[OBSOLETE] Aeon Labs Aeotec Doorbell

This is a known issue…

Has a solution been found to send a notification to your mobile device when the door bell rings?

Reading this thread is hard so sorry if this is in here somewhere.

Thanks,

I added the doorbell button to the Button Controller SmartApp, then configured it to Sms message me “Someone is at the front door” when pushed or held. Works well as long as the main doorbell unit is powered.

Hello, I am trying to make an alarm sound for few minutes, and since the device shuts down after about 23 seconds, I was trying to do something like this, but it still doesn’t work, any ideas please?

The first playreapeattrackatvolume runs, but not the second one…

Has anyone had an issue with the doorbell repeating itself and or stuttering. Last weekend, everything stopped working for me. I failed to check if there was an outage and started troubleshooting. During this process I reset the doorbell to factory defaults and re-added. I then updated from DTH v1.13.1 to DTH v1.14.1. The only thing I use this for is a speaker to announce when a door opens (don’t even have batteries in the button). Now every time I open a door, it plays the audio file twice or three times. Sometimes with a few stutters. Looking at the device event list, it looks normal. I’ve been running this for almost 2 years and this is the first time with issues.

How are you triggering the play event?

Are you using the repeat parameter in anhy of the commands

I am just using the Audio Notification in the Custom Smart Home Monitor. No option for repeat.

Does anyone have the version 1.13.1 device handler? I am lost as to what my issue is and the only thing I can think to try now is revert back to the version that last worked.

If you open live logging and post the log entries from when it messes up I might be able to see what’s causing the problem.

Some users have found Speaker Companion to be more reliable then Smart Home Monitor so you could also try that.

If you’re not using the device as a doorbell, enable the “Skip Doorbell Check” setting and disable the “Perform Extra Doorbell Check” setting.

Thanks Kevin. I opened my live logging and it was empty. (trying to figure out why, will post them when I figure it out)

I did enable “skip doorbell check” and disable the “perform extra doorbell check” settings.

I will look into speaker companion.

Live Logging only shows events that occur while that window is open so you need to open it and then play the announcement.

If you open the device and play the sounds using the tiles, do they play normally or have the same stuttering issue?

I changed the track for my doorbell, beep, and siren so that I could hear it (was a silent track) and tested the buttons. They seem to play normal, not repeat or stuttering.

It appears that my work laptop will not allow the logs to show. Switched to my home PC and was able to see them. I played with some of the settings. I turned on the “perform extra doorbell check” because when i was testing, it appeared that the doorbell was constantly going off in the classic app. Once I did this, most of the repeats stopped. The only event that still repeats is the “Back Door Open”. Looking at the log though, I don’t see anything different from the other events. (11:40:48 - 11:40:57) I also double checked the SHM settings for the different events and they are all configured identical.

I stand corrected, they all still stutter and repeat at least 2-3 times.

More troubleshooting and I think I may have figured out the issue. During the outage a few weeks ago, I tried deleting the doorbell, resetting to factory defaults, and reconnecting. (didn’t know about the outage) During this process I did not perform a “z-wave exclude” and I gave the device the same name when I reconnected. Last night I did a z-wave exclude and then reconnected the device as a different device name. It seems to be working fine now. I wonder if I created a “phantom node” when I removed the device the first time and the device thought it had two different node addresses. Causing it to receive the messages multiple times over the network. Would be nice to be able to actually see the z-wave network list, but I don’t really feel like buying more hardware just to do this.

1 Like

Well, I was wrong. It is back to stuttering / repeating itself 2-3 times.

Looks like this thread is long dead. but I need some help. I just bought an Aeotec Doorbell (Gen5) … and it won’t pair with my hub at all. I went through this forum and installed this handler thinking that it would help me out. But then realized that it doesn’t, since you were supposed to be able to pair and THEN install this device handler.

#sigh – Any idea why my doorbell won’t pair with my hub?

Are you tapping the action button once or twice during inclusion?

Have you tried performing a general exclusion from the hub utilities in the IDE?

Thanks Kevin … I did try the ‘tapping the button’ (both doorbell and button on the device) … and neither was working. (Also, no idea what a ‘general-exclusion’ is :slight_smile: )

However, after reading some more and finding people saying that it ‘Paired as a Siren’ … I went back in and instead of trying to do a ‘general add’, nor being frustrated at the lack of it appearing as a supported device. I went and tried to add an Aeotec Siren this time, AND THEN also did the tapping the button. And boom, it worked.

And then your code kicked in instantly and it works now! Thanks! – Won’t show up in the ‘new’ iOS app, only the old one. But works. Does the battery percent actually refer to the doorbell battery? (Very cool if so!)

Yes it reports the doorbell button battery level, but it on reports OK or low so as soon as it changes from 100% to 1% it needs to be replaced ASAP.

I cannot find the doorbell.
I have installed latest Device Handler and published it.
The doorbell is blinking blue.
I tried pressing action button when adding devices via app, but nothing happens.

What am I missing?
Thanks!