[OBSOLETE] Aeon Labs Aeotec Doorbell

I’m almost positive that Speaker Notify with Sound used to use null for the volume if one wasn’t specified, but now it’s using 0 so the track was playing you just couldn’t hear it.

I just released a new version that makes it use the default volume if the specified volume is 0.

1 Like

You nailed it - I specified the volume and it works now - thanks again!! This is a great work!

If you’re using the version I just released (1.9.2), it should work without having to enter the volume.

Quick question, Im new to smartthings by about two weeks. I have the door bell and love it. I have it triggering when my doors open using SHM custom. Im looking to add more tracks with text to talk. Things i want for the "doorbell to trigger at specify times of the day. Ex: @ 1630 “childs name, Feed the dog” @0800 “Childs Name, time to leave for the bus.” if anyone could steer me in the right direction on how to get a trigger for a specific time certain days of the week? Could there be a virtual DH thats a calendar, is a virtual device even possible, where I can select the doorbell as a speaker and which audio file to play? Thanks

IMO CoRE is the most versatile. See my very simple Hourly Clock Chime for Doorbell on this page. This plays on the hour, you could set any time or interval to play whatever you want.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=CoREsamples

[quote=“park63350, post:87, topic:39166”]
Im looking to add more tracks with text to talk. Things i want for the "doorbell to trigger at specify times of the day. Ex: @ 1630 “childs name, Feed the dog” @0800 “Childs Name, time to leave for the bus.” if anyone could steer me in the right direction on how to get a trigger for a specific time certain days of the week? [/quote]
@Whippm is correct, you should definitely check out CoRE. There’s a slight learning curve, but it’s worth taking the time to figure it out. It’s also well documented and there are multiple topics on the forum where you can get help setting up your automations.

In CoRE, you can select the device as an audio device and you can specify the track number and volume using the playTrack or speakText command.

I recommend using the free website IVONA to generate your mp3s and the open source windows application Audacity to modify the mp3 files. You have to add about 1/4 second to the end of your mp3s or the doorbell will cut some of it off.

Thanks guys I’ll check it out. Is CoRE a smartapp? Or a DH?

It’s a smartapp, see https://github.com/ady624/CoRE to get code. See Wiki link above for all the links to CoRE helps.

Having some trouble switching over to this. It works on 2 of 3 doorbell devices I have.

On the one that it doesn’t work for… the following code versions both work:

• V 0.5 of Aeon Doorbell code 01/13/2016
    "Aeon Doorbell - RV v0.5", namespace: “robertvandervoort”

• Aeon Labs Multifunction Doorbell v 1.8.13 - krlaframboise

Some logs …

A device that is working with this code set…

efd4dd10-1419-4258-bc0b-b7257e6f215c 4:00:36 PM: debug Aeon Doorbell - Master Bed is off
efd4dd10-1419-4258-bc0b-b7257e6f215c 4:00:36 PM: trace BasicReport: BasicReport(value: 0)
efd4dd10-1419-4258-bc0b-b7257e6f215c 4:00:32 PM: trace Hail: Hail()
557b6989-a46c-4342-844e-b81b66a4b2c2 4:00:32 PM: debug lowBatteryHandler: Aeon Doorbell - Master Bed battery is 100%
efd4dd10-1419-4258-bc0b-b7257e6f215c 4:00:31 PM: debug Battery is normal
efd4dd10-1419-4258-bc0b-b7257e6f215c 4:00:30 PM: debug Volume: 10
efd4dd10-1419-4258-bc0b-b7257e6f215c 4:00:30 PM: trace startTrack([track:3, status:beep])
efd4dd10-1419-4258-bc0b-b7257e6f215c 4:00:30 PM: debug Playing Beep Track
efd4dd10-1419-4258-bc0b-b7257e6f215c 4:00:30 PM: trace Executing beep()

The device that does not work with this code…

7f92fe7d-f10c-4bb9-ad4f-302e6913d457 4:15:29 PM: trace startTrack([track:3, status:beep])
7f92fe7d-f10c-4bb9-ad4f-302e6913d457 4:15:29 PM: debug Playing Beep Track
7f92fe7d-f10c-4bb9-ad4f-302e6913d457 4:15:29 PM: trace Executing beep()

7f92fe7d-f10c-4bb9-ad4f-302e6913d457 3:56:07 PM: debug Secure Commands Disabled
7f92fe7d-f10c-4bb9-ad4f-302e6913d457 3:55:47 PM: debug Playing Beep Track

The first thing I’d try is going into the device settings through the mobile app and tap done.

