Aeon Labs Aeotec Multifunction Doorbell

The new version of this device handler can be found in the first post of the Aeon Labs Aeotec Doorbell Topic.

9 Likes

Anybody try this yet? I will give it a try on one of the doorbells I have today to see whatā€™s what.

The documentation and described abilities looks great!

Iā€™m testing this DH and so far itā€™s working great. Thanks to @krlaframboise.
I still need to setup a SmartApp to use the new ā€œBeepā€ command :smile:

Thanks, are you using the Android mobile app. I was doing a lot of testing in the Android mobile app and all the buttons stopped working once, but after closing out of that screen and re-opening it, everything seemed to work fine. With the reliability of ST lately Iā€™m not sure if it had anything to do with the Device Type.

[quote=ā€œRudiP, post:3, topic:36586ā€]
I still need to setup a SmartApp to use the new ā€œBeepā€ command
[/quote]Iā€™ve never seen anything use the ā€œToneā€ compatibility before, but I figured if there was a specific track I used often, I could use beep() in Rule Machine instead of having to remember playTrack(25).

Yep, Iā€™m using the Android mobile app and sometimes it getā€™s stuck. I also just close and reopen the app.

Iā€™m also planning to add the beep() call to some of my Rule Machine rules that I currently donā€™t play a message and I just want a low volume confirmation sound.

[quote=ā€œRudiP, post:5, topic:36586ā€]
Yep, Iā€™m using the Android mobile app and sometimes it getā€™s stuck. I also just close and reopen the app.
[/quote]I just released version 1.1 which should fix this problem, but please let me know if it continues to happen. Thanks

Iā€™ve just tested the new version and itā€™s working great so far. Thanks.

Iā€™m glad to hear it, Iā€™m just hoping it works OK on iPhone because I donā€™t have one to test with.

Just so everyone knows, the first post in this topic will always have the most recent version of the device handler and its documentation.

Iā€™ve updated the documentation to include screenshots and added links to the important information section that provide additional information and instructions.

Iā€™ve added the capabilities Beacon, Polling, and Refresh to version 1.2. I know they really donā€™t fit with a doorbell, but I wanted a way to get notified when my internet goes down or I lose power.

These capabilities allowed me to setup a SmartApp that calls the poll method at set intervals (ST doesnā€™t automatically). It subscribes to the presence attribute from the Beacon capability and sends me SMS and Push messages within a couple of minutes from when I lose or regain power and/or internet.

I just released version 1.3 which replaces the Beacon capability with the Presence Sensor capability. The Beacon capability caused problems with the the Android Mobile appā€™s presence detection and it wasnā€™t very useful because I couldnā€™t find any SmartApps that used it.

So the presence Sensor shows present when there is power and away when there isnā€™t?

I have not tried this DH yet, as I took a hiatus of sorts from making changes to ST to focus on completing some other tasks that needed my attention - and even the small changes in ST can often drag me inā€¦

I am looking forward to the promising functionality here. One concern i have is I am currently using the other DH which disables the device showing active when I send custom playtrack commands to it and I am not entirely clear how that works with this DH.

[quote=ā€œJH1, post:11, topic:36586, full:trueā€]
So the presence Sensor shows present when there is power and away when there isnā€™t?[/quote]
ST doesnā€™t automatically call the poll method so unless you schedule something to call it, it wonā€™t automatically change the presence. I originally used the Beacon Capability since it had the same attributes as the Presence Sensor Capability, but didnā€™t make the device show up like a presence sensor. The Android app didnā€™t like the Beacon Capability and kept giving me random presence related errors which is why I changed it.

Do you think Iā€™d be better off getting rid of the Presence Sensor Capability and adding an attribute called something like ā€œConnectionStatusā€ that has the states ā€œOnlineā€ and ā€œOfflineā€? I think there is only one other person actually using this DH so I doubt getting rid of that capability would cause any problems.

[quote=ā€œJH1, post:11, topic:36586, full:trueā€]
One concern i have is I am currently using the other DH which disables the device showing active when I send custom playtrack commands to it and I am not entirely clear how that works with this DH.
[/quote]Iā€™m not sure what you mean by ā€œshowing activeā€, but this is how the features work:

• If youā€™re using the device as an Alarm or Switch, the on and alarm events will only be raised when the siren, strobe, both, or on commands are called. Those actions also cause the deviceā€™s status to change to ā€œalarmā€.

