Aeon Labs Aeotec Multifunction Doorbell

I’ve been maintain two device handlers for the Aeon Labs Aeotec Doorbell which has caused some confusion and is no longer necessary because the Aeotec Doorbell device handler supports almost all the capabilities as the old one without the performance problems.

You should be able to switch to the new device handler without having to make any changes in the SmartApps that are using it, but you should test them after switching just to be sure.

The Aeotec Doorbell device hander doesn’t have the performance problems that the other one had and it still uses the button one pushed event when the doorbell button is pushed, but it also uses switch.on which I’ve heard is required for IFTTT integration.

Instructions for switching to the new device handler:

1. Create a new device handler with the Aeotec Doorbell code and publish it. (Don’t overwrite the old Aeon Labs Multifunction Doorbell device handler with the code for the new device handler)

2. Open the device in the IDE and click Edit.

3. Change the “Type” to Aeotec Doorbell which should be located near the bottom of the list, and then save.

4. Open the device through the mobile app and go to its settings screen.

5. Fill in all the fields and tap Done. If you see any values without labels in the settings screen, those are left over from the old device handler and if you empty those fields they won’t appear again.

Please let me know if you run into any problems or come across something that worked in the old device handler and doesn’t in the new.

I’m not going to remove this device handler from GitHub, but you should still switch to the new one.

4 Likes