[OBSOLETE] ArloPilot - Enhanced Arlo System Integration

All of those examples are based on the fact you happen to have the clip generated. You are also expecting that the motion detection from arlo doesn’t pic it up.

Well that program by @evanbeek has perfect logic for what you want to do. With a few adjustments you should be able to generate 5 second clips on a schedule or using a device to trigger the recordings. As it triggers when the location mode changes.

You know what. I have already experimented with this code and deployed methods to record for my ADT tools app. I will see if I can create something that will run on a scheduled interval that will create 5 second clips. I don’t know long it will be till I complete it, but I can’t imagine it would be to hard at this point.

I have gotten this setup and love the ST & Arlo integration. Even have the image from my cameras showing up on my ActionTiles. BUT the only Timor way I get new images is if I do a live view even a couple seconds then poof a new image is shown. I even added a pollster to refresh the cameras but have not gotten it yet. Any idea what I’m missing

What kind of time intervals are you all thinking of for a refresh.

@ChadofCNC @kevin @GRClark
I have the app created, but right now the allowed intervals are based on the turn of hours.

So it can be set to run ever 1,2,3,4 or so many hours. Does this sound good to those looking for this functionality.

You can download and test it from my repo
Owner: Mavrrick
Name: SmartThings-by-Mavrrick
Branch: master

The specific app is called Arlo Image/Clip Refresh. Feel free to use or let me know if any changes are needed.

1 Like

Thanks, will take a look!

How hard would it be to activate like every 15 mins or when motion is detected??

To change it from hours to min shouldn’t be to hard. The biggest cost is probably just battery more then anything else.

Motion activated integration really is probably best handled by the Arlo Cameras and Arlo cloud then by this app.

To do it in this app would basically involved setting up a loop to resubmit the record command after the clip completes. Because of various things it wouldn’t be smooth and would create gaps between clips. Now if you don’t mind it submitting one at a time then you in theory could just allow it to record a single clip until it is triggered again. that wouldn’t be hard. I think there would also need to be a check added to see the current state of the camera before a recording occurs. So it would involve a bit of work to add that.

This takes us out of the realm though of simply creating a snapshot to get a new tile and more into recording automation.

The battery part is not a factor in my case as they are plugged in and I have it setup to use Arlo system to record the video when motion or Audio is detected. But the snapshot is not being updated. Unless I use the live button on each camera from within ST (classic or current). When I do that poof new thumbnail pics. Both in the app and on my panel on ActionTiles.

Does anyone else get ‘False’ when they follow the URL to the camera image? I am also getting ‘An unexpected error occurred’ when saving within the smart app if I select one of my cameras in ‘Create virtual camera tile’.

Recent adopter of Arlo. This app seems to fit my needs. However, it doesn’t seem to work because the modes don’t change based on SHM status. I thought it was the recent update and commented out line 1211 as suggested above. However, no luck. It still doesn’t work.

The system seems to switch the Arlo mode to the same mode no matter what the SHM status is. I checked the live logging but don’t know exactly what I am looking for.

Any status of getting this smartapp updated so we don’t have to find a work around.

Secondly, I use to have a Blink camera system and I used RBoys device handler and smartapp. I essentially built a WebCore to automate my cameras and make adjustment for each individual camera based on certain events happening. Does anyone know if this is possible with Arlo cameras and WebCore? I noticed we can use IFTTT to make this happen but I don’t see a way to arm/disarm a individual camera and adjust its settings.

An suggestions and guidance would be helpful. Either this smartapp or using WebCore. I am open to either.

Can you generate logs from the IDE and provide them so someone can look at where it is failing. I don’t mind looking at the error, but need to know what it is doing. I know it works as I have had it working fine myself for some time.

Here is what I see in my logs. I essentially armed the SHM to Stay then disarmed it. Arlopilot should switch from a custom disarmed mode to the custom armed (stay) mode. Then the same would happen in reverse.

This is what I am seeing

a90ddc65-35fa-42e2-a3c7-ee4fc6c2d2c2 12:05:50 PM: error Caught exception [java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property ‘data’ on null object] while attempting to set mode.

Can you provide me the lines above and below that error. I suspect there may be more information provided in those logs.

I Have this same issue, did you manage to resolve it ?

Here is the whole thing for a simple arm to disarm

a90ddc65-35fa-42e2-a3c7-ee4fc6c2d2c2 12:05:50 PM: info smartapp_pause called by smartAppName=ArloPilot, value=500, smartAppVersionId=c8c934de-e376-4230-bf7f-1a682f94db29

a90ddc65-35fa-42e2-a3c7-ee4fc6c2d2c2 12:05:50 PM: error Caught exception [java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property ‘data’ on null object] while attempting to set mode.

a90ddc65-35fa-42e2-a3c7-ee4fc6c2d2c2 12:05:40 PM: info smartapp_pause called by smartAppName=ArloPilot, value=500, smartAppVersionId=c8c934de-e376-4230-bf7f-1a682f94db29

a90ddc65-35fa-42e2-a3c7-ee4fc6c2d2c2 12:05:40 PM: error Caught exception [java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property ‘data’ on null object] while attempting to set mode.

So first things first. I was doing some testing and found that it looks like that is the exact same error generated when the last problem identified was happening. Check and make sure you commented out that line correctly.

I have also found I am having issues changing the alarm mode for cameras attached to my base station. What I believe it is related to is the fact I have the doorbell and Chime. I am going to do further testing, but if this is true then the chime will prevent this integration from working with Arlo wirefree cameras for all 3 generations that use base stations. Update to come.

I apologize, I was doing some testing to figure out why this wasn’t working and I took out the comment on line 1211. However, I just put it back and ran this again. Still this same issue as discussed above.

a90ddc65-35fa-42e2-a3c7-ee4fc6c2d2c2 2:33:04 PM: info smartapp_pause called by smartAppName=ArloPilot, value=500, smartAppVersionId=c8c934de-e376-4230-bf7f-1a682f94db29

a90ddc65-35fa-42e2-a3c7-ee4fc6c2d2c2 2:33:00 PM: info smartapp_pause called by smartAppName=ArloPilot, value=500, smartAppVersionId=c8c934de-e376-4230-bf7f-1a682f94db29

a90ddc65-35fa-42e2-a3c7-ee4fc6c2d2c2 2:32:45 PM: info smartapp_pause called by smartAppName=ArloPilot, value=500, smartAppVersionId=c8c934de-e376-4230-bf7f-1a682f94db29

a90ddc65-35fa-42e2-a3c7-ee4fc6c2d2c2 2:32:43 PM: info smartapp_pause called by smartAppName=ArloPilot, value=500, smartAppVersionId=c8c934de-e376-4230-bf7f-1a682f94db29

@chris10 - When you save the file after making the change on line 1211 are you hitting the “publish” button in the IDE?

Just a heads up. If the chime or alarm in the base station is part of the mode arlo pilot will fail to change to it.