• If youā€™re using the device as a button, the button pushed event will only be raised if the physical doorbell button is pushed or the pushButton command is called. Those actions also cause the deviceā€™s status to change to ā€œbellā€.

• The play and playTrack commands change the deviceā€™s status to ā€œplayā€.

• The beep command change the deviceā€™s status to ā€œbeepā€.

• Regardless of how the track started playing, it will set the state and status of the device to ā€œoffā€ as soon as it finishes.

Here is what I am doing.

Say someone rings the doorbell with the button. I use rule machine to monitor that doorbell, and when itā€™s status shows ā€˜onā€™ - a seperate doorbell will also ring and I will be sent a text message. If doing playtrack or other actions to that doobell results in the cascade or a text to myself, that would be a problem.

I am not sure I follow about the presence or beacon. Are you trying to use the device to determine if your power has been cut / restored? I like the idea but not sure i follow exactly how you are doing that.

Sorry I have tinkered with this yet. I hope to soon.

[quote=ā€œJH1, post:13, topic:36586ā€]
I use rule machine to monitor that doorbell, and when itā€™s status shows ā€˜onā€™ - a seperate doorbell will also ring and I will be sent a text message. [/quote]It sounds like youā€™re currently checking for the ā€œonā€ state of the Switch capability in Rule Machine. If you use this DH you will need to use the ā€œbutton one pushedā€ state of the Button capability instead.

With this DH, it will only show ā€œonā€ when one of the following commands is called: siren, strobe, both, or on. I thought it made more sense to have the Button capability associated with pushing the doorbell button and the Alarm capability associated with turning the device on.

I looked at my code and I could easily change that functionality so Iā€™m going to add a preference that allows you to choose which commands (doorbell, beep, play/playTrack, siren/strobe/both) trigger the ā€œonā€ state and Iā€™ll default it to siren/strobe/both. Once Iā€™ve made that change, you can change the settings to ā€œdoorbellā€ and you wonā€™t have to change any of your existing rules.

I just noticed that the ā€œButtonā€ capability is available in Rule Machine as a trigger, but not a condition and thatā€™s the main reason Iā€™m adding this functionality in the next version.

[quote=ā€œJH1, post:13, topic:36586ā€]I am not sure I follow about the presence or beacon. Are you trying to
use the device to determine if your power has been cut / restored? I like the idea but not sure i follow exactly how you are doing that.[/quote] Yes, thatā€™s what Iā€™m doing and it works fine, but I donā€™t think this is what the Presence Sensor is intended for and it causes the device to get listed in the ā€œfamilyā€ screen of the mobile app so Iā€™m considering removing that capability in the next version.

Can you make it an optional config?

[quote=ā€œJH1, post:15, topic:36586ā€]
Can you make it an optional config?
[/quote]If the device has the Presence Sensor capability, smart things automatically treats it as a presence Sensor so Iā€™m pretty sure thereā€™s no way to make that optional.

If I remove that capability, Iā€™ll add an attribute that can be used to determine if itā€™s online. Rule Machine allows you to add custom commands, but Iā€™m not sure if it allows you to use custom attributes in rules. If it doesnā€™t, than that feature wonā€™t be very helpful.

What do you think I should do?

Edit: I just went through the Rule Machine Feature Request page and custom attributes are not going to be implemented so the custom attribute wonā€™t be useful.

[quote=ā€œKeithJW, post:418, topic:28889ā€]
I tried setting up the Rule you suggested with no results
[/quote]Does the rule get triggered if you press the physical doorbell button?

I configured button one, but it showed up as beep, playing track 5, which beep is set to, but the speaker played the doorbell sound, track 3.

ā€¦Although maybe a door was opened, because I tried it again and nothing showed up.

When I mentioned the button and Rule Machine, I was referring to doing things like turning on a light when the button is pushed.

Example:

(my doorbell is called ā€œLiving Room Speakerā€)

Oh fair enough. Iā€™ll have to play around with it.