[RELEASE] Ambient Weather Station: Integration of a Network Connected Ambient Weather Station

Sounds great. Some day I might switch so have at it…

Is the Ambient Weather PM25 supported with the current version of the SmartApp? I’ve added it to my WS-0900 but it doesn’t show up in SmartThings.

https://www.ambientweather.com/ampm25.html

Dear @dbowles1975,

I suspect that the current version Ambient Weather Station does not recognize this Ambient Weather PM25 PM2.5 Wireless Indoor / Outdoor Particulate Monitor. I will PM you so we can get this device included in an updated enhanced version.

Ambient Weather Station Feature Update

V4.2 Testing Release

Please test this new feature release if you have an Ambient Particulate Monitor (MS25).

Feature Request:

1. Added support for the Ambient Weather PM25 PM2.5 Wireless Indoor / Outdoor Particulate Monitor as a separate remote sensor.

• Requires the new ‘Ambient Particulate Monitor’ device type handler (DTH) as well as updates to SmartAPP. Please update from the master branch of the repository and update values from SmartApp.
  • The sensor is a high quality Honeywell HPM Series Particle Sensor.
  • PM2.5 refers to particles that are 2.5 microns or smaller in diameter. The high quality Honeywell HPM Series Particle Sensor uses laser scattering to radiate suspending particles in the air, then collects scattering light to obtain the curve of scattering light change with time. The microprocessor calculates equivalent particle diameter and the number of particles with different diameter per unit volume.
  • The following describes the Air Quality Index (AQI) vs. PM2.5 breakpoints.
    • AQI Category: Breakpoints
      • Good: 0.0 – 12.0 (µg/m3
      • Moderate: 12.1 – 35.4 (µg/m3)
      • Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups: 35.5 – 55.4 (µg/m3)
      • Unhealthy: 55.5 – 150.4 (µg/m3)
      • Very Unhealthy: 150.5 – 250.4 (µg/m3)
      • Hazardous: 250.5 – 350.4 (µg/m3)
      • Extremely Hazardous: 350.5 – 500 (µg/m3)

ST GitHub Settings for 4.2

Name Value
Owner kurtsanders
Name: STAmbientWeather
Branch master

Required Files MUST be installed and published to your SmartThings IDE Repositories (Use ‘:arrow_down:Update from Repo’)

IDE Repository Filename Status
My SmartApps kurtsanders : Ambient Weather Station Updated
My Device Handler kurtsanders : Ambient Particulate Monitor New
My Device Handler kurtsanders : Ambient Weather Station UnChanged
My Device Handler kurtsanders : SmartWeather Tile Station UnChanged
My Device Handler kurtsanders : Ambient Weather Station Remote Sensor UnChanged

Required: Please run Ambient Weather Station SmartThings SmartApp setup after installing these updated files.

1 Like

Perfect! Thank you.

1 Like

I have added the smart app (v. 4.2) and all the device handlers and done everything else (including the API), but when setting it up in the mobile app after entering in all the required info it always says “An unexpected error occurred” once I hit save.

I can’t get past this.

Sorry to hear @TJroune… Let’s trouble shoot this issue your seeing in a private message, I’ll send you a message.

Does anyone have issues with their tile not updating? My Ambientweather App is updating but the tile in SmartThings is not updating. It happens randomly, but hasn’t udpated since 9:30 this morning. I don’t change anything.

Dear @JCandle,

I just checked my ST App and it is accurate to the Ambient’s Web dashboard values. I’m not sure what’s happening with ST or Ambient, but lets check a few areas.

