[RELEASE] Alexa Helper

I had a similar problem with my own app, Talking Alarm Clock this morning as well…Seems to be cloud related as a mode didn’t change this morning.

I use Alexa helper for “good night” and “good morning” purposes. I don’t know why, but last night the momentary buttons stopped functioning. The buttons control routines, they send out to IFTTT, and they contral other specific switches. I’m not sure what changed, I added another momentary button yesterday, but not sure why that would make a difference. I pasted the log below. Anybody have any idea what’s going on? Thanks so much!

Clear
be7dbf7a-6e37-4d75-bae9-4dcaa3ba0486 7:58:48 AM: debug Parse returned {{ linkText }} has left
5a881201-1184-427a-896d-07c8ae41361e 7:58:33 AM: error org.hibernate.LazyInitializationException: could not initialize proxy - no Session @ line 450
5a881201-1184-427a-896d-07c8ae41361e 7:58:33 AM: info Alexa Helper scenario ‘Sleep Mode’, ‘Control Scenario on/off’ triggered
5a881201-1184-427a-896d-07c8ae41361e 7:58:32 AM: info Alexa Helper scenario ‘Sleep Mode’, ‘Control Scenario on/off’ triggered
1b830cc8-f124-4a1d-9f89-33d3859a703b 7:58:28 AM: debug getChildDevices(false), children=7

This may be an issue with the ST environment…I would open a support ticket.

Yeah, I didn’t see all those latest posts from just last night. I e-mailed the support team.

I’m also finding that when I open the Alexa Helper app and select a Scenario the Control Scenario Settings are now empty. when I click to update it to control a routine or what have you, an “Unexpected Error” comes up. Anyone else having this issue?

The code hasn’t changed in months. This leads me to believe something happened on SmartThings side…there were a few backend changes that ST did yesterday that I saw but they should not have done this. “Should not” being the key phrase. Since everyone is having issues at the same time it would be worth it to try a reinstall…and if the same error happens open a support ticket.

Sarah (SmartThings)
Sep 8, 9:28 AM MST

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out!

I am very sorry to hear you are running into this issue. This is a bug on our end that we are actively working on resolving as quickly as possible. I have tagged your email address so we can follow up with you as soon as a fix has been deployed. If there is anything else we can assist with in the meantime, please let us know!

Thank you for your patience with us through this and we’ll talk to you soon.

Sarah
SmartThings Support Team

The response!

1 Like

Appears to be fixed for me now tonight. Thanks for quick fix!

I am still getting the error in the app when I attempt to configure the Control Scenario Settings.

I’m having a problem using this app with a dual location setup. Here’s the details: I have a single Smartthings account managing two ST hubs at different locations. I have two Alexa accounts, one for each location. I have no problems with the code or devices in IDE or running the SmartApp instances. My problem is when I try to link the second Alexa account to the Smartthings account. In the Alexa app I add the smart things skill and it asks me which location. I tell it “Location 2”. It then shows a list of the location 2 devices, which includes the unique virtual switch for this location. However, when I run discovery it only discovers devices from “Location 1”. Any ideas why it won’t discover the location 2 devices, even though I’m directing it to location 2 in the setup? Thanks!

I had a similar setup and I think it has to do with the account OAuth…I had to have one ST account per hub to get everything to work.

Well that would be a pretty severe PITA for monitoring & managing both locations, not to mention the setting up of all my custom smartapps and device handlers in IDE again. Any idea if this is something that could be fixed down the road?

It could be. ST is aware of it as is Amazon… unfortunately it is for them to fix.

Hi,

In a speaker scenario with Sonos speakers, how can I refresh the station list retrieved from Sonos system?

And is it possible to get ;

• radio stations on this list like songs ?
  • whole playlists from Spotify or Sonos instead of just one song ?

Last question;
would it be possible to use a virtual speaker (zone player from MikeMaxwell) as an output device ?
zone player plays the audio through the speaker where motion is detected.

The Sonos implementation is not well done within SmartThings, so there there are some limitations. Basically, for a song to appear in the list it must have been played long enough for SmartThings to add it to its memory. Ask Alexa picks up on this and then adds it to the list of available songs you can set memory locations for. There is no way to ‘search’ for a song within the App that has not yet played and been recognized via SmartThings.

Does that make sense?

With regard to your questions, the lists will consist of individual songs…playlists (unless they show up as individual songs to SmartThings) will not show up.

For your last question, if the virtual speaker looks (to SmartThings) EXACTLY like a speaker in the device handler then it may work. However, the memory slot items are unique to Sonos and probably won’t work.

thx for your quick reply.

I am trying a TuneIn radio station. I’ve played it on this sonos speaker for more than 10 minutes.
When I open the speaker scenario to edit, I see some songs recently played on that speaker and a stream named “x-sonosapi-stream:s14259?sid=254&flags=8224&sn=0”

I am not sure if this is the station that I’ve played but I select it for one of the momentary tiles.

When I push that button , Speaker does not play anything , or plays just another song.

How can I troubleshoot this ?

The best way to get things into the ST memory is to go into the Speaker Device Handler and press pause and play multiple times until the name of the track starts scrolling on that page…then it should show up in the list that Ask Alexa generates…Hope that helps…

ok. I did that.
It shows "x-sonosapi-stream:s14259?sid=254&flags=8224&sn=0"
this is also what I see in the alexa helper, scenario.
But when I try that button it does not play.

When I try playing it, ı see on Sonos app that speaker iş playing “Smart things message” for 1 second. nothing is heard.

That probably means the Stream Sonos provides to SmartThings is actually not valid…you may be out of luck on that one.