[RELEASE] Alexa Helper

I have updated Alexa Helper (and the child scenario) to the latest version: http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Alexa_Helper#Latest_Version

The two big changes here are the ability to create the virtual switches via the main app instead of going through the IDE. You will need to have the device code for the momentary buttons installed in your profile as the app can’t install SmartThings devices directly. However, to designate the difference in these devices I have added icon specific to the new code:

In addition, I just received a set of new zwave baseboard heater controllers and while the main thermostat scenario worked ok, there are some nuances to baseboard heaters that I wanted to create its own scenario type. The big thing about this is that, if you are like me, you have all of the thermostats set to the same temperature…instead of saying “Alexa, set heat to 65” for each thermostat, I still use a dimmer to control the temperature if I need to change to different temperatures, but the on/off settings now have specific temperatures setpoints. So, I say 'Alexa, turn on heat" and it sets all of the thermostats to the setpoint in the app. When I turn off the dimmer, it turns the setpoint low enough that it is technically ‘off’. And again, I CAN change the temperature since it is controlled using a virtual dimmer (Alexa Switch). In addition, I don’t need to track the state of the switch as it is an Alexa Switch…which means it passes the commands from the Echo directly to the thermostat regardless of the state of the switch itself…

Enjoy!

3 Likes