Release announcement on Facebook!

Good grief, I can get not wanting to use facebook for its primary purpose but what on earth is wrong with creating an account, not filling it with anything and just using it to visit links like these?

Seriously, people - relax. If you hate Facebook, thatā€™s fine. But itā€™s silly to pretend the majority of people out there donā€™t use it, and itā€™s straight up childish to get angry at ST for choosing to announce something there first. Surely there are more things in the world more worthy of getting all worked up about.

That said, Iā€™ll probably see whatever it is on here first since I actually get instant e-mails versus Facebook where it may not appear in my newsfeed at all depending on how the wind is currently blowing. Still, definitely curious to see whatever it is. I would imagine this is NOT V2 - hopefully thereā€™s a bit more fanfare around that - maybe do a periscope reveal for that one? Heh.

4 Likes

Proud to be practically nobody. Facebook is ridiculous.

Edit - My feelings regarding social media aside, Iā€™m not bothered that ST has chosen FB for release info. Itā€™ll be reposted here by someone within minutes.

1 Like

Hmm, could there be a corolation between diy ha people who publish posts publicly to a community forum and not having fb accounts and maybe even hating it?

Donā€™t hate the player, hate the game, said someone on Facebook.

2 Likes

Spoliers

If you look hard enough, the secret is has already been revealed.

Photoshop filters are amazing. They make you want to see what you want to see. I think I see a 2 somewhere in there?

2 Likes

V2 you meanā€¦

Nope it is just a 2 or an upside down 5.

Wellā€¦ That accurately expresses my emotion. This announcement is a game. Some people like games like this. Some people donā€™t. So I donā€™t play.

You figured out that itā€™s the secret SmartThings Game Console?!?!?!

2 Likes

Yes I see the logo and ngs in SmartThings! It all makes sense for me now.

1 Like

Actually, its silly to pretend that the majority of people out there do use it, because that is patently untrue.

I donā€™t think anybody got angry with SmartThings, we merely expressed our opinions, I certainly donā€™t appreciate you denigrating us as being childish for daring to express our perfectly valid opinion.

As to whether it is ā€œworth getting worked up aboutā€ - well again, I donā€™t see anybody in a foaming lather over this, but it seems several of us certainly deemed it worth our while letting SmartThings know what our opinion is on the matter. Perhaps this is born out of previous experience with other companies where access to services or information was curtailed without a Facebook account. Perhaps we were concerned we were approaching the top of a very slippery slope. (Iā€™m happy to see that @April is cognisant of and will avoid such practices).

So, if youā€™re happy with everything in the world then by all means, go ahead and relax. But please refrain from insulting us for daring to express our opinion.

2 Likes

To be fair, this thread very quickly degenerated into a Facebook bashing session. It is widely used and the simple point was, you donā€™t have to use facebook but there is nothing wrong with having an account to view things like this.

I have several accounts for several sites that I never use except to check something, itā€™s no big deal, you donā€™t even have to use any details that could be cross matched.

To be quite frank- Iā€™m glad you and others have voiced their opinions about Facebook. :slight_smile:

But, on announcement date, i also want to let you know, that FB is only one of other announcements.

Stay tuned.

3 Likes

And that is your opinion.

I choose to not use Facebook. I also choose not to validate the notion that everybody has a Facebook account and itā€™s therefore fine to assume that everybody does. Having a Facebook account, even with minimal or no information, would run counter to my sensibilities.

Iā€™m not saying that you, as an individual, shouldnā€™t use Facebook - your choices are your own. What Iā€™m saying is I have chosen not to do so and I take exception to any pressure applied to me to do so, in whatever form that may take.

Now, SmartThings have stated that they will not be locking any content behind mechanisms requiring a Facebook login; they will merely be posting information on a freely accessible page. That is perfectly acceptable to me. However, the oft expressed argument to ā€œjust create an account without any detailsā€ crosses the line - I specifically choose to NOT support Facebook NOR the notion that ā€œeverybody uses itā€.

That is my opionion.

4 Likes

71% of all internet users are on facebook. That is a two-thirds majority.

2 Likes

Huh, they could elect a president or override a veto. Hmmmm. Thankfully it doesnā€™t work that way.

2 Likes

T - 4d to v2

Exciting

The numbers Iā€™ve seen donā€™t support that.

Iā€™ve seen the current Internet user population estimated as 3.17 billion.
(Ref: Number of internet users worldwide 2022 | Statista )

Iā€™ve seen the current active Facebook user count estimated as 1.49 billion.
(Ref: Facebook MAU worldwide 2023 | Statista )

That is only 47% of Internet users - not a majority.

Of course, the Earthā€™s population is currently estimated as 7.3 billion, so Facebook is only used by 20% of people.

What is the basis for your claim of 71%?

71 is the number reported by Pew, but they are not the only one reporting that number. Here is the statistic from the same website you linked to.

This is the monthly active count