[RELEASE] Aeotec Doorbell 6

If you open the device’s settings screen in the mobile app you can change the Siren Sound and Siren Volume.

Thanks for all you have done here. Very much appreciated…and if I were you, I’d keep a close eye on any changes to their stock handler, I’ve got a hunch they will stoop to stealing your code.

I doubt it because I’m pretty sure they don’t write their own built-in handlers and SmartThings tries to keep them as simple as possible because the less features they have, the less questions and problems they’ll have to deal with.

2 Likes

Hi, Awesome handler you’ve provided. But having issues with the button. When pressed, the sounds is really high, even when the Chime is configured to 10% in ST. Also, I cant see the Button in ST. How do I configure the button? I’ve tried pairing it again, and that seems to go weel, but still really loud, and I cant see it in ST.

Thanks
Mark :slight_smile:

Sorry, I completely missed this post…

It sounds like you don’t have my Aeotec Doorbell 6 Button handler installed so if you install that and then change any of the settings it should in create a child device for the button.

Once you have the child device you’ll be able to use it to change all the settings for the button and detect when the button is pressed.

I think I’ve got everything setup properly and I understand that the only customized sounds available are the 30, but … when I configure an automation and select the option to play message on speaker, it shows Aeotec Dorbell 6 as one of the speaker options. Should that work? I don’t hear anything when I do that. Thanks

Yes you could but if you want set specific volume you will not, volume level in automations does not override default volume in device settings, only Speaker Companion app could set specific volume. I understand Speaker Companion App is the recommended way by the DTH author Kevin …

Hi Kevin

I am a bit new in this world, installed the 2 device handlers and the doorbell. It works fine, but i can not get the button in the smartthings app?
When i push the button it only plays a really high sound.
Any suggestion what to do ?

Did you try any of the stuff below that I mentioned in that other topic yesterday?

When you open the parent and change any of the settings it should create a child device for each of the buttons that are paired to it, but those child devices most likely won’t get assigned a room so you’ll have to look through your whole device list in the mobile app.

When you find the child device for the doorbell go into its settings and that’s where you’ll be able to specify the sound, volume, repeat, length, and strobe effect that gets played when the doorbell button is pushed.

When the physical button is pushed the device generates button pushed and switch on events so you should be able to use either of those to trigger automations. In theory you can use the device’s switch on command to play the button’s sound, but if you want to play sounds on the fly with Automations you’re better off using the parent device.

The dimmer field for the parent device in Automations will play the corresponding sound number using its chime related settings, but you’ll have to set the “Switch On Action” to “Do Nothing” because when you use the dimmer action in Automations ST executes the devices on command before the setLevel command.

Update:
Your last post on that other topic makes me wonder if the device is actually joined to SmartThings so did you go through the inclusion process or manually create the device in the IDE?

The V3 hub doesn’t automatically go into inclusion mode when you use Search and it doesn’t have a QR code to scan so you have to join it by choosing an option in the brand list.

Technically you can choose any z-wave device in the list to put it into inclusion mode, but “z-wave” is the generic option so I usually just use that.

Once the device is in inclusion mode you have to push the device’s action button once. (The device plugged into the wall, not the doorbell button)

If you’ve successfully joined it at one point and had issues removing it then you might want to start by holding the action button on the device for about 25 seconds which will factory reset it.

Hi Kevin, I hope everything is ok. I am understanding that you can add Aeotec Doorbell button as a device in Smartthings ? I used your great Doorbell Button DTH to program volume and chime when physical one is pushed, but in the Smart App never appears any activity of virtual button (history is empty and when physical button is pushed virtual one does not set in ON status), so your comment gives me the idea I can do something to automate in ST App a notification or any action (like light flash) saying that the physical doorbell button was pushed, but keeping your DTH linking the button with the siren, am I right ?

Thanks my friend !

You can’t add it, but the handler for the parent device should detect that the device has a button paired to it and automatically create a child device for the button.

The purpose of the child device is to provide a way to change the sound settings and allow you to use it as a trigger in Automations so you can perform other actions when the physical button is pushed.

Since a custom device config hasn’t been generated for the device the history and device details screen might not show that the physical button was pushed, but unless ST recently changed something you should be able to use the child button device’s “Pushed” event as a trigger in Automations.

1 Like

I have a small contribution to your wonderful doorbell 6 device handler. When triggering pairing buttons manually (with the action button x3/4/5) I noticed the logging output doesn’t work as intended. The logged message was always “A button was removed”. I believe this is because the value of state.buttonMode isn’t updated when Lifeline indicates active pairing has started. Adding the state.buttonMode = BUTTON_MODE.pairing line as shown below fixed the problem for me:

private handleActivePairingButtonReport(val) {
	def btn = buttons.find { it.pairingMode == val }
	if (btn) {
		logDebug "Pairing Mode Started for Button #${btn?.num}"
		state.buttonMode = BUTTON_MODE.pairing
	}
	else {
		logDebug "Pairing Mode Stopped"
	}
}

I hope this is the correct fix and helps someone else down the road. Thanks again for the code and the hard work and many hours I know went into it.