[OBSOLETE] Alexa Voice Notification smartapp - compatible with any Bluetooth/Sonos speaker

So this is practically identical to my Morgan Freeman Sonos Notification smartapp from a couple months ago, but instead of Mr. Freeman’s voice I yearned for the smooth, sultry voice of Alexa to notify me if someone is bashing in my front door or if there is a water leak in the basement.

Credit to Sam Machin for his web app which I recorded the Alexa phrases from via Soundflower & Audacity for Mac. Also thank you to @geko for his work on VLC Thing.

The following phrases are currently supported:

• Mail has arrived
  • Motion detected - Generic
  • Motion in basement
  • Motion in garage
  • Motion in front yard
  • Motion in back yard
  • Motion at front door
  • Motion at back door
  • Front door opened
  • Front door unlocked
  • Back door opened
  • Back door unlocked
  • Basement door opened
  • Basement door unlocked
  • Garage door opened
  • Patio door opened
  • Patio door unlocked
  • Water detected - Generic
  • Water detected in kitchen
  • Water detected in garage
  • Water detected in basement
  • Smoke detected - Generic
  • Smoke detected in kitchen
  • Smoke detected in garage
  • Smoke detected in basement
  • Boyfriend is arriving
  • Girlfriend is arriving
  • Husband is arriving
  • Wife is arriving
  • Son is arriving
  • Daughter is arriving
  • Welcome Home
  • Good Morning
  • Good Night

Requirements

• Windows/Mac/Linux always-on machine with bluetooth capabilities running VLC (I’m using a RPi B+ with a bluetooth dongle)

• VLC Thing (follow the directions provided for your particular OS)

Instructions

1. Install VLC Thing device type in the IDE
  2. Install Alexa Voice Notifications smartapp in the IDE
  3. Configure audio output to Bluetooth on your machine running VLC
  4. Connect your computer to your Amazon Echo via Bluetooth pairing

Demonstration

10 Likes

Aww, I got all excited thinking this could use the Echo directly. :slight_smile: Not some BT hack.

I wish there was a more direct solution too, I’m just impatient :smile:

You might change the topic to be more clear – this is really just ANY BT speaker playback via PC. I think it will confuse people.

1 Like

Nice program! I was just thinking how funny it would be to have VLC thing say, “Alexa, Simon says: Front Door Opened” though the PC speakers…then of course Alexa repeats that.

OK - about to try and set this up, I’ve got a MS Surface on the wall running SmartTiles and an Echo across the room. Is this the best solution for me to get ST announcements or should I look elsewhere? Also, what’s the best VLC setup for my MS Surface?

Thank you!

If you have a spare android phone laying around. Install smartthing app on it. Then install voice notify and Notifications Auto Clear from the app store. Pair it with echo and stuff that phone somewhere plug in where the sun dont shine. Notifications Auto Clear is to clear out smartthing notification immediately so you dont have to clear the notification.

1 Like

That’s an awesome idea. Do you use this with the Echo ?

Yes and it speaking use alexa voice not the phone so it’s very clear

How do you get it to speak with the Alexa voice though? If you have it go
through an android phone won’t it use the android tts engine voice?

its automatic dont have to do anything

This should not be happening… You may want to change the TTS voice to male to test this.

it’s using the Alexa voice because the mp3’s are recorded using that voice. The app isn’t actually performing TTS, it’s replaying pre recorded messages.

Oh Ok … It seems like a lot of work.

have you taken a look at this app?

Thanks, will check it out :slight_smile:

Hi, this is pretty cool. I am trying to get my Amazon Echo pairing with my Raspberry Pi 3 which has built in Bluetooth but I am not having any luck. If anyone has done that, I would appreciate some direction.

What Bluetooth USB device was used to get audio working like in the video?

I was trying this out and it looks like the Mp3s that were recorded are no longer available. I wasn’t quite sure how they were recorded in the first place. I really like the idea of being able to use Alexa’s voice. Can you please shed some more light on how that was done?

Mike,
I am trying to use the Amazon Echo as a speaker for the Raspberry Pi. From your links, I think you are using another Bluetooth speaker?