So I think I have finally resolved my issue with presses not working properly by coding around ST’s shortcomings. Posting this here in case anyone else is experiencing the same issues.
I have two WallMotes on 2 hubs in two different locations all performing the same. The buttons were coded via Smart Lights to turn a smart bulb on and off. I found that the automation did not always reliably work on the first button press. (I tried both toggle and using two buttons for on/off). The smart bulbs being controlled were also controlled by Smart Lights to turn on and off at a particular time.
The DH seemed to be working ok, as all button presses were logged, but the lights did not turn on or off nonetheless.
My presumption is that despite indications to the contrary, ST is not properly keeping track of the bulb’s on/off status and in some cases not sending the command to the bulb. I got around this by coding the buttons in webCore, using an IF statement looking for both a button press AND the status of the bulb.
The WallMote has functioned without an issue since making that change.