[OBSOLETE] Aeotec Doorbell 6

Thanks for taking the time to troubleshoot this problem.

It seems that the “button pushed” event is not available in the automation in the new app. All I have is “ON”, “OFF” or “ON or OFF”. (the last one make no sense to me since the status is either one or the other so the condition is always satisfied).

For the route, it is the same before and after the button is pressed:

Capture d’écran de 2020-05-02 20-37-38

By the way, the button worked fine today.

Looking further into the “button pushed” event, I checked the current button status in the IDE:

Would’nt that tigger the automation since it is always showing “pushed”

If it is a z-wave issue then it will most likely only fail when other messages are being sent at the same time so the problem will continue to happen randomly.

A direct path to the hub isn’t bad as long as that’s no the only route it has. Do you have many powered devices?

The new mobile has some attributes that determine what type of device it is in the new mobile app.

I have those set to Switch, but you could change those attributes to make the automation app see it as a button.

No, that’s how the button capability works. Automations are activated by events so as the event gets created with the state change flag set to true, the old value doesn’t matter and it will still trigger the automation.

Assuming there is a mesh issue then fixing that is probably a better solution. About how many devices do you have and have you ever run a z-wave repair?

I have 16 z-wave powered devices and I did run a z-wave repair not so long ago. In any case I did another one today. The route did not change… and the button misbehaved.

When you say I “could change those attributes to make the automation app see it as a button”, how does someone go about doing that?

In the button handler, delete line 35 and replace line 34 with:

ocfDeviceType: "x.com.st.d.remotecontroller"

insert the code below on line 157:

if (!device.currentValue("supportedButtonValues")) {
		sendEvent(name: "supportedButtonValues", value: ["pushed"].encodeAsJSON(), displayed: false)
	}	

Save, publish, and then open the button device in the mobile app and save the settings. If you’re using the new mobile app you need to change a setting to make it save, but you can change that setting back afterwards.

You might have to re-open the new mobile app a couple of times to get the UI to change to a button and show the button automation feature on the device details screen.

Thank you for your continuous support.

For further testing we will have to wait for smartthing to fix their firmware because since 30.03 update the button does not report anything anymore.

https://community.smartthings.com/t/z-wave-issues-with-firmware-update-30-3

I wrote this handler for a beta version of the device and they completely changed the firmware in the final release so I had to basically re-write the handler.

In the original firmware, the only way to detect button pushes was to manually set multichannel associations, but it looks like that’s no longer necessary with the device’s final firmware that passed z-wave certification.

The workaround in my original version of my handler still worked when I re-wrote the handler so I never noticed that it was no longer needed and left it as-is.

Since there’s a way relatively easy way to make it work with the current hub firmware and there’s a good chance that ST rolling back the breaking changes they made is temporarily, I’ll modify the handler this weekend.

That change will decrease the number of reports being sent by the device so there’s a good chance that it’s also going to fix the original issue you’ve been having.

I’ll let you know when the new version is available.

1 Like

Hope a solution to the problem comes soon it is a bit unfortunate that you can not get a notification.

I’m working on it now and should have a new version posted shortly…

IMPORTANT UPDATE v1.2

SmartThings made a change in Hub Firmware Update 30.03 that broke the doorbell notifications and this update fixes that problem for new devices that are joined.

I’m assuming it also fixes it for devices that were joined before they made that change, but since I wasn’t using this device with ST I have no way of testing that so make sure you test the device after updating the code.

KNOWN ISSUES

The device only reports that it’s on when it’s making noise so the new version can’t detect when just the strobe is turned on so when the strobe is on the device will still show that it’s off. I’ll figure out a workaround for that, but I don’t have time this weekend.

There’s also an issue with the button device getting stuck showing that it’s on when the tone intercept length is set to 1 second. This isn’t a new issue and it happens because the on and off reports either arrived in the wrong order or the off command doesn’t arrive at all.

If you need to keep the intercept at 1 second then you’re probably going to have to use the child button device as a button to detect when the doorbell button is pushed, instead of using it like a switch.

NEW MOBILE APP - BUTTON

The child button devices work as buttons in both mobile app’s when you use a SmartApp, but if you want to be able to use it like a button in the new mobile app’s Automations feature then you’re going to have to make the following changes to the button handler:

• Add // in front of lines 37 and 38.
  • Remove // from lines 39 and 40

After making those changes the icon in the new mobile app should change to a remote controller, but it usually takes a while. You can sometimes force it to change immediately by opening the button device in the IDE, changing the handler to something else, saving, changing it back to the button handler, and then re-opening the mobile app.

Thank you so much!

Everything is working fine. I can see the button going on and off on the tile everytime it is pushed. I like also the fact that I can see and manage the automation right from the device page.

Your support is outstanding. Thank you again.

1 Like

Thank you for confirming.

Does the strobe button cause the status to change in the parent device or does it still appear off?

If it still shows off, is there a way to turn off the strobe in the new mobile app? If not and the strobe is stuck on, use the physical button on the back of the device to turn it off.

Now I have added the two device handler and changed type for both siren and tap, but it still does not work. Is there something I’m doing wrong

1 Like

I got one notification about 1 minuet, and after that when I try, I dont get any? Really strange…
Please look into the code one more time :slight_smile:

Thanks

Remove // from log.trace lime at the very bottom of the code. Open live logging, push the physical button, and post the logging results

1 Like

No the status does not change. In fact the status stay off no matter what. To turn the strobe (or siren) off I can use the “off” option in the siren mode section. If I use the main button then it result in a network error and the mode change to off without turning off the strobe and then it is stuck there preventing all my doorbell buttons to work.

Sending a sound command with speaker companion will work and turn off the strobe but the doorbell button are still unresponsive. I had to reset the device with the physical button in the back to get it working again.

I never use the siren that way so I was not aware there was a issue there.

I can’t reproduce any of these issues with a newly joined device so without the logging data there’s nothing I can do…

This was only to answer your previous questions. Since I don’t use the siren that way, it does not matter to me. So, for me, everything is fine. You solved my problem.

Are you using the child device as a switch or button?

Let me know if it is not enough.