[OBSOLETE] Aeotec Doorbell 6

Hi Kevin, Caroline here, just wanted to say thank you for your work, never dealt with device handlers before but thanks to you the setup of my Aeotec Doorbell 6 and extra Buttons went without a hitch, now I’ve created some SmartThings scenes so that every time my doorbell rings the chime goes off and my Lifx lights power on too. Thanks again and greetings from Poland!

I installed 1.1.4 but I still don’t see any button pushes or doorbell activity in Smartthings. I do see battery checks.

Here is the doorbell device from IDE:

The mfr, prod, and model shown in the raw description are 0 which means something got messed up during inclusion.

If my handlers are installed and published then they should be assigned to the device automatically, but ST uses those fields to identify the correct handler which explains why you had to manually change the handler.

You’re going to have to remove the device, factory reset it, and join it again, but since you’ve already tried that you should also reboot the hub before joining the device.

You should also set it back to the latest version of the handler.

Success! I removed from Smartthings, rebooted the hub, changed the device handler to the current version, factory reset doorbell, and then added it back. Everything is working now. Thank you for help and pointing out what to look for!

1 Like

Is this the same DTH that is in the list on Groovy IDE called Aeotec Doorbell Siren 6, or do I need to self-publish? Cos I am looking for the setting to disable the tamper alarm as it will be moved and bumped from time to time and I don’t want to be shrieked at every time.

You need to install and publish both handlers in the first post of this topic and then join the device.

Thanks. I was wanting to run it on the dumb local handler most of the time, I hope I am right in saying that if I configure the tamper alarm off in your more sophisticated one, I can swap back to the basic siren one without losing my setting?

Usually yes, but this is a multichannel device that relies on child devices which are handled differently.

The settings should stick and if you manually delete the child devices before switching back to the built-in handler then it might re-create them, but I’m not sure…

Well I did manage to turn the tamper volume to zero and have it stick when switching to the local handler… But my choices of sound and siren volume are ignored when changing handler, even though they are actually listed in settings. I don’t mind too much for myself but it’s only meant to wake me, not the neighbors and their babies! (location in my bedroom to let me know if someone is trying to break in a window downstairs)

Upon further research, Aeotec made this tone and volume the default and I guess the local handler just tells it to sound off on the default (I am not the only user moaning) So I just need to find some box to put it in to muffle it a little

What’s the name of the built-in handler that was assigned to it automatically and did it create a child device for the button?

It initially assigned Aeotec Doorbell Siren 6, and about 6 of the ones just below it called Aeotec Doorbell Siren Child, which are both in the ST list. But I wasn’t intending to use any buttons. It’s just so that something makes a noise when one of the window sensors gets triggered. I also have a neo coolcam siren but I bought this new one as I was looking for something more configurable that wouldn’t be louder than necessary. No such luck lol. Anyway I installed your handler as it’s the only one that allows the tamper alarm to be turned off. It’s remembered that setting. Wish it would remember the others.

My handler is using endpoint 6 to play the sounds so if ST created a bunch of child devices then the one with the device network id ending with “:6” might have the settings you specified…

1 Like

It’s added another 2 overnight :frowning: Is it ok to delete all the child devices or will that break it altogether? The preferences I set up using your handler are showing up as having been stored on the parent device, even when I switch to to Z-Wave Siren. The volume setting has been stored as “40” which is what I chose for the volume.

It will probably just keep adding them back.

When you turn it on, is it coming on at 40%? Is so, then what issue are you still having?

Using your handler, I set the volume and desired tone, and test with a virtual switch running an automation. The automation says when Test VS 3 is on, turn on Aeotec Doorbell 6. With your DTH assigned it plays my preselected tone at my preselected volume (40%), by default. With the “Z-Wave Siren” DTH assigned, it plays a different tone at full volume. So I am wondering, since it DID remember the tamper alert volume I chose while your DTH was assigned and continued to remember it after changing to ZWave Siren, how come it won’t remember the volume for the siren tone? Does your DTH handle those settings differently from each other? Do you have a way to make a setting become the stored default on the device?

Tamper is endpoint 2 so when you save those settings with my handler those settings get updated on the physical device. In theory, turning on the “:2” child device activate the siren with the settings specified for tamper.

If that works or you don’t have a child device with a device network id ending with “:2” then continue on with the stuff below, otherwise let me know and I’ll take a closer look at the code…

The Siren is endpoint 6 so you should be able to do the same thing with that endpoint, but in order to play the sound configured for the siren you’re going to need find the child device on the my devices page that has the device network id ending with “:6”.

In order for that to work you’ll probably need to remove the device, remove my DTH, join the device so that the built-in handler creates all the child devices. If it doesn’t create them all then you may need to save the settings to force it to.

Once you’ve done that you can change the parent device to my handler, save the siren settings, activate the siren, and then change it back to the built-in handler and you should be able to play the sound you specified by activating that “:6” child device mentioned above.

If that works, continue on with the stuff below, otherwise let me know and I’ll take a closer look at the code…

You should also be able to use my handler to change the settings for endpoint 7 and 8 which would allow you to use those 3 child devices to play different sounds at different volumes.

To change the settings on those other endpoints all you’ll have to do is change “endpoint:6” to “endpoint:7” on line 52, save/publish the handler, change the device back to my handler, change the siren settings, and activate the siren. If that works then you can change that line to “endpoint:8” and do the same thing.

I am trying to work out how to delete the device and start over. I’ve messed something up when I deleted the child devices. I saw the places in the code you referred to, so I can probably work out what to edit based on your description. But the problem is I don’t get a choice of what child to trigger when using the Z-Wave Siren handler. There is basically the choice of “Off”, “Strobe”, “Siren and Strobe” or “Siren” via the app and automations.
It won’t let me delete it lol. I shall be back later when Google has been my friend :slight_smile:

Exclude the parent device the same way you would any other device. Excluding it should also delete the child devices, but if it’s not letting you exclude the parent or the children are orphaned then you should be able to delete the children through the IDE.

In order for this to work you have to join the device without my handler installed so that ST creates a child device for each endpoint and then you can change the parent to my handler. You don’t have to do anything with the children and my handler shouldn’t mess with them either as long as you don’t have a button paired with the device.

You won’t be using the parent at all.

You’ll select the “:6” child device as a switch in your automations and when you turn that switch on it will use the settings you configured with my handler. Just make sure you activate the siren/strobe after changing the settings before you change it back to the built-in handler.

Once that’s working you can do the same for endpoints 7 and 8 using the instructions in my last post.

When you’re done you’ll be able to use those 3 child switches to play the 3 different sounds you configured.

Thanks. I’m just waiting till I get a few hours without interruptions so I can focus properly, then I’ll give it a go :slight_smile:
Later: Nope can’t do it. I can’t reconnect the device and I can’t get the hub to go into z-wave exclusion mode at all. Looks like the whole thing is in limbo.

I would have responded to you sooner, but I only receive a notification when the reply gets posted so I didn’t see your update until I came back to this topic.

The exclusion process for this device is push the action button 6x which is the stupidest exclusion process I’ve ever seen and if I remember correctly it’s not mentioned in the manual which makes it even worse…

If you ended up using the force remove option then you’ll need to factory reset it.

I’ve seen that happen on ST and other platforms when multiple inclusions/exclusions are performed without waiting 15-30 seconds in between them, but rebooting your hub should fix it.