If those other DTHs are working, the device is most likely paired securely, but this DTH doesn’t know that because the configuration hasn’t been run.

If that doesn’t fix it, the cleanest solution would be to unpair it, hold the action button for about 25 seconds which will perform a factory reset. A factory reset restores the settings, but it doesn’t touch the mp3s that have been loaded onto it.

Once you’ve done that, remove the other device handlers so that it gets identified as this device when you pair it.

Thanks Kevin

Have tried this several times.

That’s going to be brutal, with the amount of apps it is configured for. I haven’t tried a ‘replace’ action yet, but will probably try that if I have to. Any experience there?

Thanks Again.

No, I haven’t tried it before, but if you save the device settings and then post the live logging data it generated, I might be able to figure out some other things to try first.

Hey Kevin -

Here is what happens in live logging relative to the doorbell device in question when I change the device handler to yours and then edit settings and save:

7f92fe7d-f10c-4bb9-ad4f-302e6913d457 5:41:20 PM: trace Setting volume to 10
7f92fe7d-f10c-4bb9-ad4f-302e6913d457 5:41:20 PM: trace Setting repeat to 1
7f92fe7d-f10c-4bb9-ad4f-302e6913d457 5:41:20 PM: trace Setting doorbellTrack to 2
7f92fe7d-f10c-4bb9-ad4f-302e6913d457 5:41:20 PM: debug Secure Commands Disabled
7f92fe7d-f10c-4bb9-ad4f-302e6913d457 5:40:53 PM: trace Setting volume to 10
7f92fe7d-f10c-4bb9-ad4f-302e6913d457 5:40:53 PM: trace Setting repeat to 1
7f92fe7d-f10c-4bb9-ad4f-302e6913d457 5:40:53 PM: trace Setting doorbellTrack to 2
7f92fe7d-f10c-4bb9-ad4f-302e6913d457 5:40:53 PM: debug Secure Commands Disabled

The problem was caused by the configuration not running because one of the other DTHs had already set the configured variable to true.

Can you confirm that adding the temporary line to reset that variable to false fixed the problem and that everything is working for you now?

1 Like

Indeed Kevin.

The above trick worked. Saved the day in fact, would have been a major surgery to remove the physical device and rejoin it due to the way ST ties the devices into SmartApps.

I knew it wasn’t your DTH as it was working for the other devices I had, just that there was something jammed up in ST or something wrong with the device.

I figured I would ask though, and it paid off.

Thank You!

1 Like

Question: any suggestions to speed up triggering the speaker message?

Driver works well for my needs (don’t let the dog out when the gate is open). Perhaps a demo script would be good in the document at top of thread [if there are are any doing their own apps-- core is a bit slow]. I included my snippet until something better comes along to save other time.

/**
* https://community.smartthings.com/t/release-aeon-labs-aeotec-doorbell/39166
*/

// Automatically generated. Make future change here.
definition(
    name: "Play Speaker",
    namespace: "xxxxxxx",
    author: "unknown",
    description: "Play track for events below (door lock and contacts).",
    category: "Safety & Security",
    iconUrl: "https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-icons/Convenience/Cat-Convenience.png",
    iconX2Url: "https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-icons/Convenience/Cat-Convenience@2x.png",
    iconX3Url: "https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-icons/Convenience/Cat-Convenience@2x.png")

preferences
{
    section("Optional door unlocks... (ands with contacts if present)") {
        input "locks", "capability.lock", multiple: true, required: false
    }
    section("Optional contact open...") {
        input "contacts", "capability.contactSensor", title: "Contacts?", multiple: true, required: false
    }
    section ("Play this speaker...") {
        input "speaker", "capability.musicPlayer", title: "Speaker", required: true
        input "track", "number", title: "Track"
        input "volume", "number", title: "Volume"
    }
}

def installed()
{
    initialize()
       log.debug "Play Speaker installed."
}

def updated()
{
    unsubscribe()
    initialize()
    log.debug "Play Speaker: updated."
}

def initialize()
{
//    log.debug "${app.label}  Settings: ${settings}"
    subscribe(locks, "lock.unlocked", doorUnlocked)
    if (contacts != null) {
        subscribe(contacts, "contact.open", contactOpenHandler)
    }
//    subscribe(app, contactOpenHandler)

