[OBSOLETE] Aeon Labs Multifunction Siren

I thought I was going to go deaf while writing the DTH so I ended up folding a cloth a bunch of times and taping it over the speaker.

If you’re looking for a reliable siren and entry/exit device you might want to look at the Zipato Siren or Dome Siren.

Yeah Elf mine is in my kitchen with hardwood.

Thanks Kevin, yeah was so surprised. I’d like to try and do it with this device for now (since I just got it, don’t feel like buying another one). Do you have a beep that you can cut really short that doesn’t sound so bad? I’m waiting for my wife / kid to go away for the weekend so I can blast and experiment so it might be really easy.

If I remember correctly Custom Beep 1 uses a 50ms delay so that’s probably as short as you’re going to get it.

For some users the beeps are short and reliable, but for other users the siren often turns on for a couple of seconds instead of beeping so they can’t use that functionality.

Been needing a good siren for smartthings. Before i go and buy this one, does this DH still work correctly and is it still being supported?

It depends on how you define “correctly”?

This is SmartThings so nothing is 100% reliable, but when SmartThings is working properly the siren works as expected.

It’s a good siren, but I don’t recommend getting it if you’re looking for a door chime and siren.

The beep functionality turns the siren on and off quickly because the device doesn’t have a chirp feature and that works fine for some users, but it doesn’t work at all for other users.

Yes I’m still supporting the DTH.

Hoping for a little help. So I’m very new to the ST world. i just picked up a couple devices (one of them being the Aeon Labs Gen 5 Siren. I wanted to add some additional functionality and came across this thread. The DTH appears to be exactly what I was hoping for. Unfortunately after following the instructions and updating the original handler type in the IDE: My app no longer can communicate with the siren. I receive an error “Can’t connect to device. Check device and try again”. I double checked that the code is correct and published. I even deleted the device and tried from scratch several times with the same results each time. If I change the DTH back to the original Aeon Siren. Everything works fine. Any idea what I might be doing wrong? Any help is appreciated.

You need to use the SmartThings Classic Mobile app.

1 Like

Thanks! Just discovered that the new app is a bit handicapped at the moment with the custom DTH’s!

1 Like

Hi Kevin, I had a question. I’ve installed your nicely created deivce handler for Aeon Siren and was wondering if its possible to play short mp3 or midi file when the door opens? I have door open/close sensor and aeon siren connected to smartthings hub. If it is then can you please guide me how to do it?

The Aeon Doorbell supports playing mp3s, but the Aeon Siren doesn’t.

Thanks Kevin, So is there anyway I can play something like door chime when the door sensor is open?

The device doesn’t support any type of chime feature, but I built one into my handler by turning on and off the device quickly.

If you’re using the Classic Mobile app you should see some beep tiles and if they’re somewhat reliable you could use those for your door chime.

I am using this in a similar application, as a door chime at a shop so I know when my front door is open. Works fine, but often refuses to shut off until the physical button is pressed. I’ve tried a few different methods (siren timeout of 2 seconds, custom beep, scheduled beep) but still have the issue. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I even moved my door sensor and the siren from my Smartthings hub V2 to an ADT hub, with only those two devices, and still have the same issue.

Thank you!

Just a quick question…do I add this the the smart apps column or device handle column in the ide? Thanks.

Ok got it working but am.wondering will this dth ever work in the new smartthings app?

I can make it load in the new app, but it will just be a siren. I’ll add it to my short term to do list.

3 Likes

Thanks kevin.

I have a Aeon Siren (Gen5), and have your device handler Aeon Labs Multifunction Siren v 1.10.3
installed, however, I can not seem to find the “Rule Machine” “Define a Trigger” setup windows you are referring to.

My alarm works instantly with intrusion detection. I would like a Delay, before Siren Activation upon entering so I have time to Disarm the Alarm before the siren go off.

Rule Machine has gone the way of the Dodo.

webCore is the present functional equivalent.

Does the new SmartThings app not work with this device handler? Classic app works great. It’s seems to ignore the tiles setup and in the seemingly generic alarm / music player screen says the name of the device is “Energy Bridge”, which is the name of the other device I have that uses a custom handler. Something seems leaking / corrupted.