[OBSOLETE] Aeon Labs Aeotec Doorbell

volume feature working great

1 Like

With this DTH, the Custom Message/Speak Text commands can only be used to pass the track number. You’ll be able to play a track at a specific volume with SHM, but you won’t be able to change the repeat option using playRepeatTrack.

If you want to use the playRepeatTrack command, you have to use CoRE, but you should choose that command from the list instead of choosing “Speak Text”. If you’re just playing a track, you can use the play track or speak text command and use the track number as the text.

If you only plan on using 1 track with SHM, I recommend selecting the device as an Alarm because you can specify the track to play for alarm in the device settings. This should increase performance and make it more reliable because the command is sent directly to the DTH.

You won’t be able to change the repeat option, but it’s not that difficult to create a repeating track that’s 20 seconds long using an application like Audacity. If you use the repeat option with a 20 second track, it’s still going to shut off after about 23 seconds so you won’t lose any functionality by doing this.

I’m recommending this because if you use the custom message in SHM or Speaker Notify with Sound, ST sends the command to amazon for TTS conversion and then passes the url it generated to the DTH. The DTH parses the command from the url, but those extra steps adds a 1-2 second delay to the process and if the TTS service is down, the message won’t make it to the DTH.

Great info Kevin!

I don’t plan on using the Aeon Doorbell as a doorbell, but as an announcer. Can I re-purpose the doorbell button as a z-wave button to control other things?

Yes.

When the button is pressed, it raises the Switch On and Button 1 Pushed events.

If you don’t want it to make noise, you can set the doorbell track to your first track (which should be silent) or any track number that doesn’t have a corresponding mp3 file.

2 Likes

When other apps use this will it trigger the On or Button 1 Pushed event? Basically I want to use the door bell button to control my water valve for my hose. Need to make sure nothing else will trigger it.

Where is everyone getting their sound files from?

When another SmartApp plays a track, it shouldn’t trigger the on or pushed event, but you may not want to use it for that purpose due to the phantom ring issue that some users have reported.

There’s a hardware issue that causes the device to randomly behave like it was just plugged in and play the first track. It doesn’t happen often and I haven’t experienced it, but its happened to enough users for me to recommend that new users set the first track to an mp3 that plays a few seconds of silence.

There’s no way to distinguish between the device being plugged in and the doorbell button being pushed so when this happens, the DTH raises the switch on and button pushed events.

I use Ivona.com to generate all my voice audio tracks. I then use Audacity to add silence to the end of the tracks because the doorbell tends to cut them off.

I also also add a tone to the beginning of my tracks so that I’m actively listening for the message by the time it starts talking.

How do you use ivona? Do you need to sign up/pay for commercial or does free development use allow you to download mp3’s?

There’s a way to get the mp3s without logging in. I’ll PM you later and explain how.

2 Likes

Just got this device handler up and running with my new doorbell. This is just the solution I’ve been looking for to add a nice little open door chime during the evening.

Thanks for this great piece of code!!

For reasons beyond me, I’m having trouble finding the right git path, can you share what you used to get the integration working please?

krlaframboise
SmartThings
master

Tried that combination, but did so by editing a previous iteration it didn’t like. I deleted the errant one and entered it fresh, voila. Thanks!

Two questions:

1. IFTTT has 3 alert types: strobe, siren, & strobe + siren. How do I know which MP3 on the doorbell is set to which label on IFTTT?
  2. For the past couple of days the doorbell within the SmartThings’ app has had the alert Alarm Sounding. I have tried turning it off but it always reverts back to Alarm Sounding. There is no sound being playing, it is only the status within the app. How do I go about fixing this?

Thank you for any help!

In you open the device settings in the mobile app, there’s an option for Alarm. That is the track that gets paid for all 3 of those.

If IFTTT has any type of music player or speech synthesis capabilities, you can specify the track number to play through the playTrack command, or specify the track number as the custom text for the playText or speak commands.

Pressing the doorbell button or going into the settings and saving might solve that problem.

1… This is awesome. Thank you for sharing your work

1. Is there a way for us users to have this device automatically update from your repo?

yes, use these settings:

krlaframboise
SmartThings
master

Well, semi-automatically :wink: Using the settings Kevin listed above, you still have to click-select-click-etc. … BUT, you won’t be copying n’ pasting anymore.

1 Like

My old wireless doorbell crapped out a couple weeks ago, got approval from the budget committee to get one of these :slight_smile: . After futzing around with the mount and a factory reset to pair with ST, I have it working most of the time (more work on the mount interference is imminent to improve further).

I’ve got the DTH working, and have a push notification setup for our phones. I also tied the doorbell “switch” into IFTTT so it triggers a Hue blink notify throughout the house in case we’re listening to music/etc. My plan is to setup different rings/volume levels for different modes of the house using CoRE. Because adding/changing ringtones seems to be a bit of a PITA, I’d like to fully load the thing from the outset with the ringers for different seasons/modes/etc. I’d like to hear what everyone is using for tones aside from the stock settings, and if you’re doing anything cool/out of the norm. Chime in! :wink: