[OBSOLETE] Aeon Labs Multifunction Siren

If you were using the Aeon Siren DH, you should have been able to create the new DH in the IDE, Publish It, and then change the Device Type in the IDE Device Settings.

Assuming that’s what you did, does the mobile app look like the screenshots and are there any errors in Live Logging?

If you were using a different DH, your device may not have used secure inclusion and you will need to remove it and perform the secure inclusion by pressing the action button twice during the pairing process. Open Live Logging before adding the device so you’ll be able to see any errors that might occur.

If secure inclusion still fails, you may want to try removing the device, performing a factory reset by holding the action button for 20 seconds, moving the device within a few feet of the hub, and adding it again.

The secure inclusion issue is a common problem with the Aeon Doorbell so I’m assuming this is the same problem. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to get either device to not connect securely so my recommendations are based off of what has worked for other users.

Thanks for the guidance. I fixed my error. I had added a new device instead of modifying the existing device to use your DTH. So, now it’s using your code. Just wanted to report that problem is now solved. Next, I’ll get to playing with it to see how it works.

[quote=“CAL7, post:4, topic:40652”]
Next, I’ll get to playing with it to see how it works.
[/quote]Glad to hear you were able to get it to work.

I’m working on some documentation for using this DH’s advanced features with Rule Machine. It will include things like custom alarms, custom beeps, and using the beep schedule to create a custom entry/exit sound.

1 Like

This is great, when I first got the alarm about 8 months ago, I was hoping that I would be able to take advantage of all it’s features and now with your device handler and rule machine, it looks like I can finally do that. Thanks for your contribution to making this device so much better.

1 Like

Aeon Labs Multifunction Siren Details

Here’s an overview of how you can use the custom commands with Smart Home Monitor, Smart Alarm, Notify with Sound, and Rule Machine:

Smart Home Monitor
The Custom Monitoring section of SHM supports Audio Notifications and if you choose “Custom Message” for the Notification, you can specify the command to execute in the
"Play this message" field.

Smart Alarm
In the “Notifications Section”, select the siren from the “audio player” list and enter the custom command into the “phrase” field(s).

Speaker Notify with Sound
You can setup a Custom Message action and specify the command to execute in the “Play this message” field.

Rule Machine
You can use the “Send or speak a message” action to execute the command. You do this by entering the command in the “Custom message to send” field, enabling the “Speak this message?” option, and choosing the siren for the “On this music device” field.

These are the commands that can be used:

• off() - Turn off alarm or stop beep from repeating.

• siren(), strobe(), both(), on() - Turn on default Alarm.

• customAlarm(sound, volume, duration) - Plays specified sound at specified volume for specified duration.

• delayedAlarm(sound, volume, duration, delay) - Plays specified sound at specified volume for specified duration after the specified delay.

• startBeepDelayedAlarm() - Uses the beep schedule settings to repeatedly play the default beep. If the beep schedule finishes without being cancelled, the default siren is played and the switch.on and alarm.both events are raised.

• beep() - Play default Beep.

• startBeep() - Uses the schedule settings to repeatedly play the default beep.

• customBeep[1-6]() - A command for each of the 6 custom beep buttons shown in the app.

• customBeep(sound, volume, repeat, repeatDelayMilliseconds, beepLengthMilliseconds) - Plays beep using specified settings.

• startCustomBeep(beepEverySeconds, stopAfterSeconds, sound, volume, repeat, repeatDelayMilliseconds, beepLengthMilliseconds) - Uses specified schedule settings to play specified beep.

You can execute the commands by entering them into the message/phrase fields described above, exactly as shown below:

off
stop
on
play
siren
strobe
both
beep
startBeep
startBeepDelayedAlarm
customBeep1
customBeep2
customBeep3
customBeep4
customBeep5
customBeep6

The customAlarm command can be used by entering “customAlarm sound, volume, duration”. The command below will play sound 5 at volume 1 for 60 seconds.
customAlarm 5, 1, 60

The delayedAlarm command can be used by entering “delayedAlarm sound, volume, duration, delay”. The command below would wait 30 seconds and then play sound 4 for 1 minute at volume 2.
delayedAlarm 4, 2, 60, 30

The customBeep command can be used by entering the 5 parameters without any text. The command below will play a 50 millisecond beep using sound 3 at volume 2 and it will do this 5 times with a 1 second pause between each beep.
3, 2, 5, 1000, 50

The startCustomBeep command can be used by entering the 7 parameters without any text. The command below performs the customBeep mentioned above at 10 second intervals for 1 minute.
10, 60, 3, 2, 5, 1000, 50

Aeon Siren/Rule Machine - Door Entry Example

Here’s an example of how you can use Rule Machine to play a beeping sound and then the alarm if a specific door is opened while SHM is Armed(Away). If SHM is changed to Armed(stay) or Disarmed while it’s beeping, the alarm will not sound.

1. Create a Conditional Trigger Rule

2. Choose the Contact open, SHM state Arm(stay) and SHM state Disarm for the Triggers.

3. Use SHM state Arm(away) for the Condition and Rule.

4. For True Actions, use the speak custom message action for a startCustomBeep command and also use turn on switch after 1 minute with pending cancellation and choose the siren. If you use the Switch.on command of the Siren, it will turn on the default siren.

5. For False Actions, use turn off these switch and choose the siren.

This is what the final Rule should look like, but I had to split it into 2 images:

Aeon Siren/Rule Machine - Door Exit Example

Here’s an example of how you can use Rule Machine to play a beeping sound for 60 seconds and then set SHM to Arm(away) when a button is pushed. I had to use 2 rules to do this so there’s probably a better way, but at least it works.

