[OBSOLETE] ArloPilot - Enhanced Arlo System Integration

First off, thanks so much for creating this. I’ve been trying to figure a way to automate my custom modes since I got my cameras a few months back.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t appear to work very good for me. I originally added each of my custom modes and synced them. But when I try to manually change modes it doesn’t change to the correct mode or doesn’t change at all. So I deleted everything and added just one custom mode and synced it. And still it will change to the wrong custom mode, one that I didn’t even add. When I tell it to change to schedule it works fine, just not any of my custom modes. I am pretty sure I am doing it right.

Ok, I think I am on to something here.
“Dog Out” is my Arlo mode in the Arlo app
“Dog is out” is the ST mode I created in ST.
See the screen shot. It’s reversed and should be the other way around.

Amazing, it is working brilliantly now! I’ll keep playing around with it to see what else I can do. Great work on this!

1 Like

Since I haven’t yet finished the documentation I’m wondering if the modeID is probably incorrect. You can look up the mode ID by logging into the Arlo website and editing the custom mode. While in the edit page, click in the URL field and you’ll see the mode ID. I put together a screenshot and circled what to look for.

Thank you for the feedback! Please let me know if you have any suggestions for improvements.

Is there anything special that should be done to remove the “official” ST-Arlo integration before installing this? Delete devices, then smart app, remove Arlo ST rule, etc?

No, you still keep the official Arlo integration as that integrates the cameras, motion capabilities, and the ability to trigger recordings in SmartThings. What this integration does is allow you to set the active Arlo mode on an individual base station or camera based on specific events in SmartThings to push most, if not all, recoding to the Arlo Cloud by using the Arlo modes to trigger recoding on motion or sound detection. This eliminates the 3-5 second delays that most people see when using SmartThings to trigger recording.

It also allows you to take advantage of additional Arlo features like sound detection, zone motion detection, and variable length recording (i.e. record until motion ends) which are’t available in SmartThings.

So in summation, use both integrations.

2 Likes

Does the Arlo app mode change visually when you change the SHM for example, or do you have to refresh the Arlo mode screen somehow? It seems like everything is working in your SmartApp configuration, just not seeing the actual Arlo app mode screen change when I change SHM. I just installed couple hours ago via github so I should have your latest version.

EDIT-tried manual mode change via the smartapp and tried reinstalling smartapp, still not see change in Arlo app.

Steve. I didn’t understand the importance of mode ID while creating my user created arlo modes in ST. After some trouble shooting, I had guessed right, that it was 4th mode, but I called in “Mode 4” in the ST app. After reading your responce, I logged into Arlo website, the url has my “dog out” mode as “mode4” (no space). I corrected my user created arlo modes in ST and that seems to do the trick.

So, again. Thanks so much Steve. What you have here is wonderful. I will definitely be making use of this. I’ll be following this thread closely. I don’t use the SHM currently but I might be inclined to after I see what else can be done.

My apologies, @Scott2ya. I’ve updated the instructions in the first post to indicate how to configure custom modes. Hopefully you didn’t waste too much time on it.

If there’s something you think this app should do, please share your ideas!

I can’t get SHM to change mode on the arlo either

When I use a light switch (simulated switch) as a trigger to change my modes it will change the mode just fine but then the switch is in the on position and if I change my switch to the off position there’s no way to incorporate that. So what I would like is when I flip my switch to the on position to change to a custom mode and when I flip the switch to the off position to change to another custom mode basically taking it back to my schedule. Does that make sense?

If you are using a custom Arlo mode, please be sure that you use the instructions for finding the correct mode ID. Otherwise, there was an update posted late last night that fixed the SHM issue. If you haven’t updated, that’s the next thing to do.

Yes, that makes complete sense. It should be a fairly easy thing to do. Let me look into it.

I’m still having trouble. Just using the manual mode try to arm, shows success in smartapp, but Arlo stays disarmed.

The Arlo app does not dynamically update when changes are mare outside of the app. Make sure you log out and back in the Arlo app and let it refresh.

1 Like

Thanks, I was trying to refresh it somehow… didn’t think of logging out. it is working :slight_smile:

Hi @SteveWhite - thanks for this, Im trying to get it working. I have all installed and published ArloPilot. Its all in my ST app but “Arlo Devices & Custom Modes” is greyed out for me and not providing the list of options like your screen shots show. Any idea what I may have missed?

I did the Copy/Paste install. I’m just guessing here, but make sure you have done step 9 on.

I figured it out, thank you for the advice!

Does this app allow me trigger the arlo cameras to start recording if the SHM is set to away and then a door opens? Or to start recording if the alarm goes off for any reason?

Depending how deep you want to dive, the sky is the limit. I don’t use the SHM, my home is very active, but using a combination of stringify, ifttt and with ST and virtual switches and buttons, there isn’t much you can’t do.