1. What version of the Ambient Weather SmartApp are you on, there has been several updates this year. The latest release 4.21 helps with busy Ambient’s backend servers as well as other features.
  2. Are you iOS (Apple) or Android mobile client?
  3. Have you checked the ST Live Logging View to see if there are any error messages that can help.
  4. Is the Ambient Web Dashboard reporting?
1 Like

**V4.22 TESTING **

Bug Fixes & Feature Request:

1. Added new SmartApp preference setting to ignore the device battery values sent by the Ambient API. Reported device battery levels are very unpredictable and cause SmartThings to notify of low battery when weather device is fully charged. If selected, device battery level will be set to 100%.
  2. Made selecting all of the ‘Units of Measure’ easier when installing.
  3. If invalid zipcode or coordinates are entered, the SmartThings hub geolocation will be used by TWC API.

ST GitHub Settings for 4.22

Name Value
Owner kurtsanders
Branch master

Required Files since previous version MUST be installed and published to your SmartThings IDE Repositories (Use ‘:arrow_down:Update from Repo’)

My Device Handler kurtsanders : Ambient Particulate Monitor UnChanged

Required: Please run Ambient Weather Station SmartThings SmartApp setup after installing these updated files.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for your quick response! I was using 4.2, ended up deleting the device and re-adding it and it worked again. This is probably the 3rd or 4th time I’ve had to do it. I’ll check the log next time it happens and report back here.

1 Like

If you have re-install again, I can check your API and install on my ST. Also try the 4.22 release that I just uploaded.

1 Like

Will do, thank you!

1 Like

Ambient Weather Station

V4.23

Bug Fix:

1. Corrected a condition where a user, who had activated Weather Alerts/Notifications, could not deactivate the Weather Alerts/Notifications by removing the mobile phone number as directed in the input field’s instructions. Removing the mobile phone from the input field is now possible and will defeat Weather Alerts/Notifications.
  2. Changed default Weather Alert/Notifications interval to every 4 hours.

ST GitHub Settings for 4.23

Name Value
Owner kurtsanders
Branch master

Required Files since previous version MUST be installed and published to your SmartThings IDE Repositories (Use ‘:arrow_down:Update from Repo’)

Is this integration “cloud” dependent or direct communication on local network with the station?

Hi Kurt. I very enjoy using your smartapp to check the weather at my house. One comment about rain measurement that in metric system, the rain normally measure in mm (millimeter). Rightnow, it has only 2 options, inch and cm. Is there any way to be able to set the rain unit to mm?

Thanks.

1 Like

This SmartApp application interfaces directly with the Ambient Cloud Services API through the internet. I am not aware of how to interface locally for all the different weather models that Ambient manufactures.

Dear @Kenny_C,

You asked, we provided! :grin:

Ambient Weather Station V4.24

:new: Feature Request:

1. Added Millimeter as a unit of measurement for rainfall.

ST GitHub Settings for 4.24

Name Value
Owner kurtsanders
Branch master

I am at a bit of a loss as to where to tweak this, but I am looking to update either the sensor DH or the SmartWeather Station Tile to reflect temperature in the current ST app home screen. It’s defaulted to humidity. Also for the ‘Weather Console’ tile, it shows as a door / window sensor on the home screen and I’d like to be able to show temp or something relevant there as well.

Thoughts?

UPDATE: I happened to check the legacy app and it’s showing temp there. What’s the trick to get the current app to reflect that?

Thanks, Erik

Dear @Kraftwerx,

That’s weird and unexpected. I have not installed or used the new SmartThings mobile client. I strictly develop and only provide support for the legacy iOS SmartThings client. If you find out what is going on, and the change is something that does not impact the legacy clients, let me know and I can add the change to my production release of the DTH’s.

The legacy android and new SmartThings mobile clients cause so many headaches for home hobby developers such as myself, who expect the other SmartThings platform’s to operate consistently, and they do not in so many ways as you are encountering. :nauseated_face:

As you can see and you pointed out, I added the Ambient Weather sensor tiles to the favorites in my ST’s Home Dashboard and the temperature of each of my devices are displayed because temperature is listed as the primary status of the DHT.

© 2019 SmartThings, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

SmartThings; SmartApps®; Physical Graph; Hello, Home; and Hello, Smart Home are all trademarks of the SmartThings, Inc.