1. Create a Trigger rule that uses the button one pushed event to speak the startCustomBeep command.

2. Create a Trigger rule that uses the button one pushed event to set the alarm to Arm(away) after a delay of 60 seconds.

This is what the final Rules should look like:

Rule that makes it beep:

**Rule that sets the alarm to away:**

3 Likes

So you use Rule Machine exclusively for the beeps and sirens for the SHM alarm? Do you essentially duplicate the conditions that would trigger SHM (motion, door entry) to turn on the siren? Thanks for this - ordered my Aeon siren today!

1 Like

I actually don’t use Rule Machine or SHM for my security at the moment because I wrote a custom application, but setting it up in Rule Machine was a good way to test the DH and demonstrate the Rule Machine integration.

You can still use SHM for everything, but for the entry/exit functionality to work, you would need to exclude the entry door from the list of open/close sensors in SHM.

I just added your device handler, and the screen looks similar but the text for the custom beeps and scheduled beep does not fit in the circle. I have an IOS device.

[quote=“pmjoen, post:11, topic:40652”]
I have an IOS device.
[/quote]Thank you for letting me know because I don’t have an IOS device so I have no idea what it looks like or if everything works the way it’s supposed to. Can you post a screenshot or describe what the text looks like so I can figure out the best way to fix it?

The text is larger than the circle

Thank you, that’s a huge help and I’ll fix them in the next version. FYI, the first row is 1-3 and the second is 4-6.

The Aeon Labs Multifunction Siren now supports the Music Player capability which allows you to use custom sirens and beeps with the SmartApps Smart Home Monitor and Notify with Sound.

Rule Machine is no longer required to utilize all the functionality of this Device Handler, but if you’re using Rule Machine, you can now use all the commands without setting them up as Custom Commands.

Here’s an overview of how you can use these features in the 3 SmartApps mentioned.

Smart Home Monitor
The Custom Monitoring section of SHM supports Audio Notifications and if you choose “Custom Message” for the Notification, you can specify the command to execute in the “Play this message” field.

Speaker Notify with Sound
You can setup a Custom Message action and specify the command to execute in the “Play this message” field.

Rule Machine
You can use the “Send or speak a message” action to execute the command. You do this by entering the command in the “Custom message to send” field, enabling the “Speak this message?” option, and choosing the siren for the “On this music device” field.

Supported Commands

You can execute any of these commands by entering them exactly as shown into one of the fields described above:

off
stop
on
play
siren
strobe
both
beep
startBeep
startBeepDelayedAlarm
customBeep1
customBeep2
customBeep3
customBeep4
customBeep5
customBeep6

The customAlarm command can be used by entering “customAlarm sound, volume, duration”. The command below will play sound 5 at volume 1 for 60 seconds.
customAlarm 5, 1, 60

The delayedAlarm command can be used by entering “delayedAlarm sound, volume, duration, delay”. The command below would wait 30 seconds and then play sound 4 for 1 minute at volume 2.

The customBeep command can be used by entering the 5 parameters without any text. The command below will play a 50 millisecond beep using sound 3 at volume 2 and it will do this 5 times with a 1 second pause between each beep.
3, 2, 5, 1000, 50

The startCustomBeep command can be used by entering the 7 parameters without any text. The command below performs the customBeep mentioned above at 10 second intervals for 1 minute.
10, 60, 3, 2, 5, 1000, 50

4 Likes

[quote=“pmjoen, post:13, topic:40652”]
The text is larger than the circle
[/quote]The version I just released should fix the button issue, but let me know if it doesn’t.

This is brilliant Kevin, thanks. I have been following along and changed my device handler yesterday, glad I didn’t get around to setting up the custom commands. I will be updating again with the more user friendly approach.

2 Likes

Thanks again - siren due to be received tomorrow.

Any way to build a delay in to the custom commands before the siren sounds?

This would give an option for those of us who like SHM but think it needs a delay before activating the alarm.

Or a series of beeps for a period of time before sounding a siren?

It sounds simple, but I’m sure the logic is not straightforward…

[quote=“mooch91, post:18, topic:40652”]
Any way to build a delay in to the custom commands before the siren sounds?
[/quote]I just added this feature and released 1.2.1, but making that change to the default siren would be involved so I ended up creating a new command called delayedAlarm instead.

The mobile app will show that the delayed alarm is active and allow you to cancel it, but you can’t activate it from the mobile app.

The command arguments are sound, volume, duration, delay. if in 30 seconds you want sound 4 to play for 1 minutes at volume 2, you would need to use the command:

1 Like

[quote=“mooch91, post:18, topic:40652”]
Or a series of beeps for a period of time before sounding a siren?
[/quote]At the moment, anything you do with the siren while the alarm is pending will cancel the alarm so you wouldn’t be able to play a beeping sound during that time.

I could add another command like “startBeepAlarm” that uses the settings specified in the mobile app to beep for the scheduled amount of time and then turn the alarm on. I could probably also add a preference that allows you to enable that as the default functionality for the alarm.

Let me know if you think either/both of those options would be helpful or if you have any other suggestions on how to make it better.

Since you don’t have the alarm yet, I need to point out that the siren only has the ability to turn on and off. All of these other features are being done using delays so the consistency of the beep sound, duration and spacing is far from perfect due to cloud and scheduling related delays. The alarm is also really loud, but you could always do what I did, and tape something over the speaker.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

1 Like

The new version fixes the button issue I described previously. Thanks for all the work on this solution. My only issue is no matter how I modify the length of the beep it never decreases. Im trying to make it sound more like a chirp (10 milliseconds) instead of the 100 millisecond beep.