[RELEASE] Alexa Helper

All,

Since I had some time during Thanksgiving I have put the finishing touches on the Alexa Helper, version 3.1.0. This version not only allows you to control modes, routines and switches, but now allows for adjustments of a connected thermostat.

For this new functionality, you will need to define a dimmer to use. Unless you have a dimming switch that doesn’t control a light, you will probably want to use a virtual dimmer (similar to a virtual switch/tile). I found this code online and polished it up to allow for the creation of a virtual dimmer.

In your IDE, create a new device type by copying/pasting this code and publishing it. Then, in the ‘My Devices’ section of the IDE, create a virtual switch. While you could call it ‘Thermostat’, I just named mine ‘virtual dimmer’ to be sure I don’t confuse it with the real thermostat.

Then, I add this main app (save and publish):

Finally, add this new child app (save, but DO NOT publish):

From there, you should have the option to control a thermostat (currently, only one is supported. Depending on feedback from the community I can add multiple units if needed).

The options for the thermostat control are rather easy…define the Alexa dimmer (probably the virtual dimmer), then choose the thermostat to link this to. I did put in upper/lower limits to this, just in case Alexa hears 29 instead of 69…I would set these parameters rather tight to prevent too hot/too cold of a setting by accident. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL I BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ALEXA MISUNDERSTANDING YOUR TEMPERATURE SETTINGS. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

If you do name your virtual dimmer something generic like ‘virtual dimmer’, you can set a group within the Alexa app to name this device “thermostat”. That seems to work for me. I simply say “Alexa, set thermostat to 69” and the dimmer goes to 69, which sets the thermostat to 69 degrees.

Finally, some limitations…I have a Nest Thermostat, and this works well when in HOME mode. If the thermostat is in AWAY mode (not AutoAway set by Nest but true “AWAY”) the temperature commands won’t register. I feel this a good thing, but also wanted to point it out. Since I don’t have any other thermostats so I can’t test their specific parameters. If you find this is not working for your brand of connected device, send me a PM.

I am really interested in feedback on this…I look forward to hearing from everyone on how this works for them.

3 Likes