am working through some logisticts, but thanks to inspiration from Steve White long ago with Arlo pilot, and help by @evanbeek a while back figuring out some Arlo stuff most of this is actually done. I was able to use modules from another app I have to the most of the functionality.

The complicated part here is creating the rules around how to identify the “mode” or ruleset Smartthings will use to identify when it will apply the actions. As of right now that app should have code to allow you to use it based on Smartthings mode, SHM and ADT Alarm State, and use a virtual switch. Currently the Virtual switch can only be used by itself, but the Smartthings mode and SHM/ADT Alarm states should be able to be used together to provide some more granularity. I am also looking at adding geo-presense as a method to determine, but as many of us know that can be a bit flaky.

If you want to try to use it you will need to download and publish the “Arlo Assistant” app from the repo. This app will essentially act as a container for the Modes you will create with the child app. Once that is downloaded you will want to download and not publish the “Arlo Smartthings Mode” app. This will get you the intended replicated functionality. There are three other apps in the repo, but they are earlier Arlo integration apps I have worked on and don’t exactly facilitate the replacement of ArloPilot. They are previous experiments that can be useful under certain circumstances

Because this is building the rules/Modes in smartthing you would want to get Arlo in the best state possible for your integrations. I would do the following

1. Get the cameras setup as you want them 100%
    a. Set resolution, and any configuration values associated with it
    b. In the smartthings mode turn off notifications, and then depending on where you want to control recordings turn them on or off. Arlo assistant can be set to tell arlo to record for up to 2 min clips based on the triggers from smartthings in the Arlo Assistant app. If you want to only record as long as motion is detected by the cameras then let Arlo handle the triggers. If you don’t mind letting Smarthngs manage it, it could be better to turn off all recordings in the Arlo Mode in the Arlo Cloud and let arlo assistant tell arlo to record 2 min clips.
    c. If you want the option to leave the cameras active for motion and audio detection, but not have the record or send notifications it is probably best to let arlo pilot manage the recordings.

This isn’t without drawbacks. It isn’t perfect and this is a ruff first delivery of the code. I will continue to test with it now. Since so many are effected though i wanted to get this out there so folks could atleast start to take advantage of it.

The known gaps are:

1. That this will not control or enable anything that isn’t integrated with Smartthings.
  2. External tiles are not handle by this at all.
  3. Video recordings based on camera motion will not be based on continuous motion as the arlo cameras can do for the arlo cloud for 5 min. The camera will record a set clip length for up to 2 min and then can be tripped again.
  4. I will look at adding some camera management functions to the app. Mainly to turn them on and off based on events. I just haven’t gotten to that point yet.
4 Likes

Just to explain what the this new app is doing.

First like all other smartapps it is triggered by a event you choose like motion detection, or a button

Second it trys to match your current environment to the mode definition you assigned it when creating the app. ie Smartthings mode and Alarm State

If they match it will process the define action such as triggering a recording or sending a notification.

Eventually i would like to add another check to see if the triggered event is still active and submit the action again, but for now it doesn’t do that. It would just need to be triggered again.

When getting the functionality down i was intended to duplicate what was already there with Arlopilot as much as possible and fill the need I have which is mainly to manage the cameras based on my Alarm system status. I am sure i missed some use cases so as you try it out let me know and i will try tweak it a bit.

2 Likes

Hi,
Has anyone managed to workout how to synchronise SHM modes with Arlo Arm/Disarm yet?