[RELEASE] Alexa Helper

I updated the app to 1.3.6…Could you updated and check that URLs are generated properly now?

Updated Cloud Interface, verified generated urls now have %20 rather than whitespace. Copied url, pasted into location 1 http scenario, toggled location 1 device, location 2 device manipulated. Works great, thanks!

1 Like

Good to know…thanks for the feedback!

This is awesome! I installed it and made things so much easier!
Thank you very much!

hi guys, trying to install the alexa switch and keep getting this error

No signature of method: script1477051584828261759957.metadata() is applicable for argument types: (script1477051584828261759957$_run_closure1) values: [script1477051584828261759957$_run_closure1@1de9f2f4] Possible solutions: getMetadata(), getState(), setState(java.lang.Object), metaClass(groovy.lang.Closure)

What am I do wrong? I even tried adding MichaelStruck repo via github using the wiki instructions but keep getting an error that it cannot be found.

I assume you copied the device type code from the GitHub and installed it in your IDE? That is required…it will not copy the code for you and that error seems to indicate you don’t have the code available in your account. This is listed here: http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Alexa_Helper#Virtual_Switch_Setup

Just got my amazon echo and have everything installed except the child app (scenario). When trying through update repo I’m getting an error and trying to copy and paste from Raw does not give me t he ability to copy when all code is selected. I have no issue with any other app. Anyone have any idea?. Thanks

I assume you are using this link: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MichaelStruck/SmartThingsPublic/master/smartapps/michaelstruck/alexa-helper-scenario.src/alexa-helper-scenario.groovy

Ironically, I updated it just today and it may have been in the middle of updating when you tried. Either way, I just tested this and it works (the copy/paste part). Not sure what might be the issue with the IDE…it appears the first time you must load up the code from the GitHub (copy/paste), then the ST update should work just fine. You also MUST have the parent installed first, then the child to successfully copy/paste as well.

Are you using Alexa Helper or Ask Alexa? This appears to indicate Ask Alexa. Unfortunately, I know you said you checked the OAuth and the Token, what you described is that SmartThings is not speaking to Alexa (or vise versa).

Please move this discussion to the Ask Alexa area and I recommend repasting the code in your Lambda section, then the pieces from the setup. I am betting it works then.

Thanks. I moved the post. I will try that now.

Is this still needed since ST official works with Alexa out of the box?

This app (Alexa Helper) works with the integration as you can’t do all of the stuff with the native integration as you can with my app.

1 Like

Hi, Before i even start doing something, i would like to ask you if i manage to install alexa helper, is it possible to say to alexa open and close command, it feels stupid saying turn my window on and off … :slight_smile: Thank you :slight_smile:

How is this for an answer…maybe…Unfortunately, Amazon changes their allowed phrases occasionally, and so it did work at one time…The way I would test this is to simply test it against one of the devices you already have in your Amazon account…For example “Alexa, close bedroom lamp”…if it turns off, then it will work for a virtual switch as well…

I have Ask Alexa… my awake word is “computer”… I say “Alexa, tell Computer to close the bedroom shades”… on the other hand, my husband just uses the off or on command…

1 Like

So open/close works on every switch in Ask Alexa?

Ask Alexa is different than Alexa Helper. Alexa Helper uses the Amazon system for open/close, on/off…so it will work (or not) dependent on Amazon. Ask Alexa allows a more robust voice system, allowing switches to be on or off, doors to be open/closed, and locks to be locked/unlocked.

Hope that helps.

So after installing everything correctly, I’m trying to get the Virtual Switch to announce some temp points when I click the virtual switch nothing happens.

error java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Command ‘playText’ is not supported by device 9fb6d532-a905-4af0-a087-16cd2e8dc1ff of type ‘Sonos Player’. Supported commands: [on, off, refresh, play, pause, stop, nextTrack, playTrack, setLevel, mute, previousTrack, unmute, setTrack, resumeTrack, restoreTrack, getVolume, subscribe, getCurrentMedia, getCurrentStatus, seek, unsubscribe, setLocalLevel, tileSetLevel, playTrackAndResume, playTextAndResume, playTrackAtVolume, playSoundAndTrack, playTrackAndRestore, playTextAndRestore] @ line 660

I am traveling right now but will look that up. However it worked the last time I updated the app months ago,so something might have changed within SmartThings integration.

Is there anyway you can add Battery status to this? I would have it send me a SMS/TXT of battery status levels of all my capable devices once a week.