}

def doorUnlocked(evt)
{
        if (contacts == null) {
                   speaker.playTrackAtVolume(track, volume)
                  log.debug "${app.label} ${evt.displayName} is ${evt.value}, played track."
        }
        else {
            def anyOpened = contacts.latestValue("contact").contains("open")
            if (anyOpened) {
                  log.debug "${app.label}: ${evt.displayName} is ${evt.value}, and a contact opened, so played track."
            }
            else {
                log.debug "${app.label}: ${evt.displayName} is ${evt.value}, no contacts opened, so no track."
            }
        }
}

def contactOpenHandler(evt) {
    log.debug "${app.label}: app event, so playing track ${track} at volume ${volume}."

}

Since the DTH works with any SmartApp that supports the Music Player or Audio Notification capabilities, (SHM, Speaker Notify with Sound, SmartAlarm, etc.), writing a custom SmartApp or using CoRE isn’t necessary for most situations.

I personally think if you’re posting other code to a [RELEASE] topic, it’s a lot less confusing to others if you just post a link, but if you’re going to post code make sure you select it all afterwards and use the “< / >” toolbar button so that it gets formatted properly.

The response time of this device isn’t great, but this DTH is a lot faster than my original Multifunction DTH for it.

When the device is paired securely it beeps about 1/2 second - 1 second faster because delays had to be added to prevent a duplicate beeping problem that happens when it’s not paired securely.

If anyone’s interested in trying out an Alpha version of a Zone Based Security SmartApp I wrote specifically for this device, let me know and I’ll send you a link to the code and documentation.

It started out as a way to make it easier to assign a track number to a group of devices, but it morphed into a full security SmartApp with a variety of arming/disarming options (include CoRE pistons) and a bunch of notification options (including AskAlexa Messages).

Hello, noob here. Been using ST for a few weeks and recently bought the Aeon Doorbell (https://www.amazon.com/Aeon-Labs-ZW056-z-wave-doorbell/dp/B0182XG27Q) to use as a door chime, replacing our old wired security system. Plan on using ST multifunction sensors on the front/side/back doors to trigger the chime. Do not plan on ever using the actual doorbell (my old wired one still works fine).

I’ve been reading thru some of the related threads on this topic, and though I used to be a Java coder, it’s been 15 years since I was in an IDE so figured I would make sure I’m not doing something dumb before taking that step. I installed the Aeon and the ST hub recognized and configured it automatically. I then used the Smart Lighting smartapp to make the chime sound every time a multifunction sensor “opens”. It’s all working for the most part. The chime is a bit more delayed than I had hoped (2-3 seconds), but no biggie. The more annoying thing, though, is that it sounds twice, the 2nd time about 4 seconds after the first. It seems to have no relationship to whether the sensor remains open or closed during that time (I’ve tried immediately closing or leaving open). Any ideas? Next thing I might try is adding a long silence to the chime mp3 (current is only a few seconds long) to see if stops the 2nd chime, but will likely just delay it further. I’m guessing I could control all this easier with the code supplied in this thread, but like I said, thought I would check for any easy answers/suggestions first. Thanks!

Did you install the Aeon Labs Aeotec Doorbell device handler before adding the device?

If you can get the device to pair using secure inclusion, it should reduce the delay by 1-2 seconds.

Do you have the “Repeat” option set to 2 in the device settings?

This isn’t necessary. The doorbell’s default repeat setting is 2 so if you haven’t changed it, that’s what’s causing the problem.

If you’re not using the code on this thread, ignore the questions above.

The Doorbell is not a SmartThings supported device so you won’t be able to configure it properly without using a custom device handler. I think most people are happy with this device handler, but there are a couple of other ones floating